Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519415 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3855 on: February 21, 2017, 12:54:52 pm »

Found it, called Phoenix Point, main dev is Gollop, here's a bit on it from RPS: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/14/phoenix-point-new-xcom-julian-gollop/

It's got some interesting stuff, like procedural monsters which adapt to your tactics, other human factions that you can interact with, and most of all, really cool atmosphere from what can be seen in the little bits of available media. Tho it's a while away, around a year or so.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: February 21, 2017, 05:19:06 pm »

Unnecessarily epic combat music

You go through the countryside, minding you business, when suddenly, loud fanfares open up! You look around in search of an appropriately dangerous opponent and see... a rat. Or a crab. Something that dies in 2-3 shots, posing zero danger to you.

It's not a serious issue, but it's slightly annoying.
._.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: February 21, 2017, 05:47:28 pm »

Worse is when you end combat and the epic music continues due to a glitch. TES IV: Oblivion had both problems...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: February 21, 2017, 05:48:42 pm »

Often in FO:NV the combat music will start, Veronica will go away for a second and then the music will stop, and I never ever figure out what happened.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: February 21, 2017, 05:56:21 pm »

She was just "taking care of business" (;
Damn Institute spies, even on the west coast...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: February 22, 2017, 02:12:55 pm »

Don't know if someone said this already, but...

Repetitive unskippable animations.

I recently started playing Disgaea, and now I will probably hate every turn-based game without an option to disable all the animations for moves and techniques.
It's such a waste of time to be forced to see the coreography for the special attacks EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3861 on: February 23, 2017, 07:06:44 am »

Worse is when you end combat and the epic music continues due to a glitch. TES IV: Oblivion had both problems...
Even worse is when the music starts but you see no enemy so you continue on, walking all the way from whiterun to riften, only to find out a fucking mudcrab has been following you the whole time keeping you 'in combat'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:43 am »

NPC enemies in Dark Souls, Demon Souls, and BloodBorne

So while this doesn't apply as MUCH to Bloodborne (as you have actual... you know... physical ability)... You are an ordinary person being sent through hell and back barely holding on.

Ohh a mirror match... Well this must be perfectly fair!

Ohh... So they have high HP, no-sell most of your attacks, do a lot of damage, and basically have the stats of the heavens... (Some of them more so than others)

---

Actually lets just extend this to ALL NPCs in those games.

I absorb the souls of gods... Why am I the weakest person in these games?

---

It is bad enough that I feel like Dark Souls and Demon Souls kind of doesn't let you feel how powerful you are...

But goodness is this just a huge "Because game mechanics says so" aspect in a game that feels like it is trying to be somewhat immersive.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: February 23, 2017, 10:45:40 am »

So while this doesn't apply as MUCH to Bloodborne (as you have actual... you know... physical ability)... You are an ordinary person being sent through hell and back barely holding on.

Ohh... So they have high HP, no-sell most of your attacks, do a lot of damage, and basically have the stats of the heavens... (Some of them more so than others)

---

---

It is bad enough that I feel like Dark Souls and Demon Souls kind of doesn't let you feel how powerful you are...

But goodness is this just a huge "Because game mechanics says so" aspect in a game that feels like it is trying to be somewhat immersive.

?

This confuses me. The NPC invaders (and the invader invaders) are really the only fair fights in the game. Everyone else, literally everyone else (With the exception of a handful of bosses), is ridiculously underpowered when compared to the player.

I could be wrong, but I think their HP is legit for their build. The only one I'm curious about is the Old Master, but that's mostly because he's the first NPC attacker you face and will wreck your shit if you're not prepared for him to be outclassed.

Personally, I feel like the Souls series (haven't played Bloodborne, sadly) do a pretty decent job of letting you feel like a badass chaos demon killing/kingslaying/walking act of deicide when you get in the groove.

Granted, those games have also taught me that you're never too high level to get eaten by dogs or gang boned by skeletons.  Still, most of the times you die in those situations the thought is either 'I screwed that one up' or 'GOD DAMN THIS #*#&* #(## CAMERA PIECE OF ##(*$*!'

For my personal pet peeve...

HOW THE FUCK HAVE WE NOT MANAGED BETTER CAMERA CONTROLS THAN THIS. JESUS.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: February 23, 2017, 11:11:19 am »

Any sort of automated camera controls for a third-person game will never show you what you need to look at. The best way is to just give the player the ability to look where they need to go. No cinematic angles, no action cams, no automated following (unless the player can toggle it on and off like in Dark Souls), no "We think this is the best angle for you to look at this scene so we're just gonna point you there." Just let me look, and if I didn't see it coming then it's my fault.

It's why I quit playing third person action games (besides 3PS that controls much like FPS). A game with a computer-controlled camera just feels like they won't give me control of a basic function that I need to play the game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: February 23, 2017, 11:30:00 am »

Any sort of automated camera controls for a third-person game will never show you what you need to look at. The best way is to just give the player the ability to look where they need to go. No cinematic angles, no action cams, no automated following (unless the player can toggle it on and off like in Dark Souls), no "We think this is the best angle for you to look at this scene so we're just gonna point you there." Just let me look, and if I didn't see it coming then it's my fault.

It's why I quit playing third person action games (besides 3PS that controls much like FPS). A game with a computer-controlled camera just feels like they won't give me control of a basic function that I need to play the game.

Honestly, this might be the rose tinted lenses talking, I think Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask did camera angling pretty well 92% of the time. Again though, that might just be me not remembering it properly as that game came out... 19 years ago. Holy fuck.

Ahem.

Anyway, I've always wondered how well it would work to have a game like Dark Souls work in first person. The problem is that you need to keep your head on a swivel since many attacks change angles suddenly, and that many enemies are fuckhuge enough that you couldn't seem them telegraph attacks in first person.

The ability to look around naturally is one of the big things I've been looking forwards to with VR.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: February 23, 2017, 01:38:51 pm »

There was a mod (or just console script) for Alien Swarm that put you in first person.  Even though it left you the autoaim, it was still shockingly difficult...  Having peripheral and rear vision is actually super important.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: February 23, 2017, 03:27:58 pm »

---

---

Those NPC invaders are supposed to be people just like you as evidenced by the fact that they look exactly like how you or other people look when invading. The reason why they're so powerful is because they too have absorbed the souls of the gods and built themselves to invade other worlds and smash heads of people who haven't prepped for it like they have.

You're not supposed to be fighting a fair fight, you're supposed to be fighting someone who specializes in invading and wrecking shit of people like you.

Complaining that they're good at it is kind of like complaining that professional assassins are good at killing people.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: February 23, 2017, 03:52:08 pm »

Those NPC invaders are supposed to be people just like you as evidenced by the fact that they look exactly like how you or other people look when invading. The reason why they're so powerful is because they too have absorbed the souls of the gods and built themselves to invade other worlds and smash heads of people who haven't prepped for it like they have.

You're not supposed to be fighting a fair fight, you're supposed to be fighting someone who specializes in invading and wrecking shit of people like you.

Complaining that they're good at it is kind of like complaining that professional assassins are good at killing people.

For SOME of them. Not all of them... at least if you understand the STORY.

Some of them haven't killed any deities and still have maxed out super duper stats and for some reason have the endurance of the heavens.

Not all the NPCs are phantom invaders... and not all phantoms are god slayers storywise. But EVEN THEN! for some reason they are a lot more potent then you are, even though you went through the same trials.

The worst this god is, from what people are telling me, Bloodborne.

---

So in this case... It is like you are fighting a professional assassin... But it turns out they drank Anti-bullet fruit juice.

Then you check what game it is your playing... and it is Diehard...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:58:43 pm by Neonivek »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: February 23, 2017, 03:57:38 pm »

For SOME of them. Not all of them... at least if you understand the STORY.

Some of them haven't killed any deities and still have maxed out super duper stats and for some reason have the endurance of the heavens.

Not all the NPCs are phantom invaders... and not all phantoms are god slayers storywise.

To quote myself

Those NPC invaders

I was very specifically referring to NPC invaders. And while they might not all be god slayers, they are definitely all people who do this with intent and presumably preparation (I'm not fully up on my DS lore but I'm pretty sure you can't invade by accident). As such I expect of them to be at least highly trained and dangerous if not god slayers in their own right.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 324