Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519023 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4635 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55:36 am »

Oh good.  Of all the characters.
He *is* a bundle of fun, to be fair :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: April 13, 2018, 01:13:31 am »

im a terrible person D:

My first game I executed Sis. Don't feel bad.

And you think I didn't?
bloody revolver girl killed me way too many times, no way was I letting her crawl away to fight me again. Kill or capture, and the latter was obviously not happening.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: April 13, 2018, 01:20:55 am »

Roblox and its players. Should be a crime.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: April 13, 2018, 01:49:17 am »

As somebody frequently tasked to "Make the computer stop acting dumb!", and often finding the Roblox client to be responsible with its horribly bad uninstall and constant update regimen, I have to agree.  That and WildTangent.

Can't these online game companies do a little more effort towards having a good, clean, and non-damaging client?  No? Then I will continue to claim malware with prejudice.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: April 13, 2018, 01:54:34 am »

WildTangent??  Wow, I did not think it would still be around by now.  That's pretty f'd up.
I'd say Byond is a good client of this sort.  Even has a pretty good variety of content in Space Station 13 - and in various other offerings.  But the platform itself isn't a subtly malicious [expletive].  Just occasionally ads, and even those were easily bypassed last I checked.  If you opt not to support the platform for free, heh.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: April 13, 2018, 02:04:31 am »

Oh, it is still a thing, believe me.

Me, I am all "Can't you just play a nice stand-alone title, like a normal person?" and the beligerent kid I am having to fix the computer for--- SOMETIMES 3x A DAY-- is all like "BUT I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED ROBLOX!!"

Not even my kid even. Jesus H Christ.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: April 13, 2018, 02:24:12 am »

My housemate similarly wants XP on his machine which is clearly marked for 7.  His current copy of XP is impressively infested, rewarding my paranoia basic IT skills in hardening my computer before sharing a router.  No open shares, for one thing.

To his credit, he did ask for Linux!  A specific distro even (Mint).  Didn't recognize his wifi card though.  And wouldn't actually meet his user requirements...  I said it would play old games, through Dosbox.  He said that was fine, later clarified that he was looking to play Oblivion and Shovelknight.

Every time he mentions what he was doing in college, I feel old as shit.
You know what?  That's absolutely a gaming pet peeve.  Portal 1 (2007) was a turning point in my life during college.  He talks about playing Pokemon GO in college.

I'm peeved that I feel elitist tendencies based on my age.  I temper that with the fact that he knows *way* more about the *actual* Pokemon games than I do.  I gave him my run of Silver (GB) for like 5 minutes and he got me Eevee and f'in Dratini.  Elitism is cancer, experience is best played close to the chest.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:26:42 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: April 13, 2018, 02:38:04 am »

Mint will totally do Oblivion if his video card has Direct Rendering (DRM) drivers loaded. You just need to install and set up a **RECENT** version of wine.  I suggest using the ubuntu PPA for it. (Mint is based on Ubuntu, so it works ok.) Mint will even play Skyrim that way.

Regarding Wifi and Linux--- Many systems come equipped with Broadcomm based wifi. These bad boys use a proprietary firmware blob that gets loaded into the card, and is baked into the drivers for other operating systems. Because they are proprietary, the linux distros wont allow the firmware blobs into the repository. Instead, you have to use a package called fw-cutter or some such, which downloads the windows driver from the manufacturer, then cuts out the firmware blob, and saves it in a special folder. After that the broadcomm driver will load properly (and load the firmware blob), and the card will work as expected.  Something to look into.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:48:17 am by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: April 13, 2018, 02:58:35 am »

(Sorry for this aside, but it *is* related to playing of games)
I was heavy into Linux in college AKA 2005-on, but haven't used it much sense.  I went into a job that was all Windows, see.  Things moved on.

Yet I first tried to set him up with Ubuntu (specifically Lubuntu, since he insisted the machine was too weak for 7).  And then the latest version of Mint.  I suspect...
Well, no.  I *would* suspect that the issue was his laptop's wireless-toggle.  In this case, not even a switch or button, just... the F2 button.
(I've never owned a laptop where you have to hold a key to use the FN-keys, or else they do various things like adjust volume.  Absolutely disgusting.)

But while in Mint or Ubuntu, the wireless device didn't show up at all, and the wireless toggle didn't help.  The little help I found to download a tar.gz and make - make install, and that source failed to build.  Probably the wrong version.

Probably going to just reinstall XPsp3.  Or maybe 7...  There were hints that XP may have been installed to satisfy a grandparent, the previous owner.
dunno where they found an XP key but okay

Edit4edit (a shame that doubleposts are maligned on this forum, would have notified): Yeah, I think it is a variety of Broadcom.  I cared enough to port one set of drivers, but not the right version.  I don't think I care enough to find the right version, then figure out modern WINE...  People always lied about it being simple, but that was literally like 10 years ago.

I'll see, but I really don't want to be doing tech support for my housemate forever.  So I'm tempted to go Windows (while re-exploring Linux myself).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:05:16 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: April 13, 2018, 03:26:13 am »

The package is b43-fwcutter.

https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/b43-fwcutter

As they say, it is used by the automated firmware installer, firmware-b43-installer package.

The issue happens with broadcom b43xxx based wifi cards, including USB ones. These devices use a software based firmware blob, as I mentioned. This is actually the configuration profile for the card, which tells it what region you are in, what frequencies it is allowed to scan on, etc.  It's a black box proprietary thing, and so there is no FOSS alternative firmware available. You have to rip it out of the windows drivers, which this package does for you automagically. Afterwards, the b43 and b43-legacy drivers will "Magically work!", and without it, they wont do shit.

Getting wifi and a recent WINE installed is pretty easy.

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install winehq-stable

That puts the WINE HQ repository in the list, and being newer packages than in the distro tree, they will supersede.  That way you aren't trying to play a game on a version of WINE from literally 5 years ago. (Like WINE1.6, which for some reason, is STILL the package included in most distro trees. We are up to 2.something now I think.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:35:01 am by wierd »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: April 13, 2018, 07:03:21 am »

I recall at the end of the game I freed that redhead chick and she told me that she was the one who killed that one guy who I was trying to save. At which point I pretty much said "yeah okay but you're hot" and escaped the island with her. Somehow I totally managed to miss the entire area where you're supposed to save the main handler lady, so she presumably died offscreen.

im a terrible person D:

Spoiler tags are your friend :p

But yeah, I left the main handler lady too my first time, but that was ‘cause I was pissed off with her.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: April 13, 2018, 07:58:42 am »

im a terrible person D:

My first game I executed Sis. Don't feel bad.

And you think I didn't?
bloody revolver girl killed me way too many times, no way was I letting her crawl away to fight me again. Kill or capture, and the latter was obviously not happening.
She gave you that much trouble?

What difficulty level were you playing on? I think I picked normal and I’m pretty sure I only died once fighting her out of two times I defeated her.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: April 13, 2018, 08:17:25 am »

I dind get on with chrome hounds on Xbox360 it's a little buggy

Try M.A.V. (Modular Assault Vehicle) it basicaly chromehounds 2
I personally never ran into obvious bugs with Chromehounds although you get so little feedback and guidance in missions that sometimes a genuine fail state could be indistinguishable from a bugged mission... But I did beat the game.

I dunno I was looking at MAV and it looks like it has performance issues, and it's not on Steam so I can't refund it. Have you played it and you're vouching for it?
No i have not played MAn and so will not vouch for it.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: April 13, 2018, 08:57:05 am »

This isn't exactly some kind of deep revelation, and I'm certain that this has been covered in some fashion or another a hundred times in this thread by now, but playing Donkey Kong 64 has really opened my eyes to how much I hate pointless tedium in games.

The game is already infamous for being a collectathon that scatters items in a random fashion that makes you switch between Kongs constantly, so I won't go there.

Instead, I'm going to talk about the minigames in it.  I've already complained about the Donkey Kong minigame in the How Did You Last Die? thread, so I'll just recap here by saying it took me several days to beat it and probably close to 70 tries in total.  That was made so much worse because it took 30 full seconds to retry if you died, because it had to play some amazingly long and unskippable animations.  Even worse, you can't just hit a button to retry like every other minigame in the game.  And you have to beat it twice to beat the game.  I'd have hated it much less if I could immediately retry it.

I thought that was going to be the worst part of the game, but earlier this week I was introduced to Beaver Bother.  I want to seriously hurt whoever designed, play tested and "balanced" the difficulty of it.

The minigame is almost entirely outside of your control.  You can run around and hit a button to "scare" the gnawtys toward the hole, but it appears to be somewhat random whether or not they run that way, or if they do, if they fall in.  You have 60 seconds to get 15 of them in the hole, and I have literally wasted half of that trying to get a single one to go in.  You constantly get a feeling that maybe what you're doing has some impact on what's happening, but you're never quite sure that it does.  I slowly improved over the first 20 tries only to have the next 20 look like I was half asleep and drunk, and I don't think I magically got worse at it like that.

It took me 89 tries to beat this minigame.  Oh, and that's the second time I encountered it in the same level, where I lost count of the number of tries it took me the first time I encountered it.  It was at least as many.

There is absolutely no reason for this minigame to be so hard.  It literally feels like whoever tested it designed it so that it was almost unbeatable so that you'd spend more time playing it to pad out the game.  I can almost forgive it for being optional in that you don't have to get all 200 golden bananas, but the minigame is placed like any other minigame and probably intended to be representative of their difficulty.

This game would seriously be only half as long if it was less tedious.  Almost all of the minigames are like that to a lesser extent, and none are fun to play (except maybe the one where the klaptraps eat the fairies, which is at least funny).  There's also so much backtracking, randomly switching characters for no obvious reason, unlocking a room with one character only to have to switch to a different one to get something inside, tricky platforming that's so much worse for the bad camera and sloppy controls...

I wanted to like this game so badly, but I'm really not sure that I do.

Part of me wonders if older games from this era were just like this and nostalgia has blinded me to the problems in those that I played as a kid, but I'm not convinced that they're this bad.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: April 13, 2018, 01:27:15 pm »

I kind of hate the races too, and actually gave up on racing the bug in Angry Aztec I think it was.  I'll go back and beat it eventually in this play through just to say I did, but I didn't want to destroy my controller trying to beat it at the time.

I watched someone beat it in a video, and apparently you can trip him before you start.  That would have been nice to know, since it seems to make a big difference.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 324