Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Male-Only Military?  (Read 1093 times)

Urist McSpardbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Male-Only Military?
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:48:56 pm »

Due to recent tantruming issues that stemmed from Danger Room Baby-Skewers, I am looking to swap my mix-gender military for a purely male one to avoid anymore toddler issues.

However, i'm having trouble actually making sure that only the men get in on the squads. I know I can assign nicknames, but it's only one-by-one, and very tedious to check them all out and assign them all an identifying nickname. Is there any way to mark all of the males with the same nickname at once?

Also, with all the men being stuffed into the militia, what should I use the other 200-ish women for? Just general fort-running while the males are occupied?

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Male-Only Military?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:48:38 pm »

Is there any way to mark all of the males with the same nickname at once?

you can do that via the 'custom profession' dwarf therapist. It's not quite the same, but I like it more, since I can still give a real nickname.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:53:08 pm by Uristoteles »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:15:24 pm »

I used to do male-only militaries, but these days, I just assign new mothers to the maternity leave/day care burrow.  It's only for a year and my child_cap is at 14%, so it's relatively rare.  Out of the 20 or so females in the military, only 2 have had babies.  Even without danger rooms, a year off from military training isn't a big deal.

Urist McSpardbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:23:46 pm »

I haven't gotten the hang of burrows or how to do a daycare. If I could, it'd probably save a ton of hassle with the nicknaming and gender segregation business though.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:58:45 pm »

Dwarf therapist script D.is_male() should suffice.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:41:10 pm »

I say you're better off creating better/more happy thought generators, giving your military some time off to admire them in between danger room sessions, and let the babies be skewered.  Losing relatives and witnessing death are tragedies... tragedy bad thoughts contribute to dwarfs becoming hard.  If you time it carefully so they can recover before you horrify them again, you should get a military that doesn't really care about anything anymore, and is highly resistant to tantrum and misery-based insanity.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Urist McSpardbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:00:12 am »

I'll try the "improved thought generators" idea. In the process of making a very fancy dining hall/statue garden in hopes it will make them able to withstand the sight of Spikey Babies. Also assigned all kids to a burrow with food/booze and nice furniture in it. Should at least limit baby-deaths a bit I hope.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 01:17:57 am »

Personal very nice bedrooms (made nice with expensive furniture they can admire, not just simple size and engraving) for soldiers help.  So do mist generators in areas they're sure to cross.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:51:21 am »

Time off helps a lot in keeping military dwarfs happy during training. Soldiers on active duty don't sit down to eat, they need to go off-duty to enjoy the legendary dining room. If they have a civilian job they can do, even if it's just threshing pig tails or cranking out bone bolts, they can receive the additional happiness of job satisfaction. Nice bedrooms alone (preferably with several bits of nice furniture, see above) are already enough to keep them at 'quite content', extra time off isn't strictly necessary, but helps to build a buffer against non-scheduled sources of stress like hateable vermin, weather troubles or dead (distant) relatives.

On the riskier side, you could prefer married male dwarfs if you actually produce babies at your fort: 'became a parent recently' is a very powerful happy thought. Losing family is one of the strongest unhappy thoughts, however, so family fathers also have a huge Fun potential when the defence falters.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 02:32:26 am »

Is there any way to mark all of the males with the same nickname at once?

you can do that via the 'custom profession' dwarf therapist. It's not quite the same, but I like it more, since I can still give a real nickname.

Also, you can assign dwarves to the squads with Therapist. Very helpful, since it shows genders too.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 05:19:10 am »

Also, you can assign dwarves to the squads with Therapist. Very helpful, since it shows genders too.

:o

I did not know this!
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Urist McSpardbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:33 am »

I did not know this!

Me either. How do we do this?  ???

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:57 am »

Time off helps a lot in keeping military dwarfs happy during training. Soldiers on active duty don't sit down to eat.

Easier to take away their backpacks than to give them time off.

Also, squad assignments via DT? 

TELL ME HOW!
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ond_magiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 10:03:12 am »

I did not know this!

Right click > Assign to squad...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05:54 am »

It has to be the Splinterz version, which is now included in the latest LazyNewbPack.
Pages: [1] 2