Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519318 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4035 on: March 24, 2017, 04:55:10 pm »

You may as well shave off a zero - make the gold awarded 500 and change the price of the bow to 45.

I'm not sure why having naturally large numbers is a thing - maybe to seem like a lot? But for me, it just seems like needless padding.
Or even divide by 50, in... I want to say, most cases?
Not that it bothers me (numbers go up!  yay!) but yeah, it's pretty silly.
You probably don't like Yugioh :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: March 24, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »

You may as well shave off a zero - make the gold awarded 500 and change the price of the bow to 45.

I'm not sure why having naturally large numbers is a thing - maybe to seem like a lot? But for me, it just seems like needless padding.

Coming from MtG, the numbers were one of the things that I absolutely hated about Yugioh. I could not get into it at all as a kid.

Gold, in general, bothers me in games. Just be sheer quantity and lack of weight. Any game where I can have 30,000 gold pieces actively on me makes sincerely wonder about what kind of currency this is.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: March 24, 2017, 05:08:42 pm »

Monty Python voice:  "It's wafer-thin!"
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: March 24, 2017, 05:21:59 pm »

Coming from MtG, the numbers were one of the things that I absolutely hated about Yugioh. I could not get into it at all as a kid.

Well, while rare, there are cards that do utilize the 'ten' position in amounts other than 50 (Example), and if you account for the stuff in the Anime and Manga, there are cards that use the 'one' position.  The game does technically need all of those positions at this point.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: March 24, 2017, 05:22:56 pm »

Yu-gi-oh is too much work for someone of my intellect and attention span, for starters.

Shaving off the two zeros that seem to be on every non-zero attack and defense stat number is just the first reason it wouldn't be a good fit for someone like me.

when a simple knife costs a few hundred gold

That just reminded me, in Fire Emblem 7, the thieves use swords. The attack animations thieves use show a pair of daggers, however. Eliwood's attack animations always show a rapier when swords are used, and Lyn(dis)'s animations always show a sword with a scabbard.

Hooray.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: March 24, 2017, 05:30:13 pm »

Double post because I'm too lazy to edit - please don't drop a meteor on my house, my mother lives there too.

Well, while rare, there are cards that do utilize the 'ten' position in amounts other than 50 (Example), and if you account for the stuff in the Anime and Manga, there are cards that use the 'one' position.  The game does technically need all of those positions at this point.
And exactly how many points will these positions turn up in an actual game, on average?

If the number's small enough to make any combination of offensive finger-revealing hand gestures (between flipping the bird to a double Agincourt reference), then said hand gestures perfectly express my opinion of number inflation.

I'm not sure how I feel about Touhou's scoring system, though. There are so many digits and it measures score, so I'm not sure if my previous complaints actually apply.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: March 24, 2017, 05:38:36 pm »

And exactly how many points will these positions turn up in an actual game, on average?

Barely at all, but things can't change because Konami runs the game on the basis that you can use literally any card they released except for a small pool.  If you are wondering how the hell this could be balanced, simple answer is that it isn't because Konami powercreeps like crazy.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: March 24, 2017, 05:41:36 pm »

There are modern currency systems where they've gotten rid of anything representing 1 unit of currency and the lowest valued bill or coin is a 5 or 10. People have been proposing to get rid of the American 1 cent penny for ages, and I'm pretty sure this is how Eurocents work.

Then there's systems like Yen or the Hungarian Forint, where its 100 or 250 units for items that cost $1 for Americans. Maybe gold pieces in-game are like that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: March 24, 2017, 05:48:07 pm »

Yeah, so Rath just hands over a sack of 5000 of these coins with, mind you, an unspecified amount of weight apiece, over to Lyn, and she accepts it with no comments about its weight either.

And this fairly large amount of gold is able to get you, what, ten weapons at best? (Granted, everyone can carry 5 things max and most of them have one to three inventory slots already filled, but still).

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: March 24, 2017, 06:01:18 pm »

It's one of the reasons I hate playing modern MMOs. The starter weapons might have hundreds of points in a given stat. It just makes it harder to compare the numbers, and I call bullshit that a standard MMORPG with standard mechanics needs four digits of granularity.

It's just a way of disguising the grind. If stats go all the way into the tens of billions or wherever, then they can give you "huge" upgrades without actually giving you a meaningful advancement.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: March 24, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »

Hmm. I wonder how the value of a single gold piece compares to a single grain of rice. Maybe the currency is actually grain, but they just call it gold because it's cooler.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: March 24, 2017, 06:09:28 pm »

The rice was prepared with (a tiny amount of) real saffron.
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: March 24, 2017, 10:43:55 pm »

Ok here are ones that aren't flaws but are pet peeves

Since this is the pet peeve thread and not the justifiable annoyance thread :P

Big Heroes

What do I mean by big heroes? Well mostly it is the scale of the hero units in the game and the amount of micromanagement and focus required of them. They often require you to go out of your way to empower them... why? because they single handedly take down armies.

Warcraft 3's single player campaign did this well. It is only when you jump into multiplayer that it becomes aggravating. Since both the defensive and offensive gameplay revolves entirely around the heroes and they dominate at minimum 50% of your attention.

Yet honestly one of the crowning achievements of Big Heroes dominating the gameplay would have to go to Total War: Warhammer... Where in order to use your heroes effectively you MUST go down very specific routes and paths with them (Not as bad because Total War: Warhammer is a linear grand strategy game) in order to find trinkets and baubles... Better yet these trinkets REQUIRE you to spend skillpoints just for the mission that lets you obtain it.

Gold is really cheap

Goodness has the gold market crashed. Games are getting to the point where gold must be a semi-precious metal with the sheer amount of coins required to buy even the most mundane of objects.

I mean some items have a weird enough price given no one would ever be able to pay it... Which would make sense given they are like historical artifacts. Yet the actual historical artifacts that are weak will still have incredibly low prices.

Funny thing is, I believe in Skyrim they Imply a average week's pay is about... 500 gold coins.

Yeah Elder Scrolls economy is all sorts of messed up... Speaking of!

The Housing Market is run by the devil!

Why oooooh why are houses always so dang expensive in every single game you can buy them? It feels like Fable is the only game where they can be bought for almost reasonable prices.

Yeah they aren't cheap in real life... Yet I don't think I could bring a sack filled with gold and jewels and still find that I haven't even come up to the down payment. The ONLY reason they are so expensive is just because they are meant to be your "Expensive but useless trophy".

Early MMOs at least justified this in that... Houses actually existed in the world and had some level of permanence (Hey remember when MMOs were community based?) and so the price existed as a way to gate the flood.

No Treasure Display

Ok some games have trophies that you can display... But you want to know what I often wanted to do?

Have stacks of gold, chests brimming with treasure, jewels in a display case of every sort... And not have these be individual items but rather display items.

Elder Scrolls SORT of had it... but not well supported...

The Sims 3 and 4... should be ASHAMED for not having this... Given that "Collect-a-thon" was one of the features added to the game... And there isn't even a bar pallet. (Or Frog Terrarium)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:46:36 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: March 24, 2017, 11:36:47 pm »

And yet, if I wanted to drag this back into TES
(The best modern franchise, almost as good at the classics)
The houses are very cheap.
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: March 24, 2017, 11:41:58 pm »

And yet, if I wanted to drag this back into TES
(The best modern franchise, almost as good at the classics)
The houses are very cheap.

Yeah you know 10,000 or 20,000 gold for a house no one wants. That is only 1-2.5 large chests filled to the rim with gold coins is all.

For a house... smaller than my house :P

As well that is about... 20-40 stores drained of all their money. (TES the only series where the biggest obstacle money wise is that you cannot possibly hoist all your stuff onto people fast enough)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:44:47 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 324