Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: You are a Lord II  (Read 33553 times)

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Lord II
« Reply #345 on: June 27, 2013, 03:46:38 pm »

"We have orders for you, mercenary. You shall scout the Alving forces and find out their numbers and predisposition. Once you gathered that information, you shall return ot my marshall and join forces with royal army for battle with Alvings."
OK.  I accept your charter.  Now to discuss payment and recruiting options.  I ask for permission to recruit any and all volunteers from your population and possibly your current standing  army. Also, how much are you going to pay me?

"I think you will understand if I refuse you to poach soldiers from royal army or my population, unless you accept commission as a full-time standing regiment at a set number of soldiers that you will be able to reinforce to full strength. Your pay, from what was told me, should be about 15 pounds, with potential increase as a reward for good service. You are forbidden from looting when in my service, because you are yet to earn my trust to act as an independent unit. I am yet to see you in action so you must understand my precautions and reservations. Once you prove yourself in the field, access to more recruits and privileges will be given to you. What say you?"

OK.  I'll do the task you assigned to me.  Sorry for any disrespect you may of perceived. 

Leave the audience chamber.  Don't 'poach' recruits from his army, but take any and all volunteers from the main population.  Just don't tell the king.
((I would encourage you to observe the protocol and play your role. Brood got into hot water for speaking to the king like to a commoner.))
((Um...  Screw you?  :D))

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 27, 2013, 06:54:50 pm »

Make myself useful in any way possible.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 28, 2013, 11:59:44 am »

Make myself useful in any way possible.

Train the levies of the royal demesne to the Structured rank. Invite the drillmaster along.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47:56 pm »

((Oh, right, there's one of those. That should be the last one.))

Time for Grewie to attempt an actual plan:
Take some dirt and attempt to make a vaguely humanoid form with it.

You fashion a crude doll out of dirt.  It isn't exactly a masterpiece, but it has arms, legs and a defined head.  You poke a couple of eyeholes in it for good measure, satisfying the basic requirements for the binding.  The demon starts flitting around excitedly, eager to inhabit the new form.  Gathering your mental energies, you focus on drawing the demon in and binding it to the form.  With a willing participant the process is easy, almost too easy, and the demon is bound with all agency into the tiny doll's form.

Your magic sense tingles and you 'see' the demon inhabit the earthen doll, extending its form throughout it and starting to change its structure.  The arms and legs gain a little definition, though essentially remaining crude blobs, and the dirt hardens into a sort of terra cotta.  The eyeholes first glow and then burn with yellow light.  You complete the last incantation and seal the demon completely within its new form.  The little clay man turns to you and bows crudely.  It then turns to the door and punches the air with one 'fist'.

A maelstrom of fire blazes forth from the demon's arm, consuming the door and leaving a gaping hole.  You can see the charred and still flaming bodies of the two guards beyond, literally ashen where the flame struck them.  The demon turns and bows to you again, then runs out of the hut faster than a bird in flight, almost blurring with speed.  You take advantage of the gaping hole and run pell mell for the woods, reaching them before anyone can react to what just happened.

You are certain that this will have no lasting consequences.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 29, 2013, 07:10:35 am »

Head straight for the capital.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 29, 2013, 08:46:35 am »

Arcadius still had the spear when he invited the Librarian to his quarters. No one else but the king himself and the scholar were in the room when Arcadius revealed the artifact. He laid the Wildspear on the table, unwrapping it and letting the scholar look at it before he spoke.

"I have a request of you to make. Look at this artifact and tell me what you know. My house's history goes back as far as Meridian himself, but his artifacts were lost, as well as the first crown jewels.
Among them was a spear, a crowned helmet and a cloak. Could this possibly be one of Meridan's lost artifacts?"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:05:46 am by Ardas »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2013, 08:50:41 am »

"Allow me some time to look at it sire and I shall look into it."
Kyle says inspecting the spear carefully.
((This is to note just to give me time to write an appropriate description for the roll.))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 30, 2013, 05:17:15 pm »

"Well sire, I consulted the history books and it would seem that it is not the spear you are thinking of. If it is then someone really took artistic license with the description because while it is definitely an artifact of great power it is not the spear we are thinking of. Which by the way is supposed to be iron with a golden head and papal markings. As you know the cloak is held by the king of Hugues and we both know they're the most powerful kingdom on this continent. None of the reclamation attempts have been successful of course. And we don't have any documents on the crown after it was stolen. I would think the spear and crown would be in the hands of either non-papal Ogres or it might, and this is a very big might all things considered, have been stolen by elves. And then there's the rumors of adventurers and the like. But I would not pursue the spear and crown without concrete evidence that the people we think have it actually have it."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:44:45 pm by kj1225 »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 01, 2013, 06:59:14 am »

"Hmm, intriguing, to say the least. I wish to have more information on those if possible. For now it seems that Meridian's artifacts are out of my grasp, but I do not intend to stop looking."
The king wrapped the spear back and took it.

"Before we are done, what do you think of locating the college in Penters? The town could use a boost next year if we begin construction there."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 01, 2013, 08:52:11 am »

"I think that's a wonderful idea."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 01, 2013, 12:03:03 pm »

"You are awfully concise for a scholar. I thought you tend to be rather wordy when explaining things."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 01, 2013, 12:17:48 pm »

"What good is an explanation if you don't understand it?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 03, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »

War was in the air and Carling deciding that with his recent screwup with the burgher it was time to get back in the good graces with the king wandered into the lands of the hillmen, playing an old song all to well known to those living near the borders

Can you feel the shivering of the ground?
Can you see the Smoke on the Horizon?
Can you hear the War-Drums steady beat?
Thousands it must be!

There they stand
in rank and file,
feeling the touch of death,
filled with hate and rabid lust
all they want is Twilight ground to dust!

The Ogres charge,
trampling everything,
The Ogres charge,
nothing withstands their Will,
The Ogres charge,
chanting in their tongues,
The Ogres charge,
...and everything burns.

To Defend your home is what you crave,
but fail in it you will,
The Sunlit Horde is mighty and
you a little nil,
valiant yet vain you are,
i suggest you make a run,
take a few belongings and flee like frightened hare,

But should you decide to stand your ground,
you will die in vain,
take your things do it fast,
leave behind your wain,
they'll cut your throat,
do things far worse,
your life is here at stake,
Rack off!
Retreat!
Make Haste,Go Fast Cause they will soon be here!

The Ogres charge,
they trample everything,
The Ogres charge,
The Ogres charge,
The Ogres charge,
...and everything burns.

Now they are here you foolish dunce,
they won't have any mercy,
they take your wife, your kid and
all which made you wealthy,
Hottest Blaze as red as Blood,
is all which you'll retain,
silent,still we all face our ruin,

The Ogres charge,
they trample everything,
The Ogres charge,
The Ogres charge,
The Ogres charge,
...and everything burns.

Spreading the myth that the Ogres will be marching with the King of Meridia and using his songcraft, Carling tries to demoralize the Hillmen for good.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 04, 2013, 09:54:50 am »

[1+1-1] Carling is a great bard and poet and his songs inspire Meridians to war, but have no effect on Hillmen whatsoever. Not only they are a distant people that have little contact with Meridia proper, with little trade and little travel, but those that hear the song laugh mirthily and warm themselves up for combat with the hated ogres. Sigrfrid's actions seemingly inspired the tribesmen and worked them up to a state that each new obstacle only makes thme more eager for combat. The song only goaded them further and made them desire invation even more.

You can be sure that unless dealt a shattering blow in battle, the hillmen will not back down from the field.

Head straight for the capital.
[1,6] You travel with your newly aqcuired companion/bound demon, however he proves to be a litte too mischevious as he sets the woods you travel through ablaze. You manage to escape  however, but the blaze is visible from a long distance and no doubt hillmen know of your escape sooner than you would like. They are certain to invade Meridia now, with determination of their leader and your actions spurrign thme on. You manage to make your trip back quickly however and you manage to avoid any further adventures, except for heearing a new song in one of the taverns. You are certain its one of Karling's new hits. Only he can rhyme so badly.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:28:32 am by Ardas »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:53 am »

((Now...for me to remember what color my speech is.))

Grewie returned, battered and singed.

"I must speak with the king as soon as possible. It is a matter of national security."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26