Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519106 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4500 on: August 19, 2017, 10:36:24 am »

I think you're looking for more of a "Humanity Pet Peeve" there.

People have a habit of not noticing a damn thing until something goes wrong, and then they suddenly blame anything that can be blamed (and several things that cannot).

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: August 24, 2017, 02:22:06 am »

Developers making something stupid, then coming up with even more stupid explanation.
1.Assasin's creed - everything. Explanation - It's'a simulation of simulation, hurr durr!
2.Legends of Zelda - maybe it's not "stupid", but... freaking DARKNUTS. It's means "cliff lords" in ingame language!
3.It's not just fanservice outfit, it's fanservice outvit of POWAH it's just bad joke.

"Relaunch"(?) of series:
1. First Theif game is named "Thief: bla bla bla" Fourth Thief game is also named "Thief bla bla bla". After 3 properly numerated games. It looks like they want people to forgot that thiefs before this existed.
2.Battlefield, probably. Battlifield 1 is harmless joke name, but if for some idiotic reason they will release another BF2...

Developers run out of time(probably). Never encountered that before Sorcery 4's castle Mampang. How it looks on illustration(from gamebook, but ingame illustrations are the same)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And how it looks in game (not all castle captured, but you get the idea)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everything else is done PERFECTLY. Just no freaking way they intended  it to look like THAT.
Even more annoying, because on each damn step when you approach it game says something like "omnious shadow of Mampang with it tall spires and sharp angles towers above you".

Oh, and fourth. MMO developers listening to noobs and killing the game with up-nerf-up-nerf changes justifyed by that. As if they will not do this without noobs, but still.
Most fresh example - last patch of Crossout. Not much of noob caused idiocy, just...
     Controllable rocket (tier 3 weapon) get nerfed to junk, literally. It fly slower then some cars(LITERALLY) and deals so little damage(if it wasn't destroyed for some reason) that two tier 1 weapons actually can be better. Reason? "It was used too much on low levels, and new players had trouble with shooting rockets". Ha Ha. It was on third place of being overused by pedobears, at best. And adims repeat that "reason" on ANY message about that, like damn bots.
     Land drones, on the other hand, had they damage doubled. I expected something like that from Gaijin, but i didn't expected that they will start to kill "most interesting MMO project" in less than half-year after release.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:26:32 am by MCreeper »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: August 24, 2017, 09:02:38 am »

shhh, MCreeper, the problem is you have faith in MMOs. Don't do that. MMOs are exploitative nothings--even more so than FPSes and MOBAs.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: August 28, 2017, 10:09:48 am »

shhh, MCreeper, the problem is you have faith in MMOs. Don't do that. MMOs are exploitative nothings--even more so than FPSes and MOBAs.
I didn't have faith in them, i just thinked that they will make patches like this after at least half-year, not a bit less then 3 month.

Another two ones.
1. Game know better if you installed it or not.
When you for some reason deleted the game without using uninstaller, installer still thinks it installed, and it WILL NOT install it again, unless you delete every single file on computer related to this game and clean registry. There are no damn reason to do such things.
And it happens not only on old games, when "install" just get changed to "play"(why, dammit?).

2.Game know better if you can play it on high graphic settings.
That's just disgusting. For happily rare example there is empire total war. It just not allow me to set graphics on high, probably because i have not 4 not 2 but 1.8 gb of RAM. Any graphics. Including units. You know HOW they look on low settings? Like figures made from wet grey cartoon, that's how, if your don't set your camera on their heads. And that's when i can set all what i need (most? Don't remember) on max in medieval 2 and have no lag. I have no idea why they did it. Eh. I'll never get to download napoleon.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: August 28, 2017, 11:02:20 am »

The first Prototype limited your resolution options based on your V-RAM. The biggest problem is that it thinks modern cards with lots of ram actually have very little. There is a hack you can use to get around it, but it kinda sucks. Good thing 2 was a better game to the point where there is little reason to play 1 besides nostalgia.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: October 09, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »

wat

That's so silly.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: October 10, 2017, 02:14:00 pm »

I dislike when to get the best ending, you must do something against common sense, like in Cave Story, where have to ignore Professor Booster falling down a pit in order for him to survive.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: October 10, 2017, 04:01:28 pm »

Adding to that, solutions that don't make common sense.

I need to get into a building, which is locked by a keypad that needs a code. I scoured the entire map looking for secrets or some place where the code was written down. Then I spent some time hiding in case an NPC would come along and try to get in.

... Nope. You have to input an incorrect code and try to enter it, then an NPC leans out the front door and inputs the correct code. THAT'S when you spy on them.

... What?

Oh, and even better. Once you get in, the NPC isn't there anymore.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: October 10, 2017, 04:45:42 pm »

I dislike when to get the best ending, you must do something against common sense, like in Cave Story, where have to ignore Professor Booster falling down a pit in order for him to survive.
That one actually does make a strange sort of sense. He dies after talking to you, but there's a broken teleported right next to where he falls. So by ignoring him, you're letting him use his remaining strength fixing the teleported rather than on talking to you and giving you the 0.8.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: October 10, 2017, 05:05:27 pm »

I never even thought of that.  My (after the fact) explanation was full-meta "a character can't die offscreen".
Either way, yeah, I do *not* regret receiving a hint from the friend who recommended the game.

Better yet, the hint came after I'd "beaten" the game the normal way.  I do kinda like false-endings in games.  Castlevania Symphony of the Night, for example.  It's delightfully tragic, yet feels like an ending.  So when you hear there's another way...

Personally, as cool as SoTN's final "area" was, I prefer Cave Story's.  Shorter but oh so atmospheric and backstory-y.
Then there's Undertale that took that to 11, too far imho
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: October 10, 2017, 10:17:08 pm »

The real ending is where you kill everyone and then disable steam cloud saving to escape all consequences. :3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: October 10, 2017, 10:32:31 pm »

-ignore-
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:47:49 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: October 11, 2017, 01:39:09 pm »

That one actually does make a strange sort of sense. He dies after talking to you, but there's a broken teleported right next to where he falls. So by ignoring him, you're letting him use his remaining strength fixing the teleported rather than on talking to you and giving you the 0.8.
I know it makes sense when you think about it, but what are the chances that people not spoiling it to themselves would guess that letting him fall in a pit leads to a GOOD ending? Before going into the pit, you certainly don't know there's a teleporter he can fix with the parts from the 0.8.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: October 11, 2017, 02:01:22 pm »

I mean, you certainly wouldn't think that on your first go. Maybe it's biased memory, but I certainly thought before looking it up that something different might happen there if you didn't talk to him, I just needed a spoiler to know that you can jump across the gap.

-ignore-
Heh. See, I thought that comment made no sense. :P

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: October 12, 2017, 04:38:55 pm »

Damage Over Time Gimmick Characters

Your defining character trait is that you kill everything twice as slow.  And such characters always end up underpowered.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 324