Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: You are a Lord II  (Read 33554 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Lord II
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2013, 01:20:37 pm »

"Hm...this could be difficult. I can't promise the demon a body if it breaks me out first because breaking me out mostly requires a body. I can't make much of a body in here, so I need to send the demon out, don't I? But then would I be 'giving' it a body? Demons are so...unpredictable and fickle at times. Ideally, the demon would be able to possess the chief and come back to break me out, then the Alvlings would be out a chief...hm...tough."

Determine if the demon would be willing to free me if I sent it to obtain a sleeping body outside, on its own.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2013, 01:33:08 pm »

Well, sire, if I might be so bold. What convinced you to locate the college in Penters. It's an abandoned town, and while it might live up soon, due to it's location near one of the new Kings road's bridges, I'd have expected that it would be build in the capital. After all, that's where it's potential students live.
Also, while I'm grateful to serve as siege engineer, I must note that there's only so much one can do with the materials and workforce available on a battlefield. If we wish to field some of the more effective siege weaponry, we will need to commission their construction in advance. After all, the construction of a Mangonel or Trebuchet is no light and easy affair.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:41:28 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2013, 01:46:11 pm »

"Hm...this could be difficult. I can't promise the demon a body if it breaks me out first because breaking me out mostly requires a body. I can't make much of a body in here, so I need to send the demon out, don't I? But then would I be 'giving' it a body? Demons are so...unpredictable and fickle at times. Ideally, the demon would be able to possess the chief and come back to break me out, then the Alvlings would be out a chief...hm...tough."

Determine if the demon would be willing to free me if I sent it to obtain a sleeping body outside, on its own.

Unfortunately you need physical access to the 'body' in question.  In fact, the terms of the pact would be satisfied if you used a fly, or a crude doll made of straw.  It just needs to resemble a living thing to work; this is quite similar to the process used to create familiars and homunculi.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2013, 02:48:41 pm »

((What kind of supernatural powers would the demon have? I can't imagine that it could hold its end of the bargain up if it had all the abilities of a mundane housefly...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2013, 03:09:59 pm »

Well, sire, if I might be so bold. What convinced you to locate the college in Penters. It's an abandoned town, and while it might live up soon, due to it's location near one of the new Kings road's bridges, I'd have expected that it would be build in the capital. After all, that's where it's potential students live.
Also, while I'm grateful to serve as siege engineer, I must note that there's only so much one can do with the materials and workforce available on a battlefield. If we wish to field some of the more effective siege weaponry, we will need to commission their construction in advance. After all, the construction of a Mangonel or Trebuchet is no light and easy affair.

"Those matters will be seen to in due time. If you provide my Marshal with a list of needed materials, I would be most interested in acquiring siege engines to rain fire on those barbarians."

----------------------
After the council....

Arcadius decided to visit the infirmary of the castle, a well-lit and clean wing of the castle just opposite the small godswood. Despite the traditions of old worship having died away under papacy and foreign courts held the idea of a palace garden to be a more appropriate way of keeping greenery within the walls, Meridia still clung to the old custom, venerable trees  still held strong on the castle grounds,.
However, the king found Hulen inside, still badly wounded and recovering slowly.

"How do you fare, my shaman? Was my request accepted? " Arcadius was most anxious to hear the news of this escapade. If there was a sure way of saving the kingdom, it was with the old gods.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2013, 03:55:50 pm »

((What kind of supernatural powers would the demon have? I can't imagine that it could hold its end of the bargain up if it had all the abilities of a mundane housefly...))

You can't be sure, unfortunately, but just being incarnate is a massive power boost for demons.  You originally summoned the demon to do something flashy, so probably something related to that.  While the demon's form may affect its powers, they are unlikely to make them weaker, just different.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2013, 08:21:29 pm »

((Hm...the floor is dirt, right?))
Sig

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2013, 09:13:57 pm »

[Yes.  If you're going to continue using brackets, ask in the OOC thread.]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2013, 09:15:41 pm »

((Oh, right, there's one of those. That should be the last one.))

Time for Grewie to attempt an actual plan:
Take some dirt and attempt to make a vaguely humanoid form with it.
Sig

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2013, 09:48:54 pm »

"We have orders for you, mercenary. You shall scout the Alving forces and find out their numbers and predisposition. Once you gathered that information, you shall return ot my marshall and join forces with royal army for battle with Alvings."
OK.  I accept your charter.  Now to discuss payment and recruiting options.  I ask for permission to recruit any and all volunteers from your population and possibly your current standing  army. Also, how much are you going to pay me?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 25, 2013, 10:23:22 pm »

Steward Gamel, satisfied that the last of the courtiers that would be coming today had come and gone, discreetly slipped out of the throne room to get back to work. He had assignments for his men:

Three of the rangers would travel by river, one to Meridon, one to Brighthall and one to Penters, in order to assess the Kingdom's townships and to prepare reports on what the major industries were in each city. A letter of introduction, penned by the Steward, was sent with each announcing the rangers as servants of the King's Steward and advising the respective Mayors of the cities that any requests or information given to these men would be considered with the utmost care in the Steward's next report to the King.

The fourth man, a grizzled veteran of the forests, would be sent South, to visit Athill and to inquire, discreetly, at the possibility of hiring a metal smith for a large order of weapons and armour. The steel of the Alving ax Gamel had won was fine indeed, but rumour had it that the Ath Cils were even finer in their metal working.

Send forth my messengers!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2013, 06:53:26 am »

It took Hulen a moment to focus on the king. He was sweating, feverish.

'Your... your Highness,' he said, breathing heavily. 'I return from the spirits. They have decided to... to aid us.'

With that, he reached under his bed and with shivering hands brought something long, wrapped in a shroud, out. Smiling weakly, Hulen pulled the shroud aside, revealing the Wildspear in all its glory. The weapon seemed to radiate warmth, whispering into their wilds with low wind and the sounds of the wilderness.

'The Wildspear, my king. Any man who wields it will possess the strength and skill of ten men. Any army under them will fight with terrifying ferocity. Remain wary. It is a great gift, but the spirits cannot be trusted,' he said. 'My servants were lost and I was wounded, as you can see, due to their bestial nature. They demand a hundred men also, to be killed in the forest where the pact was made. Prisoners from the war as well as any outlaws we find should fulfill this purpose. It is barbaric, my liege, but these spirits are not much more than animals. To sate them, it must be done.'

Hulen paused, his eyes slipping closed. After a while, he snapped awake and continued. 'And... thus, if we wield the Spear, our victory is assured. Was there... was there anything else? I am weary, from my wounds.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 26, 2013, 07:08:25 am »

Arcadius' eyes lit up as he saw the artifact in Hulen's hands. It was just the thing he needed.

"I see. You did well, shaman. I wish you speedy recovery. As for the spirits' demand, it shall be done. No one will miss a hundred hillmen."

Arcadius wrapped the spear back and took it with him. He cradled it as if it was the most precious thing in the world, for it was to him at this very moment. This was the key to his victory, and if blood had to be spilled, so it would be done. It was a rite in the old style, where spirits and men lived side by side, before Ogres came. It would be foolish of him to turn his back on the faith of his ancestors that manifested itself in physical form. Arcadius needed no further proof of the power of the old gods.

"We have orders for you, mercenary. You shall scout the Alving forces and find out their numbers and predisposition. Once you gathered that information, you shall return ot my marshall and join forces with royal army for battle with Alvings."
OK.  I accept your charter.  Now to discuss payment and recruiting options.  I ask for permission to recruit any and all volunteers from your population and possibly your current standing  army. Also, how much are you going to pay me?

"I think you will understand if I refuse you to poach soldiers from royal army or my population, unless you accept commission as a full-time standing regiment at a set number of soldiers that you will be able to reinforce to full strength. Your pay, from what was told me, should be about 15 pounds, with potential increase as a reward for good service. You are forbidden from looting when in my service, because you are yet to earn my trust to act as an independent unit. I am yet to see you in action so you must understand my precautions and reservations. Once you prove yourself in the field, access to more recruits and privileges will be given to you. What say you?"

((I would encourage you to observe the protocol and play your role. Brood got into hot water for speaking to the king like to a commoner.))

Steward is to hand over whole of the royal treasury to Marshal for military preparations.

"Lastly, one item of interest that I caught in the accounts. My lord Atsam, care to explain what are the miscellaneous expenses that total £10?"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:26:25 pm by Ardas »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 26, 2013, 01:32:09 pm »

Also, hand over the money to Raeric as ordered.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:56:32 pm by Grek »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 26, 2013, 03:52:12 pm »

Send forth my messengers!

Lord Mayor of Meridon is in the audience with the rest of the court. In fact, he sits next to you. Feel free to talk to him about the city, he should help you.

Penters is a ghost town, devastated by plague and decaying. However, the messenger finds out from the local alderman that the town hosted a market and was a stopping point for river barges that sailed to the capital with merchandise from abroad. The abandoned warehouses along the river bank wait to be repaired and rented out by merchants. Penters lived off the international trade that flowed to it as well as fomr processing timber into barrels, river boats and tools. But now, it exists as a collection of empty buildings and few souls in between them.

Brighthall is a vassal to the Earl of Gol and is half of size of Meridon, both in industry and wealth. Nestled in a forest valley at the Bright Lake, it uses the water to power its mills that process both wood and grain alike. It also does some fishing in the lake and produces charcoal for the country from its rich forests.

[1,6] The last messenger is beaten up and thrown out of Athill, their metal-working secrets seen as too important to be given up to Meridians. The scout however manages to glean enough ot see that Athill is a hub of industry, its many bloomeries and smiths processing the ore from the hills, the men expertly shaping the metal to produce both weapons and tools alike. he manages to see more than that, as Athill seems to be hard at producing what looks like a big order form another clan, spearheads and axes being stocked in big piles.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26