Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519624 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3495 on: October 11, 2016, 09:17:56 pm »

I liked the one in Thief where you had 2 different lockpicks and you had to alternate between them to open locks. It was just holding the use key but made it a lengthy process which gave guards more time to come across you. PLus once you had unlocked a door part way, if you were close to getting caught, you could go hide and finish it later.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 11, 2016, 09:37:41 pm »

But still, why have locks at all, then?

To gate off equipment/items if you're not running a thief build. If you're putting points into Lockpicking, you're making a conscious decision not to put them in, say, Speech or Energy Weapons or whatever (to use Fallout skills as an example). The items you get are a reward for investing into a non-combat skill.

But the player haven't really done anything, though, other than making that choice on the level screen. Gimping your character a bit for a bonus in loot as a reward just sounds odd. It's a neat little idea, I suppose, but the whole "less power now for more power later" could be done in so many other ways, I think.

I do see the point, now, though. I understand why people like it, it's certainly one way, but... Neh. Dun' loik et. :< Pure PC skillchecks never was my thing, even though they're probably the best system to use, sometimes.

Best lockpicking minigame I ever saw, I can't remember what the game was called. Basically, the lock difficulty was in percentages - for example, 70%. A 70% lock had a lock that had a 70% chance to jam if you failed to pick the lock. Once the lock was jammed, the only way to get it open was to break the lock, which alerted any nearby enemies. If you jammed the lock then you couldn't open it even with the key unless you break into it.

Oh, that's pretty elegant, that is. I quite like the jamming possibility, and a big reason is because I've always wondered how the locks keep working fine when I've shoved fiftysix picks in them and jiggled them around.

Thinking more about locks, I think that they're too often just a locked container in a safe(ish) room. I'd like more trapped locks here and there, for one. Look them over, find the clue, do some fiddling to disarm it and off we go. Gives that lock/trap a bit more to do in life than be a hindrance on a loot trough, and creates the need for some situational awareness.

I liked the one in Thief where you had 2 different lockpicks and you had to alternate between them to open locks. It was just holding the use key but made it a lengthy process which gave guards more time to come across you. PLus once you had unlocked a door part way, if you were close to getting caught, you could go hide and finish it later.

That would work pretty well, too, come to think of it. It'd Doing Somethingtm and it's nicely tied to the threat.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 11, 2016, 09:41:59 pm »

Weird, I don't really mind the locking minigame in Fallout/Skyrim. Especially in Fallout: NV where you need it to get some really good items.

The hacking minigame in Bioshock was super annoying though, mainly because of the timer.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 11, 2016, 09:51:24 pm »

I wish there were an advantaged to having a higher lockpicking skill in Skyrim. The Expert and Master locks just take a few more lockpicks until I find the right spot.

Fallout 3 and NV's minigame bothers me more though, because you can't even try if you don't have the required skill.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: October 12, 2016, 05:44:05 am »

In my experience, having a higher lockpicking skill makes the sweet spots significantly larger.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: October 12, 2016, 07:53:19 am »

If there's a time pressure (ME1 tried to do this, although the minigame was dumb and poorly explained) then I think it's a lot better.  If, for example, failing to open the lock meant it was jammed forever, then the minigame means something.  It's the minigames that do nothing except force you to play the minigame until you win that I have a problem with.  The punishment is more shitty minigame, rather than lost loot, hps, or whatever.

A skill check is fine too, as long as the skill in question has realistic viable reasons not to take it.  If it's like fallout, then you are stupid not to take the skills to let you open doors and hack computers, so those are more of a character level check than something some characters would have access to and not others.  If fallout had enough worthwhile skills and perks such that it was reasonable not to take the hacking or lockpicking skill in some cases, those skill checks would be a lot more meaningful.

I loved the oblivion lockpicking minigame... for the first 10 times or so.  Of course since you had practically infinite lockpicks after very early game, it just became an annoying waste of time.

As I said before, I think the Deus Ex hacking minigame was pretty close to what a minigame should be, but they missed a couple of points.  Just aborting when the security alert timer started getting low should not have worked, you should have gotten an alarm in that case.  Plus, saving should have been restricted to some degree so you couldn't just savescum them, but that's a much bigger issue than minigames in general (although it is very relevant, a fail condition doesn't matter if it just means you reload and spend 30 seconds looking at a loading screen).

The biggest issue with the various minigames like this is the punishment for failure is typically more minigame, rather than any consequence in the main game itself.  Nobody ever got locked out of a computer in fallout, nobody ever ran out of lockpicks and couldn't get that sweet treasure in oblivion. 

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: October 12, 2016, 12:15:16 pm »

There was a mod for FO3 (and probably NV, I don't remember) called Explosive Entry that let you apply your explosives skill and weapons toward breaching locked doors and safes, with the risk that you destroyed the items inside. The [Requires a Key] locks couldn't be blown, so you couldn't bypass quests, and it was pretty safe to just nuke doors open, but I thought the janky alternative to lockpicking was very fitting, and trying to bypass 100-skills would almost guarantee their destruction, so it wasn't a perfect 2-for-1 substitute.

Shame the better all-around explosives weapons are plagued by bugs that the construction kit can't fix.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: October 12, 2016, 03:34:23 pm »

As I said before, I think the Deus Ex hacking minigame was pretty close to what a minigame should be, but they missed a couple of points.  Just aborting when the security alert timer started getting low should not have worked, you should have gotten an alarm in that case.  Plus, saving should have been restricted to some degree so you couldn't just savescum them, but that's a much bigger issue than minigames in general (although it is very relevant, a fail condition doesn't matter if it just means you reload and spend 30 seconds looking at a loading screen).

Unless I'm misremembering, Deus Ex's hacking consisted of a "Hack" button which worked 100% of the time, along with a security timer which counted down to an alarm while you were reading emails* (the time until it went off depended on your computers skill). Of course, you could often find the username and password and avoid the timer.

* if it was a security terminal, you'd finish reprogramming the cameras and turrets before you ran out of time anyways
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: October 12, 2016, 03:49:24 pm »

Are you kidding me? What's next, pay to see numbers on health bars, damage? Because I can conceivably see that happening now.

I bet if I posted on their forums about what a terrible idea this is, the response would be "it's a great game, just sub dood." That's not the point. If you're going to inconvenience free players to such an extent just so subscribing is an attractive option, then keep your game sub-only.

I'm not even sure when they changed this. I'm sure it wasn't always this way - when my sub expired years ago, I remember being annoyed that things like dye-match and hide-helm options were now locked, but I figured that was okay, they're just cosmetic. I don't remember losing hotbars, which I would have noticed - I definitely had abilities there, because my keybinds for those bars are still present in my config settings.

Thought I'd try TOR again just to fill my time but that nope.jpg'ed me right out. ~$2.00 USD for a hotbar? For an interface element? I don't think so.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:55:26 pm by Niveras »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: October 12, 2016, 06:29:42 pm »

Heh. Remember the tomb raider DLC that basically unlocked jumping? Yeahhhhhh....
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: October 12, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »

If there's a time pressure (ME1 tried to do this, although the minigame was dumb and poorly explained) then I think it's a lot better.  If, for example, failing to open the lock meant it was jammed forever, then the minigame means something.  It's the minigames that do nothing except force you to play the minigame until you win that I have a problem with.  The punishment is more shitty minigame, rather than lost loot, hps, or whatever.

A skill check is fine too, as long as the skill in question has realistic viable reasons not to take it.  If it's like fallout, then you are stupid not to take the skills to let you open doors and hack computers, so those are more of a character level check than something some characters would have access to and not others.  If fallout had enough worthwhile skills and perks such that it was reasonable not to take the hacking or lockpicking skill in some cases, those skill checks would be a lot more meaningful.

I loved the oblivion lockpicking minigame... for the first 10 times or so.  Of course since you had practically infinite lockpicks after very early game, it just became an annoying waste of time.

The biggest issue with the various minigames like this is the punishment for failure is typically more minigame, rather than any consequence in the main game itself.  Nobody ever got locked out of a computer in fallout, nobody ever ran out of lockpicks and couldn't get that sweet treasure in oblivion.

ME1's hacking minigame was awful. Both of them were, actually; the one with the circles and the one where you just have to guess the buttons until you get it right. Neither of those things even pretend like they're related to "hacking", they're just crappy games like you'd get on a pre-smartphone cell phone.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: October 12, 2016, 07:18:25 pm »

Heh. Remember the tomb raider DLC that basically unlocked jumping? Yeahhhhhh....

What.

I require proof.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: October 12, 2016, 07:19:34 pm »

Is that something I should remember? I have no tomb raider DLC and jumping works just fine.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: October 12, 2016, 08:01:23 pm »

Ah, I was thinking of Pay $1 to climb rocks. It lets you jump from higher up, I think that's where I got that.

You can also Pay to be able to headshot, apparently. Or Pay for a silencer. Even Pay for target highlighting?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: October 12, 2016, 08:02:13 pm »

and couldn't get that sweet treasure in oblivion.

Sweet treasure? What sweet treasure? That game didn't have sweet treasure.

That brings me into the next point, Level Scaling enemies/loot/everything in Open-World RPGs. Seriously, fuck it. Oblivion was absolute ass because of it, Skyrim was slightly better because it was more restrictive on the ranges of scaling but it's still awful.

Artefacts in Morrowind felt like Artefacts. Artefacts in Oblivions felt like shitty steel swords with maybe a soul trap enchantment or something.

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 324