Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519694 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3390 on: August 22, 2016, 03:04:02 pm »

It was most certainly not a riff on the nature of all videogames.
Well, yeah, I know that. I was referring to Neo's statement that
Games where your only choice IS to kill and they criticize the player for even bothering to play the game... Is pretty much just criticizing you for playing a violent videogame.
and the fact that you specifically don't have a choice in that particular instance. For the record, I like the message of SO:tL.

-snip-
I like the way that Metal Gear handles pacifist runs too. The Sorrow is probably one of my favorite boss fights in any game. This kind of thing works in Undertale because the choice of doing a pacifist run or not is basically the selling point.

I agree that Spec Ops works as a "ride" rather than a game where you have a choice, and that is specifically because your average "SoldierMan in BrownLand" shooter is a choiceless, straight-line, shoot-everyone game anyway.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: August 22, 2016, 03:08:43 pm »

I presume you didn't like Spec Ops after the WP came into play?
Except that Spec Ops was a riff on a very specific subgenre of videogames, i.e. the brown military shooter genre of yesteryear and while it tackled the concept of "violence is bad" it did so entirely to showcase how ridiculous and kinda messed up said genre was.

Depends if it criticized the player while it was at it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3392 on: August 22, 2016, 03:33:51 pm »

I hate Spec Ops: The Line. I don't think the exhausting, shitty gameplay enhances the message at all. If anything, making the game actually fun would've made the ending come across way stronger. The game has a good plot but I never want to fucking play it ever again.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: August 22, 2016, 04:22:28 pm »

Here is the ONLY time "You are a bad person for playing a violent videogame" message has ever been anything but groan worthy.

It was an episode of Reboot where the characters were stuck inside an Evil Dead game where the User was basically just shooting at things while saying Groovy constantly.

Which then Dot says "He's just shooting at things. What sort of person would entertain themselves by playing this sort of thing?" prompt all the characters there to look right at the screen.

That was funny because of the context that videogames in this universe, and conversely in ours, are real.

That is... the ONLY example I can think of...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: August 22, 2016, 05:09:56 pm »

I presume you didn't like Spec Ops after the WP came into play?
Except that Spec Ops was a riff on a very specific subgenre of videogames, i.e. the brown military shooter genre of yesteryear and while it tackled the concept of "violence is bad" it did so entirely to showcase how ridiculous and kinda messed up said genre was.

Depends if it criticized the player while it was at it.
Depends on how you see criticizing the player really. What the game does is basically take your average brown military FPS tropes and then turns them on their head. Examples in spoilers I guess.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spec Ops: The Line gives you the tools of a CoD game and then slaps you in the face not because it has an important point to make about the importance of choice in games or the use of violence in games as a whole, but specifically to subvert and discredit the brown military shooter subgenre. It berates the CoD player and the genre for just how ridiculous, overblown and lost in its own power fantasy it has become. But just like any subversion, it does not really hold up when applied to things outside of the genre it is intentionally subverting.

It's also not a perfect game by any means, the shooting is terrible and at times it falls into the trap of becoming what it is trying to subvert but overall, Spec Ops: The Line is pretty much one of the best examples of intentional genre subversion. The best way to experience it isn't as a wise person or coming to it from more cerebral games but rather as a person whose gaming pallete consisted of mostly grey-brown military shooters. Y'know, just like people were back when it came out in 2012.

Which is also an important part people leave out in discussing the game nowadays, the ever important context of its release. Back when brown military shooters were at the height of their popularity (just before their decline started, really) and realistic military power fantasy was all the rage. Removing it from that context and trying to shoehorn it into a different context (say trying to portray it as part of a subset of games which have something to say about the medium as a whole) only makes its flaws stand out and its subversion of genre norms come across as railroady holier-than-thou bollocks marred by average at best shooting.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: August 22, 2016, 05:29:19 pm »

On a slightly related note, I get really annoyed at games that make you do something stupid and roundabout to get the "good" ending.

Take, for example, Tales of Symphonia 2. Not a great game, but the gameplay was passable enough. Fun combos, silly characters, not a bad experience.

Then, at the end of the game there are several final battles. If you want the best ending, you have to win the first one and LOSE the second one (at which point you get to fight a third one, which you have to win). In a game where your goal the entire time has always been "Beat the enemies, don't get your entire party KO'd" you're randomly supposed to do the exact opposite. Like, what?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:42:32 pm by Nighthawk »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: August 22, 2016, 05:52:47 pm »

Mass Effect 2's ending was kinda like that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: August 22, 2016, 05:56:56 pm »

On a slightly related note, I get really annoyed at games that make you do something stupid and roundabout to get the "good" ending.

Take, for example, Tales of Symphonia 2. Not a great game, but the gameplay was passable enough. Fun combos, silly characters, not a bad experience.

Then, at the end of the game there are several final battles. If you want the best ending, you have to win the first one and LOSE the second one (at which point you get to fight a third one, which you have to win). In a game where your goal the entire time has always been "Beat the enemies, don't get your entire party KO'd" you're randomly supposed to do the exact opposite. Like, what?

Yes so much. I'm still pissed that I got the bad ending for Metro: Last Light because I failed to give one hobo a little bit of money.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: August 22, 2016, 06:14:30 pm »

Yes so much. I'm still pissed that I got the bad ending for Metro: Last Light because I failed to give one hobo a little bit of money.

This kind of thing puts me off playing games like Disgaea. I think one of the things for the good ending there is to never hurt your own guys in combat but that's kind of inevitable when you're learning the art of prinny tossing.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: August 22, 2016, 07:47:30 pm »

If I remember right, the actual bar to the best ending in the original Disgaea was to never actually kill one of your own party members. This didn't include prinny throwing unless it blows up a different one of your characters. It's pretty easy to never do that, especially since the main story missions are easy enough to do with nothing but the storyline characters.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: August 25, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »

I want my goddamn cheat codes back and I want my big head mode back. Christ, even the GTA series which was basically THE AAA franchise that uses cheats has a lot less of them in GTA V than they did in other games. I'm just hoping Bannerlord will have cheats like Warband and M&B did.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: August 25, 2016, 08:02:29 pm »

Ah, yes, the eternal debate about games that lecture you for indulging in power fantasies... I'm not fundamentally opposed to that sort of thing. Done right, "you were a power-hungry bastard, there's consequences for that, life's a bitch" can work wonders. Especially if it's stupidity and incompetence you're being punished for -- you can be a true monster in Planescape: Torment, but running around murdering people for the lulz instead of being manipulative and subtle is a great way to attract the attention of the Lady of Pain. Not every game's gotta be Saint's Row. Done wrong...

Gonna borrow a scene from the The Stanley Parable, which I hated until I realized what it was doing. The Countdown ending. In it, the narrator starts mercilessly berating the player, snidely mocking their desire to indulge in a childish power fantasy, while a countdown ticks down to a nuclear detonation. Sound familiar and obnoxious? Except that the narrator is indulging in a childish power fantasy himself as he chastises the player. I find myself often thinking back to it when I find some omnipotent creator of the game world deciding it is their right to (usually much more metaphorically) lecture me for whatever imagined sin they deem me guilty of...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:24:05 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: August 26, 2016, 01:53:14 pm »

It annoys me a little when people say "Losing is Fun" is an unofficial community motto, because, well, It's actually in the game so how is it "unofficial"?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: August 26, 2016, 02:14:13 pm »

Oh god that system.

On the one hand sure, I get the mentality of "players shouldn't get the secret ending on their first run", on the other hand "screwing up one thing outright removes any chances you had to get the secret ending" is dumb in anything but a visual novel (where you can skip to the choices on replays)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: August 31, 2016, 07:22:54 am »

I can't play Dishonored for that reason.

You have various endings, depending on how many people you kill during missions; to get the "perfect" ending, you need to leave everyone alive.

That would be good, and it would be nice to have a secret reward for people who put extra effort in the game; but what that means is you really are forced into a specific kind of playstyle; and you can't just ignore that, because it's not really a secret: loading screen messages constantly tell you "if you want to be good, leave people alive"; "your game will be judged based on the amount of kills"; "remember to leave EVERYONE alive to get the GOOD ending"; "every victim you leave behind will give you a worse ending"...

It's basically like someone telling you "No, you can do whatever you want in the game. Of course, doing THIS means you are better and you get something more than those OTHER people who are not good enough... but no pressure, you are allowed to play anyway you want, it's not a problem if you feel like playing the game wrong... Go ahead, I don't care; see you again when you have start everything againg because you lost out on the actual GOOD stuff..."
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 324