Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Pitting" Corpses  (Read 3378 times)

Tankap

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Pitting" Corpses
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:56:31 pm »

Hello!
Tried searching for this but could only find instructions on pitting caged creatures.

Basically I've started my first evil fort next to a volcano and I've managed to luck out and start above the volcano, I've already pitted the two wagon animals (so much guilt!) and I've had a run in with an undead weasel.
I was just wondering if there's any way for me to dump or pit the body into the volcano?

Thanks in advance! :)

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Pitting" Corpses
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:03:53 pm »

Hello!
Tried searching for this but could only find instructions on pitting caged creatures.

Basically I've started my first evil fort next to a volcano and I've managed to luck out and start above the volcano, I've already pitted the two wagon animals (so much guilt!) and I've had a run in with an undead weasel.
I was just wondering if there's any way for me to dump or pit the body into the volcano?

Thanks in advance! :)

You should be able to dump it.  Designate the edge of the volcano as a garbage dump, and when the dwarves go to dump the bodies there, they'll toss them into the nearby hole instead.

If the weasel keeps coming back to life, that would of course be a problem, but just keep killing it and you'll get it there eventually.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:05:54 pm »

designate a dump zone next to the edge of space.  On the ledge, not over the space.  Set it to garbage zone.  Then mark the corpse item for dumping.  Its different than pitting, and you can do it for any dumpable item.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Tankap

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:09:33 pm »

Ahh I did try this must just me being impatient! :D haha
Thanks a lot! :)

Also turned out I had turned off the collecting refuse from outside order.
So my cautiousness backfired!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:27:46 pm by Tankap »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:07:37 pm »

You could also mark a pit zone above the volcano and dump the live undead weasel.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 05:17:30 pm »

You could also mark a pit zone above the volcano and dump the live undead weasel.

Doesn't kill the undead, though... unless it hits bottom, I suppose (does SMR delete zombies?).  If SMR doesn't work, there's always the magma crabs...

Nonetheless, dumping the dead weasel is a better idea, if you have the military for it.  Less message spam.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 05:52:42 pm »

I throw stuff down a 60zlvl pit into the SMR and it kills stuff rather well. I suppose you would need a lot of air space to gain momentum though, as a 1zlvl drop down 100zlvls of magma would be the same as a 1zlvl drop, which some zombies can survive.
I don't think SMR kills the undead, as normal Dwarves can walk on it when it's not covered in magma.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 05:57:37 pm »

You should be able to dump it.  Designate the edge of the volcano as a garbage dump, and when the dwarves go to dump the bodies there, they'll toss them into the nearby hole instead.
I accidentally a forgotten beast corpse into my magma garbage dump instead of tanner's shop chute. Make sure you deactivate all other zones designated for dumping before attempting this.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:24:01 pm »

I have a setup wich worked pretty well:
I makee a refuse/corpse stockpile, a minecart, and set the minecart to dump everything in the volcano as soon it's not empty.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 06:32:58 pm »

I have a setup wich worked pretty well:
I makee a refuse/corpse stockpile, a minecart, and set the minecart to dump everything in the volcano as soon it's not empty.
I do this as well. Works great, and automatically to boot. No micromanagement once it's set up. Even with only the first seven, they prioritize vehicle hauling pretty well, so you shouldn't ever have more than one or two things on the stockpile at once, and it clears out pretty quickly. Great setup for a reanimating embark.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 07:22:32 pm »

If you want to keep the cages, you could build a "double" minecart shotgun to launch the zombies into the magma. Actually, you might want to launch them into a pit that has magma and repeating steel spikes at the bottom.

* double means that the minecart shoots the cage into a wall, and the cage shoots the zombie over the top of the wall.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:35:46 pm »

If you want to keep the cages, you could build a "double" minecart shotgun to launch the zombies into the magma. Actually, you might want to launch them into a pit that has magma and repeating steel spikes at the bottom.

* double means that the minecart shoots the cage into a wall, and the cage shoots the zombie over the top of the wall.

I picture that as zombie humans in tutus flapping their arms uselessly trying to "fly" as they careen into certain fiery re-death.  Cracks me up laughing every time.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.