Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519069 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4545 on: November 30, 2017, 06:20:05 pm »

What's wrong with steam workshop?

As far as content, nothing really, but as Darkmere notes it doesn't let you sort mod order at all, and that makes the game very unstable once you're running more than a handful of mods.  That may not be a problem for you, but before I uninstalled Skyrim I had over two-hundred twenty mods running, and it was mostly stable due to careful load order management, if I had been using the workshop, that would have been impossible.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: December 06, 2017, 07:37:12 pm »

It bothers me when characters mysteriously disappear when their role in the plot is over with. I don't mind when they disappear for plot reasons, of course, but when a character just disappears for no reason it makes me twitch a little.

Take Pokémon Sun and Moon (the originals, I haven't played the remakes yet,) for example. I don't mind when [Lillie leaves at the end of the game.] It's sad, but they explain it and make a point of it. But it irritates me when, after you fight [Guzma] in the postgame, he stops existing (unless you're playing Moon, but even then he's just a Battle Tree partner.) He was crucial to the plot, and yet he just disappears with no fanfare or explanation? I don't even care if he just stands in one spot and repeats one line of dialogue, I want to be able to stop by and say hello!

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is another example of this kind of thing. The Sages seem to exist exclusively in cutscenes after you rescue them. You can't drop by Kokiri Village and talk to Saria, you can't talk to Princess Ruto after finishing the Water Temple, you can never even speak to Rauru because he never even appears outside of a cutscene in the first place.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: December 06, 2017, 10:10:07 pm »

I think the reasoning for Ocarina of Time is that Ganondorf would surely go after them if they didn't continue to hide out in what little remained of the Sacred Realm.

Considering the fact that Zelda gets captured in the same cutscene that she reveals herself, I'll buy that explanation.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: December 07, 2017, 02:33:03 pm »

I hate it when an RPG lets you target allies at 0 HP with general healing, but the healing won't actually heal them. It is even worse since some games do let you actually heal people at 0 HP, so you have to find out for every game whether trying to heal fainted people with general healing actually works, or is a waste of time and mana.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: December 08, 2017, 01:44:53 pm »

I hate it when an RPG lets you target allies at 0 HP with general healing, but the healing won't actually heal them. It is even worse since some games do let you actually heal people at 0 HP, so you have to find out for every game whether trying to heal fainted people with general healing actually works, or is a waste of time and mana.
THIS ONE. I've been playing Etrian Odyssey recently, in which you choose all your actions and then wait to see what order things occur in; if you're unlucky enough to have the character you're targeting with healing get killed before the healing occurs, the healer just idiotically (and ineffectually) tries to heal the dead guy instead of targeting somebody else in need.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: December 08, 2017, 02:02:03 pm »

Something that gets me in general is interfaces that have no consistence. Like a game with dozens of menus that will let you close/abort a window/operation, but two or three menus will ignore the ESC key. Any sort of interface inconsistency will usually annoy me a bit more than it should.

Other thing I just discovered, which I didn't care when I was younger, is that lazily/poorly done, repeated animations will get to me. In Shadow of War (or Shadow of Mordor 2), the main character repeatedly unsheathes and sheathes his sword in a weird way. His sheath is on his back (why wouldn't it be..), and he clearly does not raise/lower the arm enough or put it back/get it out, nor does he position it correctly. It makes it seem like he positions the sword in front of the sheath and it fits there..but the animation feels like it doesn't even angle the sword correctly.
Then you look at his back and the graphic shows it can only be sheathed from above, so it's not some mechanical dwarven sheathe that grabs your sword and clings to it from the front.
Considering this happens at every cutscene at least twice, and basically every 5 seconds during gameplay, I just say the sword is a wraith too and it's aallllll gooood
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: December 08, 2017, 03:15:27 pm »

1. Each "big" enough game puts it's save files somewhere on disk C. If you are forced to reinstall windows for any reason, all your save files will be GONE. Why the hell devs want to put those somewhere except game folder is beyound me.  ::)
2. RTS letsplayers never. Turning off. Damn. VOICES!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: April 05, 2018, 10:16:19 pm »

Tokyo 42 is a game that certainly looks good. It's not the most fun to play, however, at least, not compared with games like Heat Signature or Enter The Gungeon. I guess I could probably rant on a few things about it.

Except for the fact that the camera is as deadly as enemy bullets, since people have complained to death about that already so let's skip it.

A thing that does irritate me that doesn't seem to have been done to death is the weapon selection in this game. See, at the very beginning of the game, the very first weapon you receive is a pistol called the "Pistol 42". It's got unlimited ammo and is a pistol. In a game where everyone dies in one hit, this is a very

The bizarre thing is that, despite this, there are actually two other pistols in the game that are objectively worse than the Pistol 42, the Pistol and the Peashooter.

And these two pistols consume pistol ammo.

Now, I did buy these weapons, I will admit, and, while the game's not any worse for the existence of these weapons (the game pauses when you open up your weapon wheel, so you don't have the Watch_Dogs problem of buying every gun and suddenly having to scroll through an armory of handguns just to pick your silenced M1911), it's also not any better.

In fact, why have it at all? Why have those weapons available in the game for players to spend their money on if those two are literally pointless choices?

I get that as a player progresses some weapons will supersede others. I also get that as meta in a multiplayer progresses (or regresses, depending on your thoughts), some weapons will supersede others.

What I don't get is, why include weapons that are literally objectively worse than the weapon you start the game with?

A few games have this, too. Watch_Dogs, for one.

I guess I just want weapons to mean something. Even in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, where the WU S. Pistol is pretty much your mainstay for the whole game, the grade 1 AMD114 and Burkov were at least a representation of the sidearm your enemy used (as well as a stepping stone to the AMD114 pistol carbine and the infinte-suppressor pistols), and not just a throwaway item you could pick up for the sake of "Oh, I got all the weapons now, hu hu hu, if I had a video game for each gun I owned I'd suffer from severe choice paralysis but since some of these guns are great and others are terrible I won't suffer from that here!".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:21:40 pm by AzyWng »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: April 05, 2018, 10:57:17 pm »

Well you get a special pistol that doesn't need bullets because you're the protagonist and it's a nice thing to give to players. But hey logically other guns exist and people would use them because they don't have your magic gun so why not let the player pick them up and use them?
You see it is D E E P E S T L O R E

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: April 05, 2018, 11:05:44 pm »

You can't pick up enemy weapons in Tokyo 42.

In fact, I don't think you can pick up anything from fallen foes.

I get from a lore perspective that, like you said, other guns exist, but from a game design standpoint it just seems like arsenal padding that marketing would brag about.

Choose from three different starting pistols! (Note: One is better than the others, and one is worse than the others. WE just wanted our number to be bigger.)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: April 06, 2018, 11:58:18 am »

Something that gets me in general is interfaces that have no consistence. Like a game with dozens of menus that will let you close/abort a window/operation, but two or three menus will ignore the ESC key. Any sort of interface inconsistency will usually annoy me a bit more than it should.

Normally, I'd expect comments like this is a pet peeves thread. But this is the Dwarf Fortress forum, I thought everyone around here liked all their interfaces to have subtle (and some not so subtle) control differences. :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: April 07, 2018, 07:37:13 pm »

Neverwinter MMORPG has literally dozens of currencies for various different situations.  I preferred the simple grinding of Runescape, as horrible a Skinner box as it was.

The auction house is also terrible, in that:  You sell things by entire stack, unless you make separate entries.  So instead of Runescape's interesting economy where mats were prized over finished goods, providing a lucrative incentive for lower-level players...  Everyone seems to just sell things for the default price, usually in stacks of 99.  Useless.

(I haven't played Runescape in about 4 years, due to enjoying repetitive nonsense too much, so the Grand Exchange might also be bad in new and exciting ways)

But seriously - I got a set of artifact blades as a reward for some embarrassingly deep main-campaign progress, but they boost a skill that I didn't buy. Because it sucks.  Fortunately I can go down several menus to a listing with an "Unlock Random" option which, for 4 [icon of a blue, open treasure chest], will unlock a different power.

There's no indication on what this currency is even called, much less how to get it.  Some currencies mention their source in the tooltip, most don't.

Edit:
Some Guy: "What is the new RP sys?"
Huh, there's a system for RP?  Intriguing.
Me: "RP sys?"
Some Guy: "yeah where there is a green thing"
Some Guy: "to upgrade artifact"

* Rolan7 quits this dumb nonsense
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:41:07 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: April 07, 2018, 08:05:45 pm »

The Grand Exchange is, from what I’ve seen, still decent. It has options to change an offer’s price by 5% of the current GE value when buying or selling, which is pretty convenient.

Selling items is also a lot simpler if you just price it down, since anyone buying will automatically take the lowest offers of that type. Your offer will be picked almost immediately every time.
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:04 pm »

Ah, good to know.  I was actually super impressed when the Grand Exchange came around; I played off and on every couple years, and that was when the game got really addicting for me.
Too good, I had to hard stop.

Edit:  I suppose it doesn't seem innovative now, but it did at the time.  An in-game economy which the mechanics actually encouraged, where market value was a thing... As was arbitrage, for the patient.
And incidentally, so much profit for new players, doing busy work - not for meaningless quests, but for other players!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:12:07 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: April 07, 2018, 10:58:44 pm »

So in dead rising 2, why do I have to personally give my daughter medicine every 24 hours or so?  Couldn't I just give it to the woman that I have watching her and have her do it?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 324