Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Merchantlusts - Turn 6: Madness and Chaos and Death, Oh My  (Read 16967 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Merchantlusts - The Oniomaniacal Fortress [Players Wanted?!]
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:14 pm »

yep yep yep
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 07:09:48 pm »

ah, that sounds like the first succesion fortress I want to participate in.
And I'm up to squeezing some words out of my fingers, throw me into the turn list, if you please!
A dorfing would be nice to, maybe a gem setter or glassmaker? Or just one on your whim  ;)

edit: p.s.: as far as my knowledge goes, this is the first time for a fortress to have such a theme.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:19:57 pm by Uristoteles »

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 05:00:31 am »

You good for Turn 2, Dwarvinator?

That would be great. Standing by.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 09:11:16 am »

Excellent. Okay, I think we can get started now.

I plan to find someplace interesting, on a smallish world, and I'm willing to gen worlds until I get it. It won't be too prohibitively impossible. There shouldn't be too many husking mists.

3x3 embark (or thereabouts) good for everyone?

Otherwise, expect a bit of delay in my updates. I work, I enjoy writin' and I enjoy screenshots.
I can see it now.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 10:10:00 am »

3x3 is sound by me. I work and do stuff too, but I'll check in here every day or two.
Incidentally, if you're struggling to buy out your first year's worth of goods, why not divest the population of their clothes? There might be a few bob in selling the actual shirts off their backs.

Edit: I'm thinking if you leave them their undercrackers, they might not go critical.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:25:27 am by Dwarvinator »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:22 am »

3x3 okay by me.  Already figured out what I am going to make by the ton when I take over.   After making myself a gold table, of course.  And remember, coffins cost money.  Just toss our dead bodies out when we collapse! 
:D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 11:22:12 am »

3x3 embark (or thereabouts) good for everyone?

Otherwise, expect a bit of delay in my updates. I work, I enjoy writin' and I enjoy screenshots.
3x3 is fine. It might not be a  great megapolis, but it might be a great town full of beardy greedy jerks. :D

How about building a museum dedicated to dwarven greed and industriousness? We could use it as a storage for some of the most valuable goods.

Anyway, I hope it'll be !!FUN!! enough. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:24:07 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 03:00:38 am »

I'm planning to draw something for the back story. Maybe our own Merchantlusts community flag  or something.

UPDATE

Here's my variant:

The latin phrase means "Anyone may trade". I can change it, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:52:27 am by Monitor Lisard »

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 09:29:30 pm »

Diary of 'Argembarger' Arrosudil

1st Granite, 551

We have arrived.

You know, if you had told me last year that being a shrewd shopper was a crime, you'd've waddled off with an imprint of my designer boots on your ass.

Exile? Seriously? Am I not a dwarf? Does my skull not get jammed into my brain when I am punched, just as any other dwarf?

If my family actually had a problem with ME spending MY hard-earned money on a few pleasant worldly luxuries, they should have said something to me about it. Starving to death is just immature.

This world we live on produces such nice things. Just because I want to own them more than most doesn't make me some kind of sub-dwarf cretin. My neighbors at the Ships of Honoring were always awful; they probably just wanted me out of the way so they could snag all the best things at the market. That's gotta be it. I can't right blame them; I'd trump up dwarfslaughter charges on my own grandma if she outbid me at auction.

Well, they've clearly underestimated my cleverness and resolve. My name is Argembarger Throwerlanterns, and in my exile, I shall establish the world's most successful trading outpost! History shall mark my deeds and tremble! This season only, zero-interest financing for all caravan wagons loaded with at least 2000Γ in goods!

Trade brokers from around the world shall think of me before they sleep at night.

Luckily, I won't be doing this alone. There were a few more exiles sent away at the same time I was. I've gotten to know a few of them on the walk out here.

First, there's 'Saint' Rabkadol.

He hasn't told me any of his skills, or anything. I don't think he has any. We'll soon change that. At any rate, he got exiled for, if I understand correctly, proclaiming to be some kind of holy dwarf and passing out pamphlets in a dining hall. I don't judge. If he's willing to work, I'll call him whatever he likes.

Next up is 'Monitor Lisard' Rithilral.

This gal's a bit kooky, I gotta admit. Seems she was a carpenter and whittler once upon a time. Talks about leopard seal teeth a lot, for some reason. Got exiled for misspelling "lizard". Hey, our civilization is unfair as hell. I can empathize. Her crafts should prove useful for the plans I have in mind.

Last is 'Uristoteles' Cudistadil.

This lady got exiled for sneezing all over a shipment of fine gems.

What the merchants don't know won't hurt us.

There's a few more of us. Atis, Imush, and Zas. All I know is that Atis is a farmer and brewer who got exiled for trying to modify a proprietary Dwarven Wine recipe, Imush is a mason and stonecarver who got exiled for carving an, erm, "poorly-endowed" statue of our mayor, and Zas is a woodcutter who got exiled for enjoying being outdoors too much.

I'm sure I'll get to know them a little better soon enough.

Speaking of the outdoors, here's the place my cousin tipped me on before I left the ol' homestead for good.

A serene, beautiful example of Mother Gaia's pristine grandeur

I think some of these trees might need to go.

And by "some", I mean "most, if not all". Trees are nice, but what trader wouldn't like to buy an earring made from an entire full-grown oak?

Unfortunately, the exile was so fast that I wasn't able to bring my trusty hound. The only animals we've got with us are the ones that pulled our wagon. Some yaks. I wonder if their bones are valuable?

This hill looks kind of like an animal, though.

I dub this hill "Mt. Fatpooch"

= = == === ===== ======== ============= =====================

I hope you guys enjoy my writing style.

We've got borders with every race. And goblins with whom we are at war. And a tower.

This is... going to be Fun.

I'm considering fortifying Mt. Fatpooch.

Stay tuned for updates, kiddos.
I can see it now.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 09:51:45 pm »

Yes! Fortify Mount Fatpooch and cast for it a shell of gold! The God of Oniomania demands it!

...the God of Oniomania whom I appear to worship. These are some interesting gods; "the Strategic Luxuries", "the Mirror of Cats", "the Guilds of Fortune"...seems to be well suited for this project.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 03:52:06 am »

"You say what?! Do I look like I'm wearin' a suit of scales? By Toral's name, LISARD is spelled with "S"! WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING AT ME?! IT! IS! MY! NAME! Yes, my duckin' name is spelled like THIS. Yes, I know it sounds weird... Whatever. You can call me "Lizard", buddy. Anyway, ye want to hear a story, huh? Listen closely, kid. Lemme just have a sip of good ol' tuber beer..."

"Ok, here we go. Once upon a time, there was a dwarwen town called Merchantnourished. The name rings a bell, right? So, there lived a beautiful young female dwarf, whose hairy arms and hips could... Nevermind. Her name was Monitor Lisard, and she earned a living doing a carpenter's job. Yeah, she was a fine carpenter. I bet those duckers still remember who built that nice pine floor."
"One day she was mandated to make about 30 wooden animal traps for two-legged rhino lizards and for the usual ones. Those little punks lived all over the fortress. And so, that girl did a good job, I say. She consructed 30 *alder animal trap*s. What do you think happened next? They sacked me! Err, I mean, her! You know, why? Cuz she spelled a word "lizard" wrong! Using her trusty giant leopard seal tooth chisel, she wrote "Two-legged leopard seal rhino lisard" on every single trap she had built!
She got no money for this, and so she couldn't pay her rent. She decided to move, then... And now, she's standing here, in this wagon, drinking tuber beer and thinking of her future."

"Hey, we've finally arrived. Man, look at those plains! That hill looks like a leopard seal lying on its side!"

Brothers and sisters, welcome to Merchantlusts. :D

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:40 am »

Sounds good.  Like the idea of a fortress on top of the hill.  A tower, with walls, floors, glass windows, and such, keep the Dwarfs busy.  You know the old saying, 'Idle Dwarfs are tree-hugging Elves'.  And we can rain bolts down onto invaders!
And people we don't like.
Buwahahahahahaha!   :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 12:33:02 pm »

Mt. Fatpooch is unfortunately a little too close to the northern border of the embark for comfort. But I do think it would be neat to do something interesting with it. Perhaps dig into it from below and replace the soil with fortifications, turning it into a pillbox that we can funnel invaders and caravans past with walls along the map and such.

I probably won't have time to do any of that, but it's something I can envision.
I can see it now.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 08:10:53 am »

I'm planning to draw something for the back story. Maybe our own Merchantlusts community flag  or something.

UPDATE

Here's my variant:

You should change it into : " Carpe mercatorem natum "
Or : Seize the merchant naked.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 08:52:27 am »

UPDATE

Here's my variant:

You should change it into : " Carpe mercatorem natum "
Or : Seize the merchant naked.
Or perhaps "Furtum ante ignobilitatem"
..."Theft before dishonour"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15