Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519021 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4680 on: April 30, 2018, 01:40:34 am »

I had 2 seperate people come out to me today.  Guy and gal.  Or 2 gals.  w.e.

like wtf guys.  You know I'm not gay, right?

I don't understand, how does them coming out to you have anything to do with your sexual orientation? Or did you mean come on to you?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: April 30, 2018, 03:00:19 am »

-snip-

Pretty much just lulz. Also, it's generally only people who have mastered the game in its "normal" state before attempting to play with handicaps like replacing the controls with bongos (or a series of bananas, as was done in a different video).

Basically just an extreme example of "I didn't have any trouble with that boss".

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: April 30, 2018, 08:38:25 am »

Fair enough, and I agree, once you attain the skill necessary to get through a difficult game it becomes a matter of course to defeat it.  I am more specifically targeting the extremely unhelpful nature of posts in that style.  If they were offering advice or legitimate criticism I wouldn't (and in the past have not) take issue, it's the "Oh it wasn't hard, stop whining" type of post that I have problems with.

I personally just power through until it either becomes clear that I am wasting my time or I am successful (I also pay attention to advice offered to me, even when it isn't specifically helpful due to differences in playstyle).  I then try to offer advice to people who are struggling with the same thing.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: April 30, 2018, 08:58:12 am »

Hell, most of those posts aren't even "it wasn't that bad, stop complaining" (which is unhelpful enough as it is), but more of a "hey imma let you finish but I'm so good at this game that the boss you spent so much time and energy beating was barely a challenge for me", which is completely unhelpful and being a braggart.

And yeah, it's a peeve of mine as well. Although not as much as someone who brags and talks shit throughout a multiplayer game and... Is actually competent.

Doesn't even matter whose team they're on, those people are trash. The shit-talkers who trip over their own shoelaces are a kind of entertainment all their own, but the ones who are skilled to the point where you can't touch them? Fuuuck.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:13 am »

I think they called it... 'git gud'  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: April 30, 2018, 09:56:10 am »

"Git gud" is stupid because it ignores disparity in learning and capacity.  The core message of git gud is that you are deficient and you should just shut up, and that is a useless, destructive approach.  There is no reason not to be constructive and offer some advice or criticism, not doing so is just being an arrogant asshole.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: April 30, 2018, 10:08:31 am »

"Git gud" is stupid because it ignores disparity in learning and capacity.  The core message of git gud is that you are deficient and you should just shut up, and that is a useless, destructive approach.  There is no reason not to be constructive and offer some advice or criticism, not doing so is just being an arrogant asshole.
I agree. Besides the "fuck you, n00b" vibe of saying "git gud" to someone, gud is not a valid git command.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: April 30, 2018, 11:46:14 am »

Yeah, it's "apt-get install gud"
And once you're in Python, "import gud"
(I hope that's actually a package)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: April 30, 2018, 03:19:52 pm »

I agree. Besides the "fuck you, n00b" vibe of saying "git gud" to someone, gud is not a valid git command.

Listen fellahs, you just need to g i t g u d
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: May 01, 2018, 01:52:45 am »

Code: [Select]
Milo@Milo-PC:~$ git gud
git: 'gud' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
        gui
Milo@Milo-PC:~$ git help gud
No manual entry for gitgud
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: May 02, 2018, 12:08:49 am »

I think you're misinterpreting the joke. The "git gud" meme started in the context of certain games that required players to die or lose over and over again to overcome obstacles (Dark Souls, Hotline Miami, etc) and at least in that context what made it funny was that it was simultaneously really obviously bad advice (the intentional brevity and misspellings underscore this) but also good advice for those particular games (where the frustration of dying over and over until figuring it out is a big part of the draw). For a third party observer that knows that suffering is good and that the game is supposed to be unfairly difficult, this contradiction makes sense and creates the humor.

Outside of the context of those games, the joke wouldn't have originally been funny (you can imagine how completely flat it would be in other circumstances where people ask for advice, nobody would've even thought to create the "joke"), and it only remains "funny" when outside of that context if used in an ironic or referential sense alluding to those games.

Now that it's a meme of course it's totally stale whether you found it funny originally or not, but attributing this sort of malice to it or critiquing it on the basis of being bad advice is really misinterpreting it, since that's half the point.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: May 02, 2018, 12:11:45 am »

And, to be honest, sometimes the only advice really is 'get better at the game'. Like if you keep losing in Mario Kart because you keep bumping into obstacles, turn too sharply into corners, etc. or whatever... then yeah, gitting gud is about the only thing you can do.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: May 02, 2018, 01:44:21 am »

*Been playing Skyrim again*

Mine for the day:

Unrealistic wildlife. Specifically, carnivores.

Bears are territorial. They are not going to attack in groups.  They certainly arent going to keep attacking after getting a huge assed fireball in the face.
Carnivores in general are dependent upon game populations. They cannot be thick as damn fleas; they will starve to death.  Given that humans in this game can shoot fireballs into their faces, they should be a bit timid around humans. (See also, existing real world populations being timid of humans, because humans have boom-sticks.) But apparently, that just doesn't fly-- the carnivores all act like they have rabies distemper, and lash out at every damn thing they see.

Game developers:  If you are going to make wild animal attacks be part f your game mechanics, GET IT FUCKING RIGHT, OK?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:56:00 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: May 02, 2018, 03:30:55 am »

And then you have the less well-designed RPGs, where the wolves and the bears end up attacking you alongside the group of bandits that was standing around on the road.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: May 02, 2018, 10:16:05 am »

The deer's danger sense pissed me off more. They evolved a special cheat-sense to let them know when they were in player crosshairs. Every time I tried to snipe one it would jump when I aimed at it, regardless of distance and "awareness" of me. The game was too gamey for me.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 324