Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519220 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4215 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:00 pm »

I distinctly remember the pistol in Bioshock becoming super weak as you got to Arcadia. Meanwhile, Leadheads would continue to drop you in 4-5 shots.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: April 04, 2017, 01:55:01 pm »

Still better than lying around waiting for your dumb AI teammates/friends to revive you. You may not accomplish much, but trying to headshot zombies with a terrible pistol is better than just waiting.

Actually killing a zombie with a headshot? You are giving the games I am referring to a LOT more credit.
I never said the headshot killed the zombie. Call of Duty's Zombie mode has exactly what you described, and I'd take it over going down with out anything. You get the feeling of doing something, instead of just waiting around, even if what you're doing is not very helpful.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: April 04, 2017, 03:39:19 pm »

I appreciate when pistols aren't useless, but it annoys me when the pistol is more accurate at range than the shotgun.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: April 04, 2017, 03:41:14 pm »

I appreciate when pistols aren't useless, but it annoys me when the pistol is more accurate at range than the shotgun.

It annoys me when shotgun pellets disintegrate after about 10 feet or so.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: April 04, 2017, 03:46:31 pm »

Are shotguns even any good in video games these days?

Just wondering.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: April 04, 2017, 03:49:09 pm »

Depends what you mean by "these days", I guess. I don't play many modern shooters, but from the games I've played, shotguns tend to vary anywhere from godlike to useless.
Such is their curse.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: April 04, 2017, 03:52:13 pm »

Just wondering.

Yes.

(The game I'm thinking of is DOOM)

Armor gets about the same treatment for older time periods, just in terms of sheer defensive properties. Chainmail is typically treated your starting armor +1 (If not just plain starting armor) when in reality a good suit of properly made mail will turn most melee blows from weapons not specifically designed to defeat mail.

It's one of those things that I glare at occasionally (particularly pistol shenanigans), but I now lump into the hall of 'I understand why you're doing this, but it still irks me'.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: April 04, 2017, 04:41:36 pm »

Just wondering.

Not as consistently dominating as sniper rifles, that's for sure.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: April 04, 2017, 05:00:56 pm »

Sales that aren't really sales.  It happens way too often on both Steam and Gog(and probably other platforms, these are just the two I use most to purchase games).  You'll get an email about a game you've had your eye on being on sale, and it's only like %10-20 off.  It's not so much a sale as it is a big flashing sign trying to get you to impulse buy because that's how we're wired, but really that game you want originally at $60 is now only $55, which would have been a $35 standard game 10 years ago.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: April 04, 2017, 06:12:28 pm »

Just wondering.

Not as consistently dominating as sniper rifles, that's for sure.

Shotguns are usually good... The issue with Shotguns is more that they are usually treated as melee weapons.

To the point where games where shotguns have a legitimate range are astounding exceptions.

The funny thing is? Some players will actually complain if shotguns have range (Counter Strike for example, people complain that shotguns remain deadly at not blank range)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: April 05, 2017, 07:02:59 am »

I have a peeve related to computerized card games and the like (and it seems to show up in virtually all of them):

When cards are restricted to a particular "team," so that you cannot mix and match freely.

The most irritating example is when this was done in the MTG computer games, where you unlocked specific decks and could make minor changes, but couldn't build an entirely new deck using the cards you had acquired, and this was so irritating only because this isn't how MTG works! It's the complete opposite of how MTG works! MTG is about acquiring cards and building whatever kind of crazy deck you want with them, not using pre-made ones that you can only add or remove a few pre-selected cards from!

Of course, I can't stand it in other games as well. It's in hearthstone (as hero classes), infinity wars (as factions), gwent (as factions again)...

P.S. If you know of any fun computer-card-games that lack this "feature," I'd love to hear about them.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: April 05, 2017, 08:55:11 am »

P.S. If you know of any fun computer-card-games that lack this "feature," I'd love to hear about them.
As far as I can remember, Hex doesn't have anything like that - Heroes have abilities that are unique to themselves, but you could theoretically use any hero with any deck (and decks are created out of any selection of cards that you own.)

Reminds me that I should check in on that again.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: April 05, 2017, 11:34:17 am »

Huh, more evidence that the newer Magic the Gathering games are inferior to (the first one?) Shandalar.  Even in the open-world story campaign you were encouraged to mix and match colors (depending on what you looted/bought in towns).  Might require Hamachi for multiplayer nowadays, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: April 05, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »

Iirc getting ye olde microprose mtg's deck builder to actually show more than one card on a modern computer is hell.

I'll have to check Hex out, thanks.
Edit: Looked at reviews on steam, nevermind, lol. Being pay2win is another peeve of mine.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:28:18 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: April 06, 2017, 02:40:25 am »

Weather Inappropriate Clothing

Ok now I have a level of disbelief I can muster, I am not a stickler for clothing to be accurate just sort of give an idea of being appropriate. As well I don't really expect people to have changes of clothes for all situations...

But goodness are there a LOT of RPGs where the scantly clad women and men won't change their clothes in the freeken arctic! and MOST of the time there is no excuse.

And these are often not games where "Ohh they could only have one model" is an excuse... they usually do have a few changes of clothes in the game... but they just aren't sexy enough for ice.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 324