Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519334 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4020 on: March 24, 2017, 02:58:27 am »

While I find wikia's occationally useful for information and the like, I have no regrets that I had to install an ad blocker to make use of their websites. I understand they're not really profit making but they're undermining their usefulness with how slow the pages load, sometimes to the point of the browser freezing.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: March 24, 2017, 03:20:39 am »

I despise the type of gameplay that requires a wiki anyway.

Example: I've been messing with Nuclear Throne.

You can upgrade the shitty starter weapon, but only if you

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: March 24, 2017, 03:31:15 am »

I'm of two minds about stuff like that.

One the one hand, I enjoy the idea of a game that has things you aren't going to figure out or even be able to do the first time through. However, often when I play games like that I end up looking things up so I don't make mistakes that'll hinder me later on.

Like the Malachite in Dragon Age: Origins. You use it to craft powerful items and upgrades but you only find out about that when you can craft the relevent items and some malachite is only available early on in the game, before you'd know to save/look for it.

I should be less concerned about this and plow on ahead regardless. Things'll work out since if my success/defeat is determined by a single piece of armour I think I have bigger problems.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: March 24, 2017, 11:08:40 am »

I despise the type of gameplay that requires a wiki anyway.

Example: I've been messing with Nuclear Throne.

You can upgrade the shitty starter weapon, but only if you

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That isn't true.
Also, the screwdriver is a dynamite secondary weapon.

Now, if you want to talk about how getting to the true final boss borderline requires a wiki run, I'm right there with you. No one in their right mind would do what's required to get there on their own.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: March 24, 2017, 11:28:36 am »

I hate how in Nuclear Throne, 90% of the crowns are just bad.  The only ones that actually offer some sort of benefit are Blood and Destiny, and maybe Guns if you are playing as Robot.  The rest are just a way to die faster.

A bare head, is a fair head.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: March 24, 2017, 11:36:15 am »

Crown of Haste is one of my favorites, crown of curses is just straight up great, crown of risk is good IF you can get something like bloodlust stacked into your run, crown of love is good if you've got a golden weapon strat working for you, crown of protection makes for interesting Steroid melee runs.\

I've played too much Nuclear Throne.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: March 24, 2017, 11:37:34 am »

On the topic of wikis,

I hate Wikia. Having a single tab open can nearly slow my computer to a stop. Having multiple Wikia tabs open is a death sentence no matter how powerful your computer is.

But it's so commonly used, so for a large amount of games if I want to know something I have to go into Wikia and pray it won't crash or freeze the browser before I find what I need.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: March 24, 2017, 11:42:10 am »

Wikia is the firefox equivalent of cancer.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: March 24, 2017, 11:49:35 am »

I have no problem with freezing/crashing/slowdown when I browse Wikia, but the interface is like... Web-version of some billboard. Tons of unblockable advertisement, even though I use Adblock Plus on the site, and if you disable AdBlock at all, you'll be drowned in ads, some of which are outright NSFW.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: March 24, 2017, 12:26:03 pm »

I have no problem with freezing/crashing/slowdown when I browse Wikia, but the interface is like... Web-version of some billboard. Tons of unblockable advertisement, even though I use Adblock Plus on the site, and if you disable AdBlock at all, you'll be drowned in ads, some of which are outright NSFW.

No script is pretty effective.  Need to allow the wikia.com and nocookie.net categories so the dropdown and tabs will work, but nothing else needs to be enabled.  Knocks out 11 site sources of javascript, some of which have their own subsites that only show up if they are enabled.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »

No script is pretty effective.  Need to allow the wikia.com and nocookie.net categories so the dropdown and tabs will work, but nothing else needs to be enabled.  Knocks out 11 site sources of javascript, some of which have their own subsites that only show up if they are enabled.

Yeah. I'm running uBlock Origin and uMatrix on chrome, and on wikia's sites I have only enabled scripts for nocookie.net. The dropdowns don't work, since I didn't enable scripts on wikia.com, but I never really used them.

It looks like this and loads instantly:
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: March 24, 2017, 01:19:43 pm »

Wikia for when there not a good wiki.
But even then i'm in the No script and Ghostey brigade.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: March 24, 2017, 04:37:08 pm »

Meaningless Numbers

A lot of video games have gold or score or both.

The irritating thing I notice is that a lot of these scoring systems add a number of zeros to the end of the actual affected values in order to make the numbers seem bigger.

Take Fire Emblem 7: The Blazing Blade. Good game, but the gold system has an extra zero to make the numbers seem bigger. At one point, you receive 5000 gold, which might seem like a whole lot, until you enter a shop to find that an iron bow costs 450 gold and every price is in the triple digits.

You may as well shave off a zero - make the gold awarded 500 and change the price of the bow to 45.

I'm not sure why having naturally large numbers is a thing - maybe to seem like a lot? But for me, it just seems like needless padding.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: March 24, 2017, 04:41:36 pm »

I agree. It kinda makes you wonder about the economy of the world; when a simple knife costs a few hundred gold, how much does a house cost? Is gold just really common?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: March 24, 2017, 04:49:10 pm »

Is gold just really common?

Given how much you typically have by end game in most games, often after only a short period of time...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 324