Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: You are a Lord II  (Read 33602 times)

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Lord II
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2013, 06:55:49 pm »

Stepping into the throne room Richard looked around slightly disappointed, this was a far cry from the grand halls of nations he had visited before. But that did offer opportunities for a man with money.

Walking towards the king he placed a friendly smile on his face and bowed briefly then repeated the gesture to the chancellor.

Greeting your highness, chancellor, I've heard much about the young new king and thought I should come and see it for myself, I also come with an offer, as you might know I have something of a reputation for making money. I've rode across half the world and made money in every city I stopped in. I've taken failing businesses and made them huge, I've taken huge businesses and made them fail in favour of others.

In short, I'm a man who knows his money and how to appreciate the luxury and other objects of beauty that it brings, for some small considerations I would be more then happy to devote those same skills to bringing in the business your nation so desperately needs.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:58:12 pm by Brood »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2013, 09:28:56 pm »

"Greetings. I am here to discuss the increase in the dividend paid to your tribe. To begin with, why was the increase requested? I assume there is a reason..."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2013, 08:29:32 am »

"To clarify, I believe that it would now be a good idea to completely replace the roads on the outskirts of the city and begin construction of bridges. This would definetely allow for faster and kess codtly transportation of goods, no?
The construction of a new bridge, and the expansion of an older one are both incorporated in the plans. Aside from the primary road  no new roads are planned the surroundings of the capital. As far as I know, the roads surrounding the capital are in a decent shape, or should be at least.

Commence the execution of the infrastructure project, with the King's permission. Start at the capital, and other sites were we have easy acces to resources and manpower.
((Someone should really find a name for those rivers))

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2013, 10:02:50 am »

Hulen returned to the capital in a wretched mood, all his efforts in the countryside for naught. There was no love in the peasantry for the new king, it seemed. He would have to see if he could do something about that. Now, though, the king awaited. Hulen made his way into the throne room when called, giving the king a pained bow.

'Your Highness,' he said. 'I have returned from Highreach and the realm of the ancestors. They... did not prove most friendly, my king. In fact, I barely escaped with my life. They gave me a message, nevertheless.

Hulen cleared his throat before reciting, from memory;

Quote from: The Ancestors
Once, seven beasts stalked through hill and glade.  Mighty they were, and free, and easily did they bathe within the twilight and the shade.  Then, the weakest and most pitiable of the pack grew jealous and desired more.  He made a pact with an ogress, and lay with her, and she birthed a litter of half-breed pups.  The seventh beast drove his kin away from the lush glades and into the forbidding hills, and he drove the twilight with them.  Now he bathed only in the harsh yellow light the ogress gave.

Often the six tried to reclaim their birthright, but the seventh held them back.  The pack fought themselves to a standstill, and a peace was held for a time.  Three of the six wanted peace.  Two did not.  The sixth held counsel with the twilight instead.

The road forks.  With peace, the twilight is preserved.  With war, it will falter, or crush the yellow light of the ogre.  But lazy as the ogre is, the twilight acts more readily.

The pool shows you two buildings, temples of similar construction to your own; one high in the mountains, the other nestled in a hidden valley.  Steams of silvery fire rise from their spires.

Without the twilight, the six dare not strike, and the twilight still holds two nests even if the third has been corrupted by the yellow light.  Preserve the two, and victory may still come.  If they are lost, so too will the spirit of the six be crushed.  Return the third to the fold, and no force will stop the shadow's return.

'In addition... the ancestors, I believe they... stand with the savages, if such a thing is possible, my liege. They will not give us their blessing or their aid as long as the 'yellow light of the Ogress' holds sway. We should seek immediate ways to appease them. It is not good to go to war against the wills of our fathers.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2013, 10:24:53 am »

Arcadius sat in the oaken throne, clothed in green robes emboidered with golden oaken leaves. He did not like the sound of that.

"Ancestors dislike the light of the ogress... You see Hulen, I am no good with portents or prophecies but I do know that if spirits openly side with your enemy something wrong is happening. I want you to find a way to appease them.
And in full confidence, I'm no friend of the papists" he whispered ot the shaman.

My ancestors worshipped their fathers and spirits of these forests, that is why the sacred oak of my people still remains our sigil. I intend to keep it that way, for forest is our sustenance and our home and these lands need ot be respected. Commune with the spirits of the wild and of the woods, find out if they would be more likely allies, just as they were for our ancestors when Meridia was founded.

Stepping into the throne room Richard looked around slightly disappointed, this was a far cry from the grand halls of nations he had visited before. But that did offer opportunities for a man with money.

Walking towards the king he placed a friendly smile on his face and bowed briefly then repeated the gesture to the chancellor.

Greeting your highness, chancellor, I've heard much about the young new king and thought I should come and see it for myself, I also come with an offer, as you might know I have something of a reputation for making money. I've rode across half the world and made money in every city I stopped in. I've taken failing businesses and made them huge, I've taken huge businesses and made them fail in favour of others.

In short, I'm a man who knows his money and how to appreciate the luxury and other objects of beauty that it brings, for some small considerations I would be more then happy to devote those same skills to bringing in the business your nation so desperately needs.

You are welcome at my court, Richard. Indeed, my country is looking forward ot your wealth being used in incerasing our prosperity. My chancellor will be pleased ot find a good business partner and moreover I would like to infomr you that the Crown has some immediate expenses that need to be covered. Of course, interest will be paid to you straight out of the treasury. While most of court positions are taken up at the mmoment, I shall be happy to receive you in these halls and once you prove yourself, you shall be granted privileges and status.

As the king was speaking a group of Blades filled into the room and coming to a stop 20 feet from the king saluted him in unison as Alexis 2.0 turned to speak.
Once he had finished speaking she began.

My lord, as you are aware I asked permission to ensure the tax increases went smoothly, I would like to report with the aid of the sisters gathered here I met with complete success in convincing the ordinary citizens of the kingdom that the tax increase was both necessary and for the best in keeping them safe.

My sisters infiltrated the population and with a few small reminders of the barbaric acts the hill tribes would commit if they were to attack the citizens quickly came to believe that the coming tax increases we're a good thing and as I'm sure has been reported to you, the citizens did not raise the slightest complaint upon the argument.

Still standing at attention saluting the king the gathered blades then knelt before him as she continued.

My sisters are once again ready to serve if you have need of us.

Yes, I have a very delicate task for you, one that needs to be carried precisly to the letter.
I need you to infiltrate and investigate the personae of the ogre bishops of the main bishoprics of the country, find as much unsavoury details on them as possible. They denied me taxes that would be spent on their defense whileclaiming ancient rights. Clergy are still mortal, and whole realm needs protecting. If they won't listen to reason, they will listen to force. They are to remain unharmed however.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:47:25 am by Ardas »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2013, 10:50:42 am »

Considering for a moment he motioned for for one of his guards who turned and marched back out of the room.

Turning back to the king then he looked thoughtful.

That would depend on the size of the loan lord, I would also like permission for a few business ventures of my own.

First, if you wish to encourage more money from sources outside your kingdom I would suggest some form of sporting events with betting allowed, it would encourage both your own people and those from outside who seek money to participate. I would be more then happy to run it and pay a portion of any profits to you, let's say 50%.

I would also like to contact some old business partners to discover if any of them have need of wood, your country has a great deal of it and if they should need it then I'd be happy to arrange a business deal for you, taking a small portion of the profits for myself of course. Let's say 20%.

I would also like to send out a few prospectors a great deal of your land is not being exploited, if they find anything I will of course pay a percentage of the profits to you, say 40% again.

Finally I would like permission to establish a bank for the people to store money in, the bank would be tax exempt and entirely under my control as the man creating and running it.

I have a great many plans but to begin with this country needs to be shaken up a bit.

Turning then to the chancellor he then smiled.

So, how much of my money is it that you seek in this loan?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:21:18 am by Brood »

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2013, 11:50:43 am »

After spending a respectable amount of time making sure her accommodation was up to scratch, her blade sharp and her clothing neat, Anastasia spent several hours acquainting herself with the royal residence. After her excursion came to a close, she decided that it was about time she put her skills to good use, and thought the best way to do that would be to hunt down Raeric and his men and offer her martial skills in their endevour.

Try to find Raeric. Offer to assist his military training program.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »

The king looked briefly at the man in front of him in silence, sized him up, then looked to his chancellor and gave him a knowing look and gestured with a hand to have him deal with it. He spoke his mind once and he wasn't bothered by numbers and figures.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:51:02 pm by Ardas »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »

The Chancellor whispers one of the guards by the throne an order.

Spoiler: Order (click to show/hide)

He then turns around, once more facing the newcomer "Pray tell, friend, have you had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of our Court Jester?"

Concerning the roads: have the town heralds announce that the Crown is offering a royal pardon to any briigands, formerly residing in Penters and displaced by the plague, who will join the road construction project. Should they have no surviving family, housing will be provided once work in the town's reconstruction begins.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:11:38 pm by Azthor »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2013, 03:01:23 pm »

Shrugging at the chancellor he replied.

Unless he's in this room then how could I, I've just arrived.

Smiling as the guard he had sent out returned with 3 others carrying a large parcel he bowed again to the king.

My lord, in honor of what I hope is to become a profitable relationship for us both I have a gift for you.

Motioning then to his guards they removed the covering to reveal a full set of silver plate armor inlaid with gold with the kingdoms sigil of a green background with a golden oak tree in the middle etched onto the chest plate.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2013, 03:17:11 pm »

Cue the Court Jester.

Carling seemingly appeared from nowhere from behind the throne, the quesiton being what the hell he was doing behind there all day long.

"Pray tell, you are Richard the Rich?
Indeed that is rich, for only the rich would dare to speak so poorly to the king!
You know Rich Richard, i am rich too, in expensive implements which enrichen my day as many a poor soul may tell!"

producing forth his badly tuned lute he played a few notes while doing a jig around the burgher

"Oh it's bad luck to be you
one of many burgher's isn't new,
equipped with just a stick and a head made out of brick
your incredulous smile failed as a charm.

Oh it's bad luck to be you,
In a pickle you'll be stuck,
like a chicken you will cluck,
Oh its bad luck to be you.

Believing that you were the one,
your ego weighing in at a ton,
did i mention that you should't run?
No we'll need a pinebox for your bum!

Oh it's bad luck to be, really bad luck to be,
nobody could disagree, it's a freaking guarantee,
it's bad luck to be you! Diddle-Dee-Doo"

Carling bowed overly deep towards the Burgher before turning back to the King.
"My lordliest of lieges, is he a present for me and pray tell, what would you have from him, that only i could extricate with my craftmanship?"

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2013, 03:34:46 pm »

King laughed gleefuly when he heard his Jester's performance. It was then when the gift was brought forward and revealed to the monarch. He momentarily stopped laughing.

"My deal sir, I am truly baffled by your performance here. At one turn you demand a privilege to run a tax-free bank and on the other you gift me with princely armor? I am at loss here, and I would hate to waste my Jester's talents.

Pray tell, what did you hope to achieve here? And what did you planned, since I am trying ot come up with a convincing reason to not have you imprisoned and your goods seized."

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:48 pm »

Bowing again he spoke.

It was a request and not a demand, many years ago I entered a kingdom similar to this in that it was under developed, I do not mean this an insult but to the best of my knowledge that is an accurate description.
The chancellor had set up businesses and opened the borders wide to trade from all around but had found little success because he had nothing to offer that was unique.

I proposed and was allowed to create just such a bank and as I expected it quickly attracted a great deal of attention from the kingdom itself and those around it as a means of storing money safely until required and in short order wealthy persons from other kingdoms began to arrive attracted by that same bank.

If you wish to attract more people to your kingdom you must offer them something that they can not find closer to home and from the obvious effect that request had on you and I must stress lord that it was but a request, I can only assume that no such bank exists within your kingdom or those around it.

That bank would store the money in exchange for a small percentage going to the bank owner, namely myself. I would of course then pay a percentage of that take to yourself for continued rights to run said bank within your realm, in doing so you gain a small profit from your own people and those visiting from other nations without being seen to tax them in any form.

I had particular success with those peoples of the working class who lacked the money to hire guards and so had little security to protect cash and other items of value, I simply request your permission to create such a bank here both to offer a service to your people, and to gain a small sum of money for both of us.

Together with many other ideas I have in mind I am sure I can make a very profitable contribution to the future of your kingdom, perhaps say by enticing skilled workers to move to your lands to provide services that you presently lack? Or assisting in the export of your good, perhaps I can find goods that you presently do not even know you posses, the only thing I am certain of is that I can make both of us far richer men given time and permission to carry out my business.

He then bowed again and backed away whilst awaiting the kings response.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2013, 04:00:54 pm »

Carling was showing an annoyed scowl. Somehow his future plaything was managing to squirm away.

"My Mightiest of Monarchs, may i ask a humble question? While his venture sounds safe and sound, why do we need him? Cut out the middleman and have all of the money! give him to me and i will extricate whatever other fine secrets he may hide."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2013, 04:41:35 pm »

Reform the military. Turn the levies into levy reserves, increase discipline to Basic, increase equipment to Light.

Train a tenth of the troops apart from the others to begin with. Attempt to make them into non-commissioned officers; make them loyal, and teach them to raise the men's moral and keep them in line.

As specified, only converting Royal Demesne Troops.
NB: Using Anastasia to Train Troops this year means that she cannot lead armies in battle.

Recruitment Cost: Basic * 5 * 300 men + Light * 300 men = £21
Minus Commander Bonus = £11
Future Upkeep for Military: £9/Year

Full Royal Levy -
300 Basic Light Levies (Royal)
300 Militiamen Levies (Vassal)

Current Treasury Reserves: £69
Expected End-of-Year Balance: +£11

[2] You do your best, but peasants are peasants, not warriors.  You are able to train them to the standard you hope for the full army, but only barely.  Perhaps, once these green troops have seen the elephant, you will be able to filter out the officers from the ranks.

Herr Gamel replies to the guards, "I am fleeing from witch! You should run too!" before running as quickly as he can. His long years on the hunt should enable him to slip the guards in the woods when he gets there!

[3 vs 6] "A likely story.  You're coming with - hey, wait!"  The pair of guards give chase, [1 vs 4] but catch up with you before you are able to reach the woods.  They draw their axes rather than ask questions, and you panic as one swings his at you [4 vs 3], grabbing it and wrenching it from his grasp.  You smack the man in the head with the blunt side of the axe and make another run for it, [4+1 vs 6] but his comrade is determined to catch you.  He catches you by the leg with the head of his axe, tripping you to the ground!

The barbarian raises his axe for a killing blow [5 vs 4] but you bring your own axe around into his knee.  He topples to the ground, screaming and clutching his leg, so you leave him be and flee rather than make matters worse.

The following morning, you meet Grewie of all people on the road...

The most senior of the blades turned briefly bowing to the mage as the 2 additional groups appeared from either side and joint the small group with the mage,

Delivered as promised mage, wait for us or return without us when you are done. All 15 head directly for the chiefs hall, if they arrive and Alexis is not spotted they ask the guards for anybody that is wearing the same equipment as them.

Attempt to convince the guards to go to the chief, if it works then head inside and find the treasury, fill my bag with gold and jewels.
If it fails then stay nearby in a concealed position and observe in case they leave.

Blades:  Your blades do not arrive until the morning, too late to assist you here.

You approach the guards and attempt to get them to head to the chief to save him.

[2-2] You are wearing black leather armour and a mask.  The warriors draw their axes and advance upon you, shouting an alarm to any others who might be within hearing distance.  Their numbers make up for your training advantage in combat, so the fight is pretty even.

[4+1 vs 6+1] You draw your blades in a flash, but they're already on top of you.  An axe blade slashes past your arm, leaving a nasty gash.  (2/3hp)  [3+1 vs 6+1] You spin around to strike the one who just cut you, but another axe bites you in the shoulder.  (1/3hp)  You decide to make a retreat, [6+1 vs 5+1] slashing the guard in front of you's throat and leaping through the gap.  [Flight: 2 vs 6] You run for it, trying to get to a safe hiding spot, but the guards corner you against a wall.  [3+1 vs 1+1] You fight like a cornered beast, throwing a knife into the gut of one, stabbing another and tearing his axe from his hands before burying it in the throat of a third.  The remaining two warriors hold back for a moment, giving you another opportunity to flee.  [2 vs 2, 1 vs 5] You make it to the edge of the village before they catch up with you again, and one of them hurls something at you.  [4+1 vs 1+1] The rock misses you, and you surprise them by turning around and catching one in the gut with a blade and the other with your fist.  You piston your arm back and stab the winded one a few times.

Panting for breath and bleeding from two separate wounds, you limp back to the longhall and retrieve your other knife from the guard you threw it at on the way.  [5] You manage to find a concealed spot in the rooftops and hide there overnight, trying your best to bind your wounds with torn scraps of clothing.  [5 vs 2] Patrols scout the town through the night, but from your spot you are able to remain hidden until the morning comes.  When it does, around mid-morning a crowd gathers around the chief's longhall [Stealth: 4 vs 6] as three young women wearing black leather armour are dragged into the town square.  A young man wearing a brooch-clasped cloak emerges from the chief's longhall and denounces them as spies and assassins.  [Torture: 1 vs 3] His allegations are alarmingly specific, going so far as to even name the murderer of his father as being an assassin from Meridian - you suspect the three of them broke under torture.  You watch as the young chief orders nooses placed around their necks and they are dragged kicking and screaming to a tree to be hanged.

[1] You try to catch some sight of your other blades, but you can't see them.  Either they're remaining in hiding or they've fled to avoid capture.  Worse, the Alvings now have proof of your ill-conduct in their confessions.

"To clarify, I believe that it would now be a good idea to completely replace the roads on the outskirts of the city and begin construction of bridges. This would definetely allow for faster and kess codtly transportation of goods, no?
Commence the execution of the infrastructure project, with the King's permission. Start at the capital, and other sites were we have easy acces to resources and manpower.
((Someone should really find a name for those rivers))

As a result of investigations, you do determine that there are some infrastructural improvements to Meridon that could be conducted at a cost of £10.  The works would provide a slight boost to the town's economy, but with the coming road plans there isn't much more improvement called for at this stage.

You order construction of the King's Road to begin, supervising the development yourself.  Construction should take approximately a year, only after which will the results of the development become clear.  [1+1] Unfortunately, during the following months there are several bad storms and replacement costs for materials drive the cost up by a further £5, even with your skills at construction.

[4, 5] Earls Gol and Breen both happily contribute to the cost of the road construction.  In fact, Earl Breen contributes a full £15 rather than the expected £10.  This goes a long way to covering the unexpected costs.

Outstanding Treasury Credit: £30
Treasury Reserves: £49

Concerning the roads: have the town heralds announce that the Crown is offering a royal pardon to any briigands, formerly residing in Penters and displaced by the plague, who will join the road construction project. Should they have no surviving family, housing will be provided once work in the town's reconstruction begins.

[2] Your offer of amnesty is met by suspicion among the few bandits preying in the forests, who largely consider it to be a way to get them in one place for hanging.  Only a handful of 'honest' labourers turn up.

<<Events Withdrawn Until Resolution Reached>>
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:56:16 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26