Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Longest Game?  (Read 8257 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Longest Game?
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:14:38 pm »

I just finished playing my first, and only, Dwarf Fortress game in which my fortress lasted beyond the first year.  Most do not last beyond a week.  Mostly thanks to this forum. MirrorSeeds The Halls of Beers, a Mountain Hall, lasted six years before a siege of Goblins showed me all the holes in my walls, how easy it was to bypass my drawbridges, how weak my warriors really were (I only trained 16 out of a populace of over a 130, too few, right?), and how siege equipment are worthless when nobody can get to them.  Too many doorways above ground too.   :-[
On the other hand, a few of the goblins did end up in some animal traps, crushed by rock-fall traps, and my war dogs put up a fight in some of the choke-points in the entry ways.   :P

Does anybody know of a city that has lasted beyond 20, 30, 40 game years?

I was thinking of joining one of the games but still feel a tad....unskilled.  Also not sure how that works.  I assume I can use FRAPS to take images, but how do you stop right on the first day of the new year.  Dwarf months confuse me.   :D

P.S. I need to learn how to use barrows or I need a order for all Dwarfs to enter the Fortress.  Like herding cats!

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Longest Game?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:01:28 pm »

if you set the game to auto save every year it will pause the game and save it. don't need fraps to take screenshots. just pause the game hit alt+prt scrn and paste it into paint or something. my most successful fort is going on 20+ years now

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:36:06 pm »

Herding cats is only a problem if you bring females. Commence the sausage fest of Axepains the Hell of Leather.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:09:54 am »

Don't use siege equipment and look into military alerts.
Making a fortress that is impossible to concur is possible but not very FUN.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:18:28 am »

Does anybody know of a city that has lasted beyond 20, 30, 40 game years?

My current fortress, Relicshield, is 41 years old.  What helped me the most in the early years was the construction of an underground trade network.  It cut down on merchant casualties and allowed me to trade for loads of iron and wood.  I had iron-armored dwarves with steel weapons before the first siege, and steel-clad soldiers soon after.

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:16:51 pm »

Don't use siege equipment and look into military alerts.
Making a fortress that is impossible to concur is possible but not very FUN.

I concur. On the subject of the OP my current fort is coming up for 30 years now. I still leave plenty of gaps in my defenses so that I'm not truly invincible, and never use my drawbridge, but it would take something unusual like a flying syndrome megabeast or swimming Titan in summer to cause a problem. I eagerly await this eventuality.

16 dwarves is a little on the low side, but I have 30 and that does more than enough as long as they are trained and equipped. I do use a danger room, but don't think of it as cheating. I just imagine the training room from Kung foo panda when I use it.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 01:30:33 pm »

Longest fort I ever had was 5 months. Damn dwarves keep dying when I drop cave-ins on them.

What a shame.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »

Flarechannel lasted for 270 years.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 02:24:27 pm »

Wow!  It just saw that it's also where the Fable of Catten and Eagle is from!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:26:26 pm by VerdantSF »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »

Longest fort I ever had was 5 months. Damn dwarves keep dying when I drop cave-ins on them.

What a shame.

Have you ever considered not to drop cave-in on them?

Mine longest fort is something like 7 years. Usually I'll get bored to long forts.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 03:36:17 pm »

Have you ever considered not to drop cave-in on them?

I didn't even think this was possible

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 04:06:10 pm »

I have made a fort which had lasted for 23 years. But...the game crashes (it wasn't even slow, i was still at 100 FPS, with temperature off). But it's easier for me because i kill all the dwarves over 45. I can handle the siege with a drowning corridor, and the rest is quite easy.

I have had sooooooooooooooo many artifacts.

the good thing is that i made a copy 3 years before the crash, so I could start another city (my civilisation is extincted, so dwarves are either created, either from previous fortresses) and my dwarves came to my new site quickly.

I plan to make a 30 years fortress, if it doesn't crash before.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:25:43 am »

I've had a couple of fortresses that lasted for around two decades. Actually, they've never fell, it was fps that stopped me from playing them any longer. (Well, the second one was still lumping around at quite a pace of thirties but some RL happenings were against it too)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 10:42:40 am »

I've got a fort that I started in 2008 that's at about 35 years now. It is, without a doubt, my favorite fort. There are several massive families that I like to think vie for power. They've fended off goblin sieges, dragon attacks, bronze colossus attacks, and more. The children of two of my founders got married and had kids of their own. Plus it's a 40d fort, so there are nobles, a tax collector, a philosopher, and all those other fun positions that didn't have much actual purpose.

Every single dwarf is renamed, too, because that's just how I did it back then.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 10:54:59 am »

Flarechannel lasted for 270 years.
If my FPS ever hit 10, I would just stop playing. Don't know how this guy survived.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.
Pages: [1] 2 3