Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519292 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4110 on: March 27, 2017, 10:50:23 pm »

If you wait long enough they'll probably all rot to death anyways. :P
Though that introduces the problem that the game would be a little boring once all the zombies were gone, unless there was some human politics going on.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: March 27, 2017, 11:04:32 pm »

Agree, but that's kinda my point, if you can abstract that there's tons of zombies because the city is huge (rather than tiny as it looks), you can abstract that there's plenty of material to upgrade like, one fort, or repair a handful of cars. Because you find more materials, even in the same houses that you checked... because one house represents 100 houses in reality, or something?

The worst part is that your stronghold just uses these materials every day for no reason, for maintenance.

Realistically you shouldn't even more zombies than whatever the amount of bedrooms in your town should allow.

I don't like mechanics that say "hey, get bored already and play something else, why you keep playing my game so much?!"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:06:14 pm by Sergius »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: March 27, 2017, 11:08:37 pm »

I have a pet peeve, tho I'm sure a lot of people find awesome.

Instead of describing the type of game, I'll use an example: State of Decay. It's got pretty neat mechanics about building and settling and upgrading and surviving and scavenging, but stuff will simply run out so that you basically have to stop dawdling with all that crafting/management nonsense and just win the damn game.

I find it a shame that I can't just play that thing forever and ignore the main plot. Or at least give me an alternate "endless mode" after I finish the game once or something.

I'm kinda of an opposite opinion, especially for open world survival games.  There's way too many games in that genre that just drop you in the area with some tools and expect you to just make shit up to do on your own, so one that gives you actual goals sounds like something I actually want more of without them falling into the former mass.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:03 pm »

I have a pet peeve, tho I'm sure a lot of people find awesome.

Instead of describing the type of game, I'll use an example: State of Decay. It's got pretty neat mechanics about building and settling and upgrading and surviving and scavenging, but stuff will simply run out so that you basically have to stop dawdling with all that crafting/management nonsense and just win the damn game.

I find it a shame that I can't just play that thing forever and ignore the main plot. Or at least give me an alternate "endless mode" after I finish the game once or something.

I'm kinda of an opposite opinion, especially for open world survival games.  There's way too many games in that genre that just drop you in the area with some tools and expect you to just make shit up to do on your own, so one that gives you actual goals sounds like something I actually want more of without them falling into the former mass.

I hate games where you can build things but that are ENTIRELY pointless

Which luckily, and thank goodness, more and more games are finally catching onto the fact that it is BAD FREEKEN GAME DESIGN (sorry Minecraft Lovers, but you know it is true) and are actually focusing more on how what you build interacts with the world.

Not that cosmetics are bad... so much that when everything is entirely cosmetic.

Ohh Dragon Quest Builders... As flawed as you are, I really hope people learn a lesson from you.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: March 27, 2017, 11:25:08 pm »

BAD FREEKEN GAME DESIGN (sorry Minecraft Lovers, but you know it is true)
Opinions
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: March 27, 2017, 11:47:00 pm »

I think there's a place for sandbox construction games. It's not for me, really; I don't do well when told 'make your own fun', but I'm not going to tell anyone who enjoys building things for the sake of building them that they are wrong.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: March 28, 2017, 12:03:58 am »

To be clear, SoD is not a Minecraft-like crafting/building sandbox game. You can move to a handful of bases, each with some prebuilt structures and 2-3 empty spaces to make a workshop or something, you can't really craft a ton of stuff. You just go around beating respawning zombies, clear big infestations, make friends with some neighbors and/or recruit survivors (both of which are usually randomly generated, and I think you can't really run out). Days only pass in real time, so you sometimes have to leave the game off and come back to it the next day to see some progress (one of the Expansions does away with that and passes days according to completed events). Then you shoot more zombies, run over them with cars, which you then have to repair. And you have to loot houses to be able to keep going, because each real-time day stuff gets used up, and then you can't get any more stuff so you just get bored and start playing something else.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: March 28, 2017, 12:16:21 am »

Opinions

Is it? Are you sure?

To admit given that they COULDN'T make it any different... It would be like bad UI in old games. A product of its time.

I think there's a place for sandbox construction games. It's not for me, really; I don't do well when told 'make your own fun', but I'm not going to tell anyone who enjoys building things for the sake of building them that they are wrong.

You say that... and to an extent it is true... but let me ask you.

How many games where you build something... does it not do anything at all?

They do exist. That isn't Minecraft.

---

But right now Minecraft is kind of the stranglehold on the entire genre. It really rocket started this genre and moved it into its current prominence. Yet its legacy has become a ball of chains keeping it down as well... With games trying to make something with themselves with that set up usually failing to implementing new features in really dinky manners.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:22:16 am by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: March 28, 2017, 12:19:42 am »

Opinions

Is it? Are you sure?

The reason this sort of antagonism against functionality is mostly... Minecraft apologist rhetoric. Instead of admitting to a limitation or flaw it is instead better to spin that flaw into some sort of benefit.

People like a game that you personally do not like. It isn't the hivemind. It isn't some sort of unspoken social defense mechanism passed to us by our caveman ancestors. It isn't tribalism or rhetoric or whatever you learned in sociology that you want to call it.

People who are not you, tend to disagree with you on at least a few things. Those disagreements might include liking Minecraft and thinking it is the best game ever. That is the human condition.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: March 28, 2017, 12:23:58 am »

People like a game that you personally do not like. It isn't the hivemind. It isn't some sort of unspoken social defense mechanism passed to us by our caveman ancestors. It isn't tribalism or rhetoric or whatever you learned in sociology that you want to call it.

People who are not you, tend to disagree with you on at least a few things. Those disagreements might include liking Minecraft and thinking it is the best game ever. That is the human condition.

Here is kind of a thing about liking something.

Liking something doesn't preclude recognizing flaws or limitations. When it DOES, then it is a problem.

I am not saying Minecraft is bad... Yet what a coincidence "This is a flaw" is met with "People just like things you don't!" as in... I must dislike Minecraft. Exactly a "you are with us, or against us" videogame mentality. That isn't Tribalism at all!

Though I edited my old post (while you were typing your response) to tone down my criticisms.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:25:53 am by Neonivek »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: March 28, 2017, 12:24:42 am »

....You appear to dislike Minecraft.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: March 28, 2017, 12:26:23 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---
---

Sequel Power Seep

Ok to an extent a character losing their powers or abilities is often annoying but at least it explains things somewhat (albeit often badly... Megaman X at least lampshades it somewhat in that he is usually considered "Too powerful" so he might depower intentionally).

But then there are the games where a character is just as powerful or MORE powerful... and yet somehow the threat or enemies haven't changed at all.

There are two games which I can think of that are particularly bad about this.

-Blackguards 2 is almost baffling in that the returning characters are somehow WEAKER than they were in the first game... when you first recruited them (I've never seen that before).

-Lightning Returns: She keeps insisting she is more powerful than she has ever been. Yet enemies you used to easily defeat can now give you a lot of trouble! MAYBE justified in that no one dies so even easy monsters might have 500 years of experience on their hands.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:48:50 am by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: March 28, 2017, 12:54:46 am »

I hate games where you can build things but that are ENTIRELY pointless

Which luckily, and thank goodness, more and more games are finally catching onto the fact that it is BAD FREEKEN GAME DESIGN (sorry Minecraft Lovers, but you know it is true) and are actually focusing more on how what you build interacts with the world.

Not that cosmetics are bad... so much that when everything is entirely cosmetic.

That's quite the SPICY HOT TAKE you have there. I'm amazed that you would actually claim to be objectively right about that on the DWARF FORTRESS forums.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: March 28, 2017, 01:06:03 am »

Dang Dwarf Fortress and having functional rooms and later functional houses and bases... You should be ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!

Man and Dwarf Fortress even applies a function and value to cosmetics... daaaamn them soo much!

Ohhh wait Dwarf Fortress isn't Minecraft :P
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:14:22 am by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: March 28, 2017, 01:19:33 am »

No.  You don't get to compare Minecraft to Dwarf Fortress, no I don't give a damn that Notch did, he's an idiot (a rich idiot, but an idiot nonetheless).

While you can make rooms in DF that serve no purpose, generally you don't, unless there is a narrative reason to do so.  And any space you create can be utilized in some fashion, I carve out whole Zs for materials, then turn them into gigantic storehouses for the crap I build, thus useless space becomes useful.

In Minecraft the VAST majority of what you build simply serves no purpose, once you have the materials necessary to survive and tier up to diamond/defeat the stupid bosses, there is nothing to do but build useless structures or start over in a new world.  You can build for a narrative purpose (or to mass produce crap you don't actually use, why have you got a mob grinder again?  The bosses are dead, that shit is no longer useful.), but generally you are just building to have something to do, and the only reason you aren't doing it in creative is so you can say you built it 'legit'.

I play Minecraft, I enjoy Minecraft, but neo's right.  The big empty sandbox is not good design, and until the games using it actually find a way to make what you do matter, it will remain bad design.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 324