Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519673 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3450 on: September 13, 2016, 11:05:44 am »

And who lit all those smokeless fires?
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: September 13, 2016, 11:14:54 am »

The Norse burned their dead.
sometimes, but not all the time. there are a number of famous norse burial ships(that's a ship that is buried, I don't remember how large they are usually, though).
one example is the Oseberg burial ship. here's the link to the Wikipedia page(yes, I'm aware that not all Wikipedia articles are accurate, but I know that it at least exists)                                                   
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseberg_Ship
Quote from: Wikipedia
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: September 13, 2016, 11:29:43 am »

And besides, they ain't even Norse. They're Nord.

I like how relatively homely they keep it down in their barrows. Don't know if either the food or the candles are enchanted or if they've got skeleton servants tending to them. Some of the barrows have dining halls, maybe the Draugr holds a nice, big party night every odd century or so.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: September 13, 2016, 12:26:52 pm »

If they're really dead then they wouldn't need all that fresh food they keep in their tombs.  Clearly the training program works wonders, but has the side effect of making them look like a corpse.
Real people put real food in pyramids, so that the pharaoh would have food in the afterlife, or something like that. Actually I think actual norse may have done that(putting food in the tomb).
I don't however know why there would be lots of FRESH food. you'd think the fruit delivery boy would be too scared to deliver fruit.

Is this like Ben Carson's "the pyramids were granaries" nonsense, or is it a real thing that there is evidence for?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: September 13, 2016, 01:01:18 pm »

Its a real thing that the Egyptians did (well, those rich enough to afford it). Although the food was mummified first, to preserve it. They also mummified their pets, but were nice enough to make statues of their servants, instead of mummifying them.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: September 13, 2016, 02:31:30 pm »

If they're really dead then they wouldn't need all that fresh food they keep in their tombs.  Clearly the training program works wonders, but has the side effect of making them look like a corpse.
Real people put real food in pyramids, so that the pharaoh would have food in the afterlife, or something like that. Actually I think actual norse may have done that(putting food in the tomb).
I don't however know why there would be lots of FRESH food. you'd think the fruit delivery boy would be too scared to deliver fruit.
Plot twist: the food remained fresh forever due to pyramid power.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: September 13, 2016, 03:38:00 pm »

OK, I got one.

Fanbases that ruin their respective game for other people.

For the longest time, I didn't play Spec Ops: The Line simply because the enthusiastic fans made it sound like the most obnoxious, 'moral high-ground' take on war ever. After spoiling a certain scene, they would add, 'you could have turned the game off. You didn't have to do that; you had a choice. Just don't play it.' I always assumed this was something the game itself told you. Turns out it isn't, and the game never judges you the player, only Walker the character (unless there's a loading screen tip I missed near the end of the game but with how many times I got rekt I doubt I missed one :P ). For a 5 1/2 hour game, it's surprisingly pretty good.

Another one is the Undertale fanbase. Not the fanart and crossovers and alt-universes and all that (I don't follow any of the latter two, so it doesn't bother me) but the fact whenever someone starts a let's play of it they immediately rush in to tell said LPer how they MUST play the game. Someone I occasionally watch tried to start a blind Undertale LP a while back and quit after the second episode because 'I felt like I already knew the entire game just from the comments section of the first video'. I don't understand this mindset. If you want to watch a true pacifist run or a genocide run or whatever, those videos are already out there and labled; why would you want to spoil someone's blind LP just so you can watch them play the way you think they have to instead of enjoying a new approach to it? It makes no sense to me.

So yeah, stupid fanbases. I'm sure you can find assholes like this in every fandom gaming or otherwise though (...honestly I'm probably one as far as Dark Souls and Resident Evil go...).
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: September 13, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »

Is this like Ben Carson's "the pyramids were granaries" nonsense, or is it a real thing that there is evidence for?
Did Ben Carson learn about world history by playing Civ II?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: September 13, 2016, 04:45:23 pm »

It seems an awful effort to go to for a granary.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: September 13, 2016, 07:12:19 pm »

Fanbases that ruin their respective game for other people.

This isn't limited to games, believe me.

I haven't run across a "fandom" yet that is willing to let someone else just experience their precious baby on their own terms. Hence, avoid fandoms if you can at all.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: September 13, 2016, 07:28:53 pm »

I'm sure you can find assholes like this in every fandom gaming or otherwise though

I know it isn't, but I just had the gaming one specifically on my mind due to the two recent incidents I listed in that post. :P But yeah, aggressive fandoms in general can ruin things.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

blazing glory

« Reply #3461 on: September 29, 2016, 04:33:31 pm »

Third person open-world games where you CAN, NOT, JUMP*.

In any such game there will always be a reason I want or need to jump, even a little hop.

Such as in the latest game I've played, Mad Max...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In front of Max is ledges and way upwards to find loot, but either I am just stupid or something broke because I was never able to get past that thing, and Max has severe atrophy in his legs so he cannot jump at all.

Even if a jump function was put in these games but the developers didn't include any reasons at all to jump, I would be happy, because I'll inevitably find a reason to need it.

*Parking your character in some pre-determined spot to do some fixed-location jump across a ledge doesn't count.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: October 10, 2016, 07:46:09 am »

You know what... It has been a while but I think now is the time this has occurred

Crafting

No I am not saying, when it is misused, or anything like that. I am listing anytime a game has a crafting system now as my pet peeve.

If only because I cannot think of a single game that has ever had a good worthwhile crafting system (Maybe Magic Pengel)... It is always a level of tedium made to give you an IDEA of ownership over what you make but because it deals with presets it just doesn't work that way.

Even Minecraft the crafting is often the worst part of the game at the best of time. Minecraft really might as well be a Resident Evil game with its "get a material, to make a pick, to get a material, to get a pick, to get a material, to get a gate, to get another material, to get a pick, to get the ultimate material, to get a pick" (key to get a key to get a key).

Which you know what would be fine on its own.

Except now crafting systems are starting to become a somewhat standard feature in games... but unlike "RPG-elements" which was a welcome chance of pace... Crafting elements are just as terrible as they ever were. A lot of games are coming out with crafting as a feature.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3463 on: October 10, 2016, 08:21:56 am »

I dunno about that. Warframe's crafting system isn't that bad.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: October 11, 2016, 01:50:48 am »

I dunno about that. Warframe's crafting system isn't that bad.

Is... that... a joke? O_o

I mean that in a serious tone because I honestly can't tell given that the reason Warframe has a crafting system is to stretch out the gameplay and add further grinding to it (as well as to entice you to pay real money to bypass it)
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 324