Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519391 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3885 on: March 07, 2017, 06:02:40 pm »

PTW
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: March 09, 2017, 05:57:30 am »

Press Start to pause skip the cutscene.

So, apparently some developers are still unaware of the fact that people sometimes have to suddenly pause the game...

If I am watching your cutscene and something comes up, I would love to have the possibility to pause it and come back in a few seconds, but some games don't give you that option.
If you press Start, it just ends the cutscene, which certainly allows you to pause your game once you are playing again, but... I kinda needed to see that scene.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: March 09, 2017, 06:03:58 am »

The first time I realized Human Revolution let you pause cutscenes I nearly shit myself. I had never thought about it before, but I instantly thought why has this never been a thing before!?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: March 09, 2017, 06:10:55 am »

Also, it would be nice if there was a way to know which one will happen; at least a better way then "Just try it as soon as you get a cutscene that looks like it's not too important and hope"...
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: March 09, 2017, 06:11:52 am »

I remember a game on the PS2 (don't remember what it was, sorry) that would allow you to pause cutscenes, and then you could skip them with a different button while on the pause screen. That was the best way to do it; pause if you need to, take an extra step to skip if you didn't want to see it the five millionth time. Every game ought to be like that.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: March 09, 2017, 06:12:02 am »

Buff and Status Effect OVERDRIVE Bosses

Ok I couldn't come up with a good title but this is fairly uncommon anyway. In videogames, typically RPGs, there exist bosses who if you buff yourself "too much" they will whip out their super duper move and immediately kill you.

These bosses might also, upon receiving debuffs or status effects, also whip out their super duper move and immediately kill you. They will never use these moves if you don't use them and they exist purely as a way to limit your options in the fight.

I should state that having counters to buffs and status effects aren't part of the Pet Peeve. Persona would have bosses whip out buff and debuff counters if you really started to rack them up. Heck Mother 2 had enemies who would use different attacks because of some status effects, but they weren't there as a intended counter.

Etrian Odyssey LOOOOOVES this mechanic...

Well, aside from muckdile which you should not be binding at all, and a few superbosses (the ones not close to endgame don't even do anything with binds), I don't believe Etrian Oddysey loves the mechanic as you think it does.

Maybe the honor goes to Shin Megami Tensei.
------------
speaking of etrian, early game customization. Tons of abilities; tons of paths forking. all abilities are shit standalone and need one other to synergize. ofc, you're not informed about any of these. Makes early game customization slow, painful and almost pointless.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: March 09, 2017, 06:14:28 am »

I remember a game on the PS2 (don't remember what it was, sorry) that would allow you to pause cutscenes, and then you could skip them with a different button while on the pause screen. That was the best way to do it; pause if you need to, take an extra step to skip if you didn't want to see it the five millionth time. Every game ought to be like that.

Kingdom Hearts games have that. Except for the first one; I memorized the entire cutscene before the Riku battle just because I saw it more times than I can count.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: March 09, 2017, 06:17:38 am »

Speaking of status effects:

Debuffing enemies is useless

Very often in old RPGs, status effects are basically "screw you, player" type of things, where even if you have the ability to inflict it on enemies, it's mostly pointless on normal enemies because they're easy to kill, and bosses are made to be completely immune to them.
._.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: March 09, 2017, 06:18:44 am »

Funny enough, I wanted to say it was a Kingdom Hearts game, but I was far from certain so I opted for being noncommittal instead. >.>
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: March 09, 2017, 03:17:17 pm »

Etrian Odyssey does love that a bit more then you might think. Yet the buffs required to get the boss to just outright kill you is usually 5 or 11. Which for most classes is just not viable, you would need someone to mass buff.

Unless they removed that mechanic later on.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: March 09, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »

Improbable Armor

Now, granted, I'm a lot more relaxed on this one than I used to be. I only growl slightly now when Fantasy metal armor has the curves built in that would realistically deflect spears and arrows directly into your face. To be clear, I don't mind that any more. It goes into same category as non-clip based weapon reloads, irritating, but something I'm so used to I barely notice.

Now, if the game seriously expects me to believe that the MC is prancing around in a thong and slightly armored push-up bra, I am chagrined. Most recent offender award goes to... This.

I know it should probably infuriate me for objectifying women, but mostly it infuriates me because it's bad immersion and bad storytelling. There's just too much WTF, WHY? for me to get over.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: March 09, 2017, 04:32:36 pm »

I know it should probably infuriate me for objectifying women, but mostly it infuriates me because it's bad immersion and bad storytelling. There's just too much WTF, WHY? for me to get over.

Such as, 'how the hell are they not riddled with arrows' or 'why the hell are the intestines not protected'?

You know, I think I recall eastern developed games tend to be blamed as having armor of that particular variety more than western developed games.  Did anyone ever run statistics on that?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:34:35 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: March 09, 2017, 05:13:17 pm »

Improbable Armor

Now, granted, I'm a lot more relaxed on this one than I used to be. I only growl slightly now when Fantasy metal armor has the curves built in that would realistically deflect spears and arrows directly into your face. To be clear, I don't mind that any more. It goes into same category as non-clip based weapon reloads, irritating, but something I'm so used to I barely notice.

Yeah at least with overly elaborate and heavy armor we can at least let our suspension of disbelief kick in and maybe the armor is magic and the character super strong.

Bikini chainmail types... Are a flat out no, there are always soo many things wrong with armor designed that way. Worse yet even if we could try to come up with the excuse that maybe the character values looking great over being armored it is almost NEVER EVER the case.

It is rare a female character is actually the type who would wear a platemail string bikini in the tundra and be happy about it. It is like the armor you see isn't even canon, and in actuality they are wearing a completely different set of clothes.

Not that all "scantly clad" armors male or female are bad (I particularly like Sephirs from Minstril's song)... But it is about what the armor is communicating to you.

Did anyone ever run statistics on that?

Honestly... given that "armor" in a LOT of Japanese games are almost purely ornamental... in spite having "armor"... I can believe it.

But then again... actual armors aren't as common in Japanese games and that is where the difference comes from.

FF9 how many characters actually wear legit armor? exactly 1 maybe 2. How many characters in Tales games have ever worn armor? Not that many and usually they are niche characters (Heck in Tales of Symphonia they required a special edition to permanently recruit)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:14:55 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: March 13, 2017, 06:50:57 pm »

What? We can't have you be evil!

Now don't get me wrong... I don't want to eat babies and frankly blind insane destruction can be boring.

But GOODNESS is there a trend of games that just flat out do not want you to be evil in anyway even when that is the point of the game.

-Xcom 2? You are terrorists who don't really terrorize.
-Black and White? You can be evil, horribly evil... But you are against someone even more evil than you and are still considered benevolent compared to him.
-Overlord? You are fighting someone CONDITIONALLY more evil than you (unless you kill your own people... which... knee caps you and is only worth a useless achievement and can be genuinely difficult).

It feels like Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius are the only games where you are evil... and you do evil... and this evil actually occurs.

Infamous? Ohh right... you are against an even greater evil and your actions happen in another universe (and are rock stupid)

---

And this is ignoring the games where evil... is just being a psycho maniac. Making it sort of a non-option.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: March 13, 2017, 06:55:31 pm »

And this is ignoring the games where evil... is just being a psycho maniac. Making it sort of a non-option.

Isn't that pretty much standard operating procedure in a bunch of games?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 324