Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Merchantlusts - Turn 6: Madness and Chaos and Death, Oh My  (Read 16972 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchantlusts - Turn 2: Mandatory Naked Party
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2013, 12:17:04 pm »

I downloaded the save to have a peek and am a tad confused.  I am use to seeing region 1 and current in my save folder.  Do I unzip and place all the contents from Merchantlusts folder (the Merchantlust folder INSIDE the zip folder) into the Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 folder?  Sorry - first bloodline game.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2013, 12:21:19 pm »

Place the Merchantlust folder inside the zip folder into your "save" folder and start the game up.

The Merchantlust folder is just a renamed "region 1" folder, you can rename any save folder and the game will recognize the name change when you go to select a world to play in.

The "current" folder is just the temp folder that the game uses while you're actually playing and is unnecessary for sharing saves.

edit: holy shit "folder" doesn't look like a real word anymore
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 12:34:27 pm »

Yes, for some reason my hands don't wish to type folder....
Thanks.  It worked.  Like the set up.  Lots of room on top of the hill.  Nice water source. Already listing projects to do on top of that hill if people don't beat me to it.  Not a lot of wood though... but stone can be used for almost everything but beds.  And fuel....
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2013, 04:57:27 am »

"And now, lets have a peek on our fellow dwarves! Privacy? What do you mean? They're runnin' around half naked!"

So, here we have Argembarger, our previous Overseer. Uh-uh.

Yours truly, Monitor Lizard Lisard ^<>^

Uristoteles gal.

Wow, she totally kicked that kobold's little ass.

Our bookkeeper, manager and self-proclaimed saint... Well, Saint he is.

ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2013, 07:44:21 am »

Wow, she totally kicked that kobold's little ass.

There actually exists an alternate dimension where that kobold sliced off Saint's left foot. I watched it happen.

Apparently my computer couldn't take it because halfway through the next in-game month it crashed and I had to replay Winter.

I probably should have made mention of that event, because it was pretty funny. Saint's foot flew off in a spray of blood, right in the entrance tunnel near the depot, and he limped off to a bed before the kobold even started running away.
I can see it now.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2013, 09:30:21 am »

Right, so a terrible thing happened. Switched off the computer without saving. No worries, start again.

The militia is no longer in underwear. Scrapped that idea. The Turquoise Crowns are mean, good with colours and mean business.

Argembarger is the militia commander. He was created just in time for The Epic Battle with a Giant Tiercel Peregrine. I thought it was all over at the beginning, but somehow our plucky hero managed to escape near death, finishing with the mightiest comeback of all time. He started unarmed...

Pics to follow if I ran out of data allowance.

So...I adapted the strip mines to accommodate the Meeting Hall, dorm, some bedrooms and some industry. I also set up a system to filter the murky pool...

The Water Deal

The whole thing rests on the hope that enough rain will fall to re-fill the pool...and also that we don't draw off too much water at one time. If there's less than 2/7 anywhere in it, it'll evaporate off and it might not refill again. End of water, well, sanity...

Happily, it's simple. Ensure the murky pool is totally filled to the top. Make sure the first pump in the chain is switched off, which is the microcline lever on the farming level. Open the floodgate for the sump - mudstone lever near the food/booze production area. Filling this to the brim will leave enough for Murky Pool to survive. Shut the floodgate. Switch on the first pump. Whoosh, and the water system will be topped up. The circulation system is already running. It's far from perfect. My God, it reads like a plumbing manual.

Trading...was..a...nightmare...

The elves got fucked over by a Giant Werepanda, lol, but I managed to recover some of the gear. We were real lucky there. It scarpered after chewing on a couple of elves. When the dorfs came I cobbled together 50K worth of stuff for their 40k. They wouldn't have it, the swine. Couldn't grab, so just dismantled the Depot, recovered some weapons and armour at least.

Anyway, everything is indoors. The bridge in the entry is operated by a lever just a couple of squares sw of the grate in the meeting hall. Oh, and I think I've sealed off the upper meadow so it can only be reached by internal stairs.

There is a military of one, the fields need sorting out, no clothing is being produced and there's no metal industry.

I hope you don't mind that I dorfed myself. I'm hoping to see my dorf self save lots of lives during the course of this thing.

Am uploading the rar now...it's taking a while...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:57:11 am by Dwarvinator »

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2013, 10:04:03 am »

The Epic Battle with a Giant Tiercel Peregrine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2013, 10:07:50 am »

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2013, 10:25:58 am »

Oh, thought it worth mentioning that I've walled in the mudstone lever on the farming level, because to open that flood gate would mean disaster for the water system.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 10:34:34 am »

And finally...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7780

I'm on it. Good job, Dwarvinator. I like the idea of water processor.

We should call this "Giant Tiersel Peregrine Grand Power Pwnage."

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:42:56 am by Monitor Lisard »

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:50 am »

"Merchantlusts. Where naked soldiers fuck up giant tiersel peregrines while elves are destroyed by werepandas, and the whole enterprise is run by goblin bureaucrats."

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:02 am »

Plumbing Manual:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:44:02 am by Dwarvinator »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2013, 11:19:06 am »

So I had arteries and nerves demolished in my
-Left upper arm
-Left lower arm
-Left hand (twice!)

I sure hope my dwarf is right-handed.

Entertaining turn! This is getting exciting. ::popcorn::
I can see it now.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2013, 11:24:31 am »

Oh, you survived. You are now armed with an, I think, +<iron war hammer>+, and dressed in bronze. Lots of nasty scars to tell the grandkiddies about, too, because I believe love is in the air. Truly took one hell of a pasting. The fight took part in three bouts, you were incredibly brave. After one tumble/collision you scampered off to pick up the dagger...the rest is the stuff of legend.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:54:39 am by Dwarvinator »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Merchantlusts - Turn 3: Magic Daggers from Nowhere
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2013, 11:56:46 am »

The plumbing system you've set up is very clever. Digging up into the pool without draining it dry must have been tricky. Did you close the floodgate before you dug up, and just let the dwarf flop its way to the surface?

As far as precipitative matters go, our climate is warm enough that the pools never freeze, and it rains enough that they refill (although, slowly. It took from summer to winter in my turn to get it up from 5s and 4s to mostly 6s)

In case of catastrophe, I suppose we could always channel some of the other pools into the main one.
I can see it now.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15