Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519678 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3420 on: August 31, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »

Lost In Space (1998, the movie that sucks that still didn't suck as much as the TV show, but boy did it suck) had a pretty cool I mean terrible awful how dare them helmet thingy.

The real Jaffa folding helmet was from the Stargate movie (1994), in the TV show they had a really low-budget version that basically split in 3 (when they weren't cutting costs by just doing it offscreen).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:52:13 pm by Sergius »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3421 on: August 31, 2016, 04:58:19 pm »

First instance that I recall seeing the "folding helmet" is Dead Space, so it's at least as old as that. Possibly older.
Spaceballs did it(at least partially) back in 1987, https://youtu.be/jTJq8co38Pk?t=54.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: August 31, 2016, 05:01:49 pm »

First instance that I recall seeing the "folding helmet" is Dead Space, so it's at least as old as that. Possibly older.
Spaceballs did it(at least partially) back in 1987, https://youtu.be/jTJq8co38Pk?t=54.

Spaceballs is great, but I don't think that counts. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3423 on: August 31, 2016, 05:05:32 pm »

Spaceballs is great, but I don't think that counts. :V
Yeah, as I said only partially. It's still a stupid design from the standpoint of acting as armour though, as it introduces unnecessary weaknesses.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: August 31, 2016, 09:20:49 pm »

Oh, Spess Mehreens, while I've got you... Wear your sodding helmets, squad commanders! You're officers, they'll be gunning for your jacket potato noggins first thing they can. Hey, hey you! Yeah, particularly you, with the helpful flag on your backpack!

They just turn 90 degrees and block shots with their massive shoulder armor.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: September 01, 2016, 07:19:18 am »

Full screen games which have a lot of mouse usage ingame while the game has no damn mouse capture.

I use two monitors so screw me right?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: September 07, 2016, 12:02:02 pm »

Dragon Age Origins - I love this game, it's a great game, it has everything I enjoy in RPGs except destructible terrain.   But the pauldrons! 

Pauldrons are not anti-gravity shoulder things that float 4 inches off your body! They shouldn't be as tall as your ears!  This is not how armor works! This is not how gravity works! NONE OF THIS IS HOW ANYTHING WORKS. And they are in practically every cutscene. 

Also, I accidentally started romancing Alistair and now he keeps hitting on me in the middle of dungeons.  It's makes perfect sense with the character, but dude, time and place!
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: September 07, 2016, 12:45:59 pm »

Dragon Age Origins - I love this game, it's a great game, it has everything I enjoy in RPGs except destructible terrain.   But the pauldrons! 

Pauldrons are not anti-gravity shoulder things that float 4 inches off your body! They shouldn't be as tall as your ears!  This is not how armor works! This is not how gravity works! NONE OF THIS IS HOW ANYTHING WORKS. And they are in practically every cutscene. 
Quite relevant.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: September 07, 2016, 01:15:00 pm »

Quite relevant.

LOL

I don't even think they look all that cool, tbh.  I'd rather have armor that looked like real armor - that would be cool. Huge floaty pauldrons? Leliana's medium chest piece that has boobplate and stomach 'muscles' beaten into it?  Overdone and silly. 

Literally everything else about the game so far is great, once I turned off the constant blood spatters. It's just one niggling pet peeve.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: September 07, 2016, 02:31:18 pm »

Yeah, don't really know why, but foldy-helmets just annoys me. Thanks for the posts, though, I didn't think they were that early. Although I could've done without thinking of Lost in Space again. I mean, heavens above...

Pauldrons has a tendency to bloat. They got pretty hilarious in World of Warcraft as it went on. Looks swish on the battlefield, but imagine having to get through a narrow doorway in one of those. I suppose that's what the glowing bits are for, they're break lights. If you lag out, the hazard lights switch on.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: September 07, 2016, 03:04:06 pm »

Yeah, don't really know why, but foldy-helmets just annoys me. Thanks for the posts, though, I didn't think they were that early. Although I could've done without thinking of Lost in Space again. I mean, heavens above...

Pauldrons has a tendency to bloat. They got pretty hilarious in World of Warcraft as it went on. Looks swish on the battlefield, but imagine having to get through a narrow doorway in one of those. I suppose that's what the glowing bits are for, they're break lights. If you lag out, the hazard lights switch on.

Forget going through doorways, turn your head to far you'll put your own eye out!  Or whack someone while trying to swing your weapon.
To summarize:

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: September 07, 2016, 03:11:31 pm »

whack someone while trying to swing your weapon.
isnt that the point of swinging your weapon

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: September 07, 2016, 04:00:08 pm »

whack someone while trying to swing your weapon.
isnt that the point of swinging your weapon

Yes, but not shoulder armor.  If your shoulder armor is an active danger to you or your party, I feel like something has gone fundamentally wrong.
To summarize:

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: September 10, 2016, 01:54:48 pm »

WHY IS MAGIC ALWAYS TERRIBLE NOW
STOP MAKING MAGIC TERRIBLE
#MAKE MAGIC GREAT AGAIN

Basically I've noticed a tendency lately for games to make magic MASSIVELY underpowered or just plain useless. This has many facets but it always ends up with me not playing magic users.

For example: Skyrim! Yes Skyrim has TERRIBLE fucking magic. It commits just about all the cardinal sins of game magic. And then invents some more.
1. You have to drop half your shit to even think about using it.
2. Just about EVERY goddamn spell has a charge up, which is MASSIVELY annoying for the non-AoE fireball spells, often I'll want to use a quick ranged attack right after sorting out some melee and then by the time the spell is ready I'm in melee again.
3. It doesn't scale. AT ALL. That fireball is exactly that powerful for the whole game, meanwhile your foes will get 300x stronger and you'll find new swords that keep up nicely damage wise.
4. It has SHIT ASS UTILITY SPELLS. Seriously, they all suck butt. In Oblivion invisibility just WORKED but here you have to already be undetected and sneaking for it to matter, so no more disappearing acts in the middle of fights. Your armor spells have the same problem as the fireballs, they're just TOO DAMN SLOW for the game's pace. The only thing worth a damn is the healing spell. Oh and illusion is a whole school of jokery, since it'll become 100% useless after the enemies get strong enough, and frankly what type of enemy would you LIKE to use illusion on to go around? The big bad boss who'll kick your ass and rape you (literally with some mods)? Naw you totally want to use it on the grunts who die in two hits. Those are the ones you wanna be creative with. Obviously.

Skyrim is just one of the latest in a growing trend of making magic slow, useless booms that might as well just be replaced with guns since at least those tend to be done fucking WELL.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: September 10, 2016, 02:22:39 pm »

Not that I disagree with how magic works in Skyrim in general, but Illusion/Conjuration/Alteration all work quite well. Illusion you have to pair with Sneak and dedicate your build to before it bears fruit, but its easily the most powerful school of magic even leaving aside how good stealth is. Investing in all the perks, being a vampire and dual casting spells let's you illusionify almost anything[Only the dumbest Falmer or Forsworn enemies are immune] and invisible sneak attacks handle anything that resists them. Double summoning Dremora Lords never really stops being relevant and Paralyze/Ash Shell alone make Alteration ridiculous. Destruction is really the worst school and I've never really used Restoration for anything besides running the Equilibrium Engine.

In any case, MY pet peeve is misrepresenting how threatening things are in combat and out of combat. Utterly dunking on a boss in combat only for them to overwhelm you in a cut-scene and require a whole story arc to beat down is dumb. Really dumb. Its even worse if, when you re-fight the same enemy in earnest, they inexplicably lose the strength they had earlier and become even more of a pushover. The latter is even more terrible if they're recruitable later and the plot-armoured unbeatable badass becomes the underdog of the party because REASONS~!
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 324