Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519343 times)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4005 on: March 22, 2017, 11:07:04 am »

I despise multiplayer outside games like SS13. I actively detest games that are multiplayer only, especially, and I cannot emphasize my pure, unadulterated fiery hatred of these, MMO games of all varieties. SS13 is the only multiplayer game I can stomach, everything else drives me into a frothing rage. Not sure why, just does.

Any specific reasons why?

I, for one, don't especially love multiplayer because it involves multiple humans (usually). So what happens when you take, say, four times as many humans into a game (Left 4 Dead comes to mind)?

You get four times as many screwups.

Not that AI is much better, mind.

MMOs are merely psychological exploitation, especially when paired with microtransactions and seasonal DLC bullshit. Case in point: Destiny. It's a shit game that steals from you and then asks you to pay for the privilege of owning the stuff you bought once already. Otherwise, I just don't enjoy the human contact. I like playing games to escape.

This I do agree with and is a disgusting trend that's popped up too often lately in the genre and exactly why I quit playing Elder Scrolls Online.  The Morrowind DLC(and that is exactly what it is, not an expansion pack, not some undefined "chapter"), selling it's player base a class that should have been in the game since release and an area roughly the size of previous DLC's with a tacked on "battleground" pvp feature standard to every other game in the genre.  They do this knowing full well the nostalgia factor in the name(cause let's be honest it will not be anything at all like the actual game Morrowind), and that fanboys will defend it as a "standard in gaming", even while the company itself openly and brazenly refuses to do so.

DCUO is another such game that went this disgusting route, where they advertised as all things available for in-game store credit, then reneged on that by calling new DLC's something else and requiring actual Credit Card or Hardcopy transaction at full expansion price for sub-expansion content.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: March 22, 2017, 02:36:15 pm »

Path of Exile is the only one I've seen to really do f2p in a way that felt good.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: March 23, 2017, 02:16:51 pm »

Not sure if really a pet-peeve, but im disappointed that less and less games are coming to Mac. Not too long ago we had Witcher II, Total War, DoW II (even though I hate it), etc. It just seems like fewer titles come to Mac every year. Mac really isn't that bad a gaming platform.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 23, 2017, 02:41:29 pm »

Are there even any Macs with the hardware to run the games currently being released for Xbone, ps4, and PC?

(As far as I've heard you can't upgrade Macs* and Apple hasn't released any with newer graphics cards or whatever.)

* anymore

P.S. "Total War?"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 23, 2017, 02:47:31 pm »

Any Total War game from Medieval II to Attila can be run on a Mac. Warhammer hasn't been ported over though.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:21 pm »

W:TW uses Denuvo, which is Windows-only afaik. Actually, so do a lot of recent games.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 23, 2017, 03:06:54 pm »

Not trying to argue why it's happening, just saying I wish it wasn't so.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 23, 2017, 06:33:37 pm »

Wikia sites

Any game that has reason to have a wiki, usually has two.

One will be an informative, well-maintained wiki hosted by die-hard fans. It contains every fact about every game in the series, including spinoffs and non-game media. In-depth stats and strategy, obscure glitches, version differences, modding information, lore entries, dialogue transcriptions, pre-release info and previews, beta versions and cut content, no stone goes unturned. This wiki contains anything you will ever want to know.

The other will be a *.wikia.com website. Once it chugs through loading all the Javascript, cookie-laying and video ads, it will have entries for the most popular and/or recent game in the series and nothing else. It won't even comprehensively cover that, leaving entire pages blank and devoid of even a screenshot. What articles are there will be copypasta'd wholesale from the official website or the older, better wiki. There is no consistent format, with technical game information going right in the middle of lore and vice-versa. Expect to see broken HTML and incorrect formatting. Well, expect not to see it, because Wikia is plastered with so much advertising and clickbait that even default adblock lists don't catch them all.

As a final insult, the Wikia-hosted website will be first in any Google results, because Wikia is some sort of weird media empire despite being completely shit and garbage.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 23, 2017, 06:36:22 pm »

Not to mention even if the Wikia site was helpful... Navigating it is nearly impossible and often requires you to know EXACTLY what you need to know by name... which if you have that, you typically don't need the site.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 23, 2017, 06:41:32 pm »

Javascript, cookie-laying and video ads
Just get an ad blocker and you've got 2/3 of the problem solved.

Besides, they .wikia sites don't always suck. Granted, the only two I can think of are the Fire Emblem and Warframe wikis, but still, #NotAllWikias.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 23, 2017, 06:52:25 pm »

Over X-box(360/one) Wikia sites take a LONG time to load and WILL eventually crash the built in browser, Contrast Gamepedia and Wikidot which take a bit less to load and will almost always be there.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 23, 2017, 07:30:02 pm »

W:TW uses Denuvo, which is Windows-only afaik. Actually, so do a lot of recent games.

??? Can't be.  Was ported to Linux almost immediately.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 24, 2017, 01:51:13 am »

I would add that wikias have kinda ruined anything-RPG multiplayer games for me. Wanting to play one in an exploratory manner instead of looking at a wikia is just gonna gimp you hard and possibly make you hit a difficulty brick wall, cause your own findings cannot compete with the collective findings of hundreds of nerds. Like GameFaqs were one thing, but those were mostly written by like 2-20 people per game, each writing their own separately at that, so they could still be wrong at the very least, and the information wasn't as easily-accessible. Now it's almost like you're expected to play with a wikia, which just takes out most of the fun for me.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 24, 2017, 02:07:12 am »

When did wikia appear, anyways? I only have vague recollections of them just appearing.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 24, 2017, 02:20:41 am »

Wikis have been around at least as long as Wikipedia, launched 2001. Wikia, a free service for hosting wiki-styled websites, was founded 2004, which is much longer ago than I expected.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 324