Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie assorted issues  (Read 945 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie assorted issues
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:10:48 pm »

I keep going back to custom stockpiles and finding the 'settings' have changed ... the first half dozen times I figured it was my imagination.  under customize settings there is no clear "save settings and exit" key ... I use [esc]

brewing will be going fine and suddenly no distillable plants, farming will go fine then no seeds, plenty of trees slated for cutting suddenly no wood ... being in charge stinks ... maybe I'll do better as a hauler

after several fun episodes of dying of thirst and starving and self-immolation via 'stark raving mad' ... I am, so far, not getting past 40+ dwarves. 

I know how to contain the miasma, but eventually the dwarves end up too distracted to haul away corpses.

I recognize I have not yet asked a question ... so here goes.

Is this a common plateau? 

Ellipsis free since August 2013.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie assorted issues
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:17:44 pm »

What's causing all this thirst and starvation? If you have even two or three farm plots of plump helmets, you'll be set for groups of over 200 dwarves. Eating and brewing plants gives you their seeds, cooking them doesn't.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:27:51 pm »

Well I'm not sure ... I had read that a couple small farms will do to start ... and I know I am not set to cook ... I think it stock piling issues ... have tried denying barrels to my plants stock piles next to still

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »

My suggestion is to train up your record keeper right away by going into the Nobles menu, and changing the settings for your record keeper to a higher (or highest preferably) setting. Let a few seasons pass and you'll start to have a a fairly accurate count of what you have in your fortress. Now you can see if you're not brewing because you're out of plants to brew with, or you're not planting because you're out of seeds.

Now I havent played DF in a while, but here are a few other things you can try...

1. Make sure your fields are set to grow crops for every season. You have to select what to grow for winter, summer, spring, and fall, for each field.

2. You sound like you're customizing stockpiles right, unless its changed since last time I played. The stock pile menu was always a little confusing, as it switched from "permitting" things, to "block all", to "Allow" etc etc. For seeds, try placing a customized stockpile with only food - seeds - Plump Helmet selected. It should save automatically.

3. Make sure seeds aren't set to cookable. You'll find this in the stocks menu, under the "Kitchen" tab.

4. Only reason I can think that you're running out of wood is either your trees arent accessible, or your tree cutter is busy with hauling/other tasks and not getting to your trees.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:20:14 pm »

as to the question of "does this happen often" regarding the problems you have now:

yes
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 05:10:01 am »

The 'custom settings' are not actually the settings of an existing stockpile, they're new settings to use for a stockpile you are creating. I have to say I never use them as I rather just designate the main kind (e.g. furniture, food, etc) and then use the settings menu to add additional types as needed.

To see and change the settings of an existing stockpile, use (q)uery - (s)ettings on the stockpile. These settings should not change unless you change them.

As to the food and drinks, it is actually fairly easy to set up farming in df2012, but I know that it took me a couple of forts to get it right initially.

Some tips:
1) only use plump helmets initially. They are the easiest and most versatile plant, they grow all seasons and can be eaten raw, cooked (but you don't want that), and distilled, and don't need any complex processing
2) you don't really need a kitchen for a while. A 4x4 plump helmet plot and a still should be able to get you going for a long time. Once you have the production going you can add a kitchen to get more variety in there.
3) stills need barrels or large pots. I much prefer pots since I always have too much stone and too little wood, but it doesn't really matter. I like making an empty pot stockpile near my kitchen/still to save hauling and to have a visual on how many empties there are left. (furniture storage, forbid types, then manually select to large pot from the rightmost list)
4) as said before, make sure to turn cooking off for plump helmets as that will destroy the seeds. But if you don't have a kitchen it's not really a risk :-)
5) talking about seeds, it is best to have a seed stockpile near your farm that doesn't use bins (food stockpile, block everything, then allow seeds). Make sure to disallow seeds on your main food stockpile. In fact, I usually create 5 stockpiles in my food rooms: seeds, drinks, prepared meals, other food, and empty barrels/pots. This helps keeping track of everything even without a bookkeeper.

If you have a task that needs done but doesn't get done, such as farming, brewing, or woodcutting, go into therapist and see what your farmer etc is doing. If it takes too long, disable hauling on them. If they go to 'no job' while you have a job queued up something is wrong .Check your announcement logs for cancellation messages and make sure that the dwarf can get to the target.

Finally, a really easy way to get more food is to bring chickens or other poultry. Just bring 5 females and a male, and make nest boxes in your crafts workshop, install the nest boxes in a room, and pasture the chickens in the room. That will quickly give you more eggs than you ever need without requiring any maintenance (long term, you need to have a breeding program to replace aging poultry, but the first couple years you'll be fine.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:19:06 am »

These are all very good tips and some I knew about at least in theory ... last night I kept getting error on food container for still even after I made 12 barrels ... so I canceled the job and reset it ... still won't use the new barrels or the stone jugs ... I've had 'no distillable plants' message when they were sitting right next to the still in a stockpile with no barrels allowed.

are there pathing issues where the dwarves won't walk across an occupied stockpile square?  and are they trying to take from the upper right corner of the stockpile?

I finally managed to assign a profession to existing dwarf and place hive so I get get mead production

I reported earlier that "I know I am not set to cook" in terms of using up plants ... but I was looking at the menu again last night and red vs blue is a pretty poor indicator ... my final guess is that red indicates cooked for food and brewed and blue equals raw (but eaten) and simply do not brew ... I think I was using red as stop at first
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:42:21 am by WhimsyWink »

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:52:24 pm »

Blue text means that it will be used for cooking /brewing.
So you'd want all your seeds and brewable plants set red for cook. Then you won't lose any seeds.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:01:42 pm by Extreme Boyheat »

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 01:52:53 am »

Blue=on red=off as was said.

Be sure the brew is on.  If plants are in barrels, then they will be used for brewing-however, if you have eggs or other things you can sometimes fill them as fast as you produce them depending on a few things.  When I embark I bring some plump helmets for brewing and such, a stable-and then around 100 different types of 2 dwarfbuck meat and stuff.  Gives me a ton of extra barrels that get emptied for alternative use as I begin stocking up my own production.  Does create a hauling glut when I first make my food stockpile though.

As far as food, can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned.  Farmers, farm settings, and such.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:15:09 am »

beekeeping is full of bugs and the benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks, I'd strongly advice against it. If you want more variety for brewing, grow pig tails. You can also use them to make cloth, so it's a good idea to start in time

there is no issue with walking over occupied stockpile squares, they tend to always grab the closest thing. One possibility is that stockpiles and workshops are set to give/accept only from links. This can mess up availability of barrels. Another thing to keep in mind is that if there is a stockpile for somehing, it usually needs to be brought to the stockpile before it is recognised for other jobs. Not having a stockpile for example for rock blocks just leaves them at the workshop and dwarfs would pick them up there.

try using Dwarf Therapist for assigning jobs. It is much, much easier
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:34:17 am »

Bee keeping is not very effective, it takes some time to get honey und there are several process steps involved.
It is kind of buggy, but it works quite well if you have only one dwarf with bee keeping labor enabled. If there were more they would get stuck sometimes.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 06:40:16 am »

If you need booze don't make mead. It takes a long time and in a new fort you usually can't afford to wait so long. Just brew some plump helmets.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:25:31 am »

I may try Dwarf Therapist someday ... but to start I like to try the game as the creator made it (or remade it).

I started a new fortress making sure to leave spaces between work shops and their stockpiles and things seem to be going much better.  my drink supply went to zero at one point, but it could have been that I let them trade it all away (I have too much trouble feeding drinking to worry about trade yet ... except of course if I trade away my food & drink LOL).  The drink came back under control and I started getting nonsense about no booze barrels again.

My thoughts on mead is it makes for variety .... and once you set it up, it just runs ... of course, I have had press honeycomb order sitting in the queue for a while with no product and no error messages ... thanks for the tip on only one beekeeper ... I'll have to make sure a migrant didn't show up with it.

when I create a stockpile I have the option to reserve barrels ... is that ONLY barrels?  what about jugs?  when going back to 'edit' a stockpile the option is for max barrels ... that seems like it would be different

my stockpiles are still twitchy ... I'll check on one and find it has attibutes of a different pile

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 10:32:52 am »

The reserve barrels option is used to have always some free barrels for workshop production, mainly the still. Otherwise free barrels would be used up for storing food or other products.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Using_bins_and_barrels#Reserving_containers_for_other_tasks

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 11:15:07 am »

Thanks, Laurin ... the thrust of my question was more: can RESERVING barrels only be done when stockpile is first created?
Pages: [1] 2