Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Merchantlusts - Turn 6: Madness and Chaos and Death, Oh My  (Read 16966 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Merchantlusts - Turn 4: Necromancers Making S'mores
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2013, 03:55:04 am »

I'm sure we can trade bones or prepared dwarf meals to caravans, and insane dwarves can be used as cannon fodder while we murder the goblins and strip them of their possessions for selling.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2013, 08:45:23 am »

Business Journal, 7th Moonstone, 554:

Somebody has been destroying all the drawbridges.  How can we defend ourselves when people keep fighting each other and wrecking the Fortress?

Well, it has rained and the water cistern has refilled.  Not that I know what to do with it.  Flooding fields which don’t seem to have anything growing in them seems a waste.  Nobody seems to plant anything.

I assign another Captain of the Guard, a Broker, and a Bookkeeper!  What has happened to those I had before!  And the new major is mad at the fact that somebody else is now in his quarters.  I wish they would tell me when they voted a new idiot into the office.

Unib Oddomasdug, one of our recruits, married to Urdim Callarrow, had a girl on the 1st of Moonstone, 554, in winter.  What a world for her to enter in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But shortly afterwards a child died of thirst RIGHT in the dining room!

On the 5th of Moonstone Oddom Imazkilrud was taken by a MOOD.   Who knows what will happen now.

I’m not even sure how I can continue to write this as I have been informed of my own murder on the 19th of Timber, 554.   The best and brightest have gone insane or died from lack of drink or have been murdered!  The list of those being punished grows daily!

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!   I am a DEAD overseer!   BOO!

-------------------------------------
ooc - Looks like 'Bobnova' and 'The Saint' have both died.  I didn't even notice my own death - seems I was murdered!   
Peregarrett, I will dorf you the second we have any migrants.  Ordered the drawbridges and depot be rebuilt but nobody is doing any of the jobs I have requested.  I may have to go to each workstation and deleted the jobs given to them earlier.  Also, I keep losing my nobles.  Which, no doubt, effects job management.
I have never needed so many coffins in so short a time.  Not that anybody is building any - too busy freaking out, killing each other, freaking out from the dead body they just found, destroying something, so on.  No way to wall them off - everybody is doing it. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:00:07 am by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2013, 11:05:43 am »

A short time ago I generated a new world and stumbled across a dwarven civ called The Incenerated Sabres. It is situated on a small deserted island which has a rocky badland biome on it. How about  estabilishing a trading depot somewhere in a hotter climate? I mean, in the center of a SCORCHING WASTELAND . Is "Scorchingswords" a good name for this enterprise?
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2013, 11:58:26 am »

Try designating a burrow outside and forcing everyone out in an emergency evacuation. Make sure it's near a water source (do we have a river?) so everyone can subsist on vermin for a bit. Then feed the sane dwarves back into the fort one by one and see if they can start getting some damage control done.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2013, 12:07:00 pm »

Try designating a burrow outside and forcing everyone out in an emergency evacuation. Make sure it's near a water source (do we have a river?) so everyone can subsist on vermin for a bit. Then feed the sane dwarves back into the fort one by one and see if they can start getting some damage control done.

Sounds little dangerous in this area, what with zombies and such, but I may try that or something close to it.  Or I can just keep killing the ones who go berserk.  Sooner or later I'll have only some calm ones - I hope. 

Survival of the Calmest.   :D

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2013, 12:09:07 pm »

There's zombies? Even better! The berserkers can have someone who isn't valuable to loose their fury upon! :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2013, 05:40:03 pm »

Post-apocalyptic greetings to you all. Must say, I've seen happier dorfs...lol.
I think StLeibowitz has a good idea:
It would be really something if we could bring it back from the brink of destruction.
I think the lack of water may have actually been the root cause of the earliest freakouts. Injured dorfs not receiving water/being cleaned.
What's the situation with the murky pool on the surface? If it has refilled, as you say, then it might be possible to re-fill the well with clean water. Also, there might be enough water to run the waterfall in the meeting hall - which would lead to some much-needed happy thoughts.
First off, deal with any undead. Atom smasher, anyone?
Then how about this?...you only need to build one windmill and pull one, possibly two, levers:
This will in all likelihood at the very least refill the well, providing a clean water source - without the need for a pump stack from an underground lake (if one has been found).
Making sure there's some soap would be a nice afterthought.
I reckon that's the route to salvation.
Other thoughts...

Edits: Expansion, refinement and suchlike.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:48:31 pm by Dwarvinator »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2013, 09:18:56 am »

Business Journal, 1st Granite, 555:

By the Gods of Blood.  There are so many bodies that even the hospital has become a pit of decay and bad air.  Miasma is everywhere.

Risen Gebmeng gave birth to a baby girl while throwing a tantrum!  HAHAHA!  What a world!

The traders left on the 18th of Moonstone, no doubt to escape this madhouse.  And because we offered them no profit.  No trade very likely means no new colonists will be coming.  Why come to this place?   

So hard to dip the quill into the ink well and to form letters.  I doubt I will be able to keep my soul together much longer.  Some coffins have been built and now must be placed.  I don't think we can make them fast enough.  For every birth there are four or five deaths. 

It has been reported, on the 19th of Moonstone, that Logem Konrigoth, the Glassmaker, has been missing for a week.  There goes my idea of glass toys and blocks and windows.  There is no beauty here....

20th of Moonstone.  The glassmaker has been found.  Dead.  Dehydrated.   

The outer drawbridge has been rebuilt!  Now if they will just link it to the lever.

BronzeAge is the current Mayor.  He had least seems to have some commonsense.  He is the one constructing the stone coffins!   What a thing for a Mayor to have to do in his own town.

Who made this Fortress?  All the winding tunnels that go nowhere or make even a simple job a labor!

Well, at least I have finally been buried!  So I will not become a ghost like that.

No wonder nobody can get a meal around here.  What with a haunted dining room!?!?!

26th of Opal.   Oddom went insane.  I guess we did not have what was needed.  I will get the military ready.

HAHAHA!  The poor Mayor is now chatting with the liaison from the Mountainhomes, Fath Alathakrul.  What a joke.

Oh goodie.  The rock pots I ordered when I first took over have finally been completed on 14th Obsidian.  Oh goodie gum drops. 

Oh no!  The undead are attacking and already inside the fortress!  Call the military!  What is left of them....
The fighting was swift.  Our three warriors made short work of the partial undead Goblin skeletons, limbs, and, I believe, one head.  It seemed to be caused by a human necromancer.  He was killed when one of our soldiers rammed his right fist through the human's skull.

Oh, and there was Kobold thieves sneaking in also.  The tunnels zigzag so much it is hard for our troops to arrive in time to do anything with so many single targets!

Spring!  Spring has arrived!

--------------------------
OOC - I can try the windmill idea but even now many Dwarfs refuse to move into that area - the very water filled pond that could help us is treated like a barrier - it blocks them from even collecting plants from that part of the surface!  Peregarrette - unless I name a current Dwarf or baby after you I doubt we are getting any fresh new colonists.  NOW I get to try to play a whole year.  I doubt I will be able to finish - Sunday am going to spend about a week with family so somebody may have to take over before my 'turn' ends.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2013, 10:58:07 am »

What an epic struggle!

You've done a good job running this nuthouse so far. If you want, you can pass the Overseer's credentials to StLeibowitz.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2013, 10:35:13 am »

Business Journal, 1st Hematite, 555:

Nobody wishes to go outside and build a windmill.  Just one windmill!

And we have ghosts.  I hate ghosts.  No, I know the irony of that statement.  I don't care!  Some of them are hiding items and scaring those of the living still....well, living.

And the birds are fighting.  Why would they cram all those birds into such a small space?   Who designed this place?

What?!?!   On the 8th of Slate, 555, I have been told we have new comers.  Migrants!   Buwhahahahahaha!  Are they insane.   Well...now that I think of it....everybody has calmed down lately.  Well, we have lots of food, drink, and empty bedrooms to welcome them!

I dismissed the military.  Well, took them off of active duty anyway.

Still, nobody uses the dining room anymore.  Too dirty and disgusting.  They really should have built a series of smaller dining areas. 

22nd of Slate.  Risen Gebmeng has organized a party.  I wonder why?  A wedding maybe?

HA!  Got my Glass Furnace completed and found some sand under ground to collect from.  One thing out of all my beauty schemes.   So much for industry!

Well, the strongest have survived. 

Oh goodie.  On the 14th of Felsite a Elven caravan decided to grace us with their appearance.  As we still do not have a depot they can go hug some trees.  Still, we need to finish it soon.  We need plump helmets and that means trade with a future Dwarven caravan.

Kobolds killed one of our tame bunnies!   NOOO!  And there was an ambush!   Why?  We don't have anything to loot!  Why would Goblins come here?  Oh...they attacked the elves.  Oh, well, that's ok.

Hmmm..will somebody PULL the lever to the drawbridge please?  and respond to the alert?  Why are people NOT going to their assigned barrow? 

Another ambush? 
And while our brave warriors fight off the second wave Fath Alathakrul, our Hunter, withdraws from society.  Right when a bow would be most useful.    And people keep going outside even after I sounded the alarm and told them all, outside of the military of course, to go to the barrow!   

Hmm...seems the Goblins, with some help from those pointy ears, have been chased off or killed.  Good.

The Hunter has taken over a Craftsdwarf's Workshop.  I wonder what she will produce...
Really?  How special.

1st. Hematite.  It has been reported that we have found raw adamantine.  Oh goodie.

Time to move into the light...
------------------------------------------------
ooc - Peregarrett has been dorfed, we had a wave of 3 migrants (poor saps), and I got things to settle down by the end of Spring.  Time for me to retire. I am dead after all.  Will upload the save and link it in the next posting.  For the next fool..er..overseer -there are still some ghosts, giant animal attacks, and more coffins need to be built.  And the depot is in the job list but they keep pushing it off.  You do have a ton of food, drink, and bedrooms.  Just need to clean things up.  But YOU need plump helmet spawn!  And if you get plump helmets make sure they don't eat them!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2013, 12:04:38 pm »

Could not seem to upload it into DFFD - so used Google Drive.

Hope that works!   Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:02:36 pm by callisto8413 »

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2013, 11:59:43 am »

Wonderful, I thought I was going to be beaten to death by a ghost or something.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2013, 06:58:03 pm »

Wonderful, I thought I was going to be beaten to death by a ghost or something.

Don't worry.  I am sure sooner or later something will beat you to a bloody, painfully, slow death.  Maybe a magma crab or a zombie arm or a ghost of a dead child.  Also remember, our medical staff have issues and our hospital is full of dead people.  :D

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Merchantlusts - Turn 6: Madness and Chaos and Death, Oh My
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2013, 12:40:28 am »

Oh, looks like I can play my half-year turn to the end!
Is it ok with everyone?

EDIT: Downloaded the save. Who did you dorf me with? I see only BronzeAge and DarkStar having nicknames here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:52:23 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Merchantlusts - Turn 6: Madness and Chaos and Death, Oh My
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:29 am »

Good job guys.

I'll properly update the OP... eventually.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15