Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519726 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3330 on: August 06, 2016, 11:04:20 am »

I'm pretty sure the voice lines in morrowind changed depending on what you were wearing.  If you were tricked out in super expensive robes and jewelry people would compliment you on that if I remember. 
Nom nom nom

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: August 06, 2016, 11:30:09 am »

It might've been based off the sell value of your clothes because I think you'd get those lines if you were wearing dark brotherhood armour.  Though you end up wearing so many different trinkets, layers and bits and bobs in Morrowind it took a lot of effort to strip it all off.

It's funny that Skyrim and I think Oblivion have systems for enemies to yield if you prove too strong for them but they're undependable so I would guess no one bothers with them. I never did.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: August 06, 2016, 01:47:19 pm »

I just ignored them.

"I yield, I yield!"

"You shouldn't have started it then" *stabbity stab*
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: August 06, 2016, 02:06:16 pm »

Spoiler: Fallout 3 (click to show/hide)

I can't think any games off the top of my head where characters recognize your power based on what you're wearing. I do remember in the Witcher townsfolk would exclaim something like "A witcher! Hide your women!" when they spotted you (Geralt).

In the action RPG Revenant, NPCs literally can only tell how far you are in the story by the armor you are wearing. Like, if you remove and put on an older one, they revert to "Act I" banter and so on.

Not counting cutscenes of course.

This is specially obvious because your character gets progressively more bloodlusty and insane as you advance in the game.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: August 06, 2016, 02:10:48 pm »

Skyrim's guard NPCs will comment on what kind of weapon you have sheathed when you are walking by.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: August 06, 2016, 02:21:47 pm »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're commenting on your high skills.  They do that for pretty much every skill, even when it makes no sense (like theft or stealth).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: August 06, 2016, 06:18:10 pm »

They do mention skills. They do mention weapons too though, they get quite freaked out at the mace of one of the Dremora god things. Malog Bal, I believe
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: August 06, 2016, 06:38:19 pm »

"Did you hear that they have curved swords?"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: August 06, 2016, 06:54:06 pm »

"Did you hear that they have curved swords?"

No one has EVER had Curved swords before!

Except for... everybody...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: August 06, 2016, 06:55:36 pm »

Shh... Don't you see how excited Steve is?  Let him have this.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: August 19, 2016, 05:41:14 pm »

I hate when games make my laptop processor run at 100% for no reason.  Sometimes it's justified of course, but many games don't lag at all when I switch the CPU mode to "power saving".  The only difference is I don't have to insulate my leg, so they're somehow wasting tons of cycles on nonsense.

I also hate it in metroidvania games when the direction of progress is more obscure than most of the secrets.  Happens every time, I always eventually have to look up a guide for like one or two parts 3/4 through the game.  So frustrating.

Most recently in AM2R...  Sitting here with 6 energy tanks and 175 missiles, but totally confounded by the power bomb gate puzzle.  Because part of the puzzle hasn't spawned yet, because I haven't killed enough metroids, because I missed a doorway...  From a room that had a metroid in it.  Mainly kicking myself, but I swear the metroid symbol makes it a little tougher to notice the doorway on the map.  (Also there are like three extant doorways I have to ignore because they require power bombs, but the map doesn't convey that).

Best part?  Yeah it's my fault I missed *that* doorway...  But there are *two* metroids in that side area.  One of them in a literally secret room that *doesn't* get a doorway indicator!  Yeah it's a fairly obvious tunnel when you're there, but gods help you if you left without getting both.

It's some consolation that 4 super missiles and all these energy tanks make omega metroids pushovers.

Edit:  AM2R IS REALLY GOOD THOUGH
Just got power bombs (the right way, I was on the wrong track).  Besides missing that one doorway to that one metroid, it's been a great experience.  And it's actually getting more interesting as it goes, with unexpected new areas.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:10:21 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: August 19, 2016, 06:27:33 pm »

It bothers me when a game's flashy or exciting content is "front-loaded", so to speak. You know, when the first hour of the game has most of the pre-rendered cutscenes, or most of the plot is at the beginning and end, but the middle 80% of the game is filler; that kind of thing. The 3DS Fire Emblem games, for example, are pretty bad offenders; Awakening has 6 FMV sequences and three of them are used in the first level, and all three Fates games are basically linear "go to this place and defeat the enemy" plots past the first 6 expository chapters (and have similar cutscene issues.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: August 19, 2016, 07:51:26 pm »

It bothers me when a game's flashy or exciting content is "front-loaded", so to speak. You know, when the first hour of the game has most of the pre-rendered cutscenes, or most of the plot is at the beginning and end, but the middle 80% of the game is filler; that kind of thing. The 3DS Fire Emblem games, for example, are pretty bad offenders; Awakening has 6 FMV sequences and three of them are used in the first level, and all three Fates games are basically linear "go to this place and defeat the enemy" plots past the first 6 expository chapters (and have similar cutscene issues.)

I'll include "Back-Loaded" games. I don't mind working for things, but goodness I am not someone who likes 30 hours of boredom with 5 hours of joy.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: August 20, 2016, 12:43:12 am »

What bothers me most in game writing is when the ending seems to come out of nowhere. I hate it when the finale leaves me with a "Wait, the game's ending now?" sort of feeling.

Games with climaxes I enjoyed tended to have at least an hour or two of run-up to the big finish. DE:HR had a pretty huge level before the final battle, both KOTOR games had massive (although tedious) dungeons and plenty of dialogue before the actual ending, Ocarina of Time had Ganon's Tower, both getting in and escaping, and plenty of other examples.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: August 20, 2016, 12:53:08 am »

The lack of socialization as a major game mechanic in RPGs. Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect came close to a prototype stage, but never achieved it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 324