Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519707 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3360 on: August 20, 2016, 10:09:55 pm »

Aw, 6/10?  I actually really enjoyed watching it, and not just for the riffing.  Was entertaining in a campy way, and at times actually quite creepy.  Even with the riffs.

And I'm honestly not sure about the progress triggers, I watched the thing months ago (...and played like 15 minutes at a friend's place many years ago, but got too freaked out XD)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: August 20, 2016, 10:12:58 pm »

Aw, 6/10?  I actually really enjoyed watching it, and not just for the riffing.  Was entertaining in a campy way, and at times actually quite creepy.  Even with the riffs.

And I'm honestly not sure about the progress triggers, I watched the thing months ago (...and played like 15 minutes at a friend's place many years ago, but got too freaked out XD)

Remember that the 6/10s are its reviews by people taking it seriously as a game.

In terms of "Hilarious campy games" This game is actually one of the greats, possibly hitting the top 10. Heck Its Sequel Phantasmagoria 2 would probably have dethroned it if it wasn't such an abysmal slog to get through.

Though I will give props to Phantasmagoria 2... earliest game with a Bisexual lead and where the male love interest isn't a joke.

There is actually something touching I'd say about it... If it wasn't a huge spoiler... But I'll say his love wasn't considered "Lesser"

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: August 21, 2016, 06:23:54 am »

It's a small peeve of mine but it's still a peeve. When you have these momentous moments like in the God of War series when you're killing a god but the music doesn't equal the intensity of the experience. Fitting and of decent quality, yes, but it doesn't really add to it. It's just generic epic music.

A game that comes to mind that did this right is Assassin's Creed 2. Whenever something significantly mysterious, mystical, or wondrous happened, the music was there to emphasise and underline the experience rather than merely provide suitable backdrop.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: August 21, 2016, 02:22:55 pm »

yeah music is what distinguishes good games from great games.

its the most obvious example, but Undertale did this really well. when i first got to Asgore i went "oh shit" and the music supported that. leitmotifs and spoilers also combine to great effect.

id say this also works pretty nicely in PAYDAY, but that game suffers from the fact that the music eventually fades into the background as you learn to focus on WULULULU instead
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:25:08 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: August 21, 2016, 02:34:24 pm »

The blooddemonsoulsbornedark games have great epic music as well.
Really gets across the mood of IF YOU DON'T DODGE THIS YOU WILL DIE

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: August 21, 2016, 02:47:42 pm »

I personally think AAA games are kinda losing/have already lost their edge when it comes to music.  I just don't think they try that hard on the music, and a trend in many games (especially multiplayer ones) is to have music but don't play it most of the time.

Compare to Indy games where many (most?) of the successful ones use their soundtrack as a major selling point.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: August 21, 2016, 02:50:12 pm »

Depends on the multiplayer game, really. In a game like tf2 you don't want music. I used to sometimes play tf2 with music in the background and my performance was noticeably worse because it drowned out all the subtle audio cues (spies uncloaking, "I am fully charged!", an engineer hitting something...)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: August 21, 2016, 02:57:12 pm »

Still a bit of a shame for multiplayer games I think. TF2 has some good music made for it, but none of it plays in game.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: August 21, 2016, 03:13:59 pm »

It plays on the various menus. Maybe some could play postgame. But playing it in game would just add another setting that you need to toggle to be good, alongside hitsounds, damage numbers, etc

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: August 21, 2016, 03:52:47 pm »

I can't really recall the music of any AAA game I've played from the last five or so years. It's all just generically orchestral and bland, like the soundtrack to a mediocre movie even when the games deserved much better than that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: August 21, 2016, 03:53:36 pm »

I personally think AAA games are kinda losing/have already lost their edge when it comes to music.
The civ series has good music, especially for intro screens.
And the radios in the GTAs are awesome.

Other than that, I don't remember anything special, though :/

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: August 21, 2016, 04:00:52 pm »

Off the top of my head, Monster Hunter (or at least 4U), both 3DS Fire Emblem games, and the 3DS Pokémon games had pretty good music. Maybe there's just a high bar for music in 3DS games :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: August 21, 2016, 04:33:19 pm »

MH4U does have amazing music, I forgot about that one. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: August 21, 2016, 05:40:56 pm »

Off the top of my head, Monster Hunter (or at least 4U), both 3DS Fire Emblem games, and the 3DS Pokémon games had pretty good music. Maybe there's just a high bar for music in 3DS games :P
Nintendo consoles are different than the PC/Xbox/PS AAA games.  Most of the stuff released on Nintendo consoles is tied to ancient franchises and at least part of their soundtrack is always remakes from earlier in the series.  Gotta get those nostalgia points.

I dunno, it feels like with the big open world or MP title of the month they handed some executive a stack of cash and were like "go outsource some music for us."  And then forgot about it until a few months before release.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: August 21, 2016, 05:50:31 pm »

Film and video game soundtracks make up most of the music I regularly listen to, so I probably pay more attention to in-game music than others might.

Austin Wintory's music for Journey and the Banner Saga was really enjoyable. I've heard good things about his music for ABZU too.

Halo 5, Civ:BE, Skyrim and Arkham City are AAA games from the last 5 years with I've enjoyed outside their respective games. Alien: Isolation's music was also pretty good as an homage to the first film's music and building the world you were in.

Part of the problem is a lot of game music aims to be in the background because devs are concerned about distracting the gamer, which leads to the music itself not being all to memorable. This seems especially to the case for open world games where its kind of hard to code in the right music to play when you're justing running around and messing about. I feel like Bethesda's radio system in Fallout and score for Elder Scrolls handled the problem comparatively well though.

And while AAA games can have soundtracks that veer into mediocre orchestral music, pixel indie games can sometimes have really electronic music that sounds more annoying then retro.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 324