Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519770 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3255 on: April 19, 2016, 02:50:31 pm »

most fantasy worlds are basically Tolken

Not really...

Sure they have the same races but lack the same dynamics.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: April 19, 2016, 02:52:45 pm »

They're more like Tolkien Lite, which means taking all the cool shit from Tolkien but not being bothered with such pesky things as the culture, the history and the political/racial dynamics, preferring to substitute them with a easy to follow and remember list of tropes and racial stereotypes.

Yaknow, just like D&D.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: April 19, 2016, 03:12:13 pm »

They're more like Tolkien Lite, which means taking all the cool shit from Tolkien but not being bothered with such pesky things as the culture, the history and the political/racial dynamics, preferring to substitute them with a easy to follow and remember list of tropes and racial stereotypes.

Yaknow, just like D&D.

While I could object...

DND does it on purpose because it is up to the DM to fill in the details. Overdetailing things would be to the player's detriment.

I should also state that Exalted has Dwarves and Elves.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: April 19, 2016, 03:44:03 pm »

Also, why does every RPG have HP, amirite?!  Oh and magic, whether it's fantasy magic or sciencey magick like psionics and revivication?  And why do they always take place on land?  Why can't there be one set entirely underwater?......actually that last idea might now be a bad one :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: April 19, 2016, 03:56:36 pm »

Also, why does every RPG have HP, amirite?!  Oh and magic, whether it's fantasy magic or sciencey magick like psionics and revivication?  And why do they always take place on land?  Why can't there be one set entirely underwater?......actually that last idea might now be a bad one :P

It is because HP is a hard mechanic to replace. Dwarf Fortress is just about the only RPG that eliminated HP (mostly by having the game deal with one hit kills)

As for Magic, because having an RPG without magic, in any form, is actually something tricky to pull off. It has been done though.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: April 19, 2016, 04:14:19 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is just about the only RPG that eliminated HP (mostly by having the game deal with one hit kills)
Judging by how long it takes for me and my companions to beat a cyclops to death, I beg to differ on the one hit kills. Most deaths in DF seem to be bleedouts. That's if they haven't ran away.

In fact, I like how DF reflects reality: you have to work to kill someone.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: April 20, 2016, 03:15:31 am »

Well, it's not directly HP. IIRC losing a lot of blood will make you weaker and prone to KOs, but you'll still die if you lose all of it. Only Toady knows exactly how it works though.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: April 20, 2016, 07:04:25 am »

It is because HP is a hard mechanic to replace. Dwarf Fortress is just about the only RPG that eliminated HP (mostly by having the game deal with one hit kills)
Not actually true; it has a lot of different HP meters (one three for each layer of each bodypart, in fact, plus the bloodloss track) for a single person interwoven together in a complex manner (though said complexity has an annoying tendency in getting reduced to either "one-hit kill" or "death of million cuts"), granted, but it's still ultimately an HP-based system.

A non-HP based system would have to model actual deformation of things (as in, changes in 3D-shapes), and DF doesn't do that, not even close.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:06:00 am by Sergarr »
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:36 am »

To my knowledge it still doesn't use hit points. The only thing that could be considered hit points is blood amount.

Dwarf Fortress uses a wound system and each wound someone possesses makes them more prone to another wound... on and on until one hit kill is rolled.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: April 20, 2016, 11:26:28 am »

To my knowledge it still doesn't use hit points. The only thing that could be considered hit points is blood amount.

Dwarf Fortress uses a wound system and each wound someone possesses makes them more prone to another wound... on and on until one hit kill is rolled.
You'd think so, but actually, under the hood, it ultimately just uses HP tracks, three (denting damage, cutting damage and fracturing damage; I think there's also a track for pulping since DF40 nope it's just formulas) for each layer of each bodypart, as I've said before, plus a few of moderately complex formula to determine the amount of HP damage dealt to different HP tracks of the bodypart's layers.

It creates a fairly good illusion that there's some super-complex system underneath, by hiding the numbers of HP tracks and thus allowing people to make up "plausible explanations" for why crossbow bolts were ignoring armor pre-DF40 (which in reality was caused by a rounding error), but in the end it's just an illusion. "Nothing that wouldn't make an engineer cry", as Toady has said once.

There is no "wound system" anywhere and whoever told you that "DF uses a wound system" was wrong.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:32:11 am by Sergarr »
._.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: April 20, 2016, 01:37:59 pm »

Well that's really good to know.  So eventually all those little nicks and cuts I was making in that bronze colossus would have killed it eventually.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: April 20, 2016, 02:13:20 pm »

Well that's really good to know.  So eventually all those little nicks and cuts I was making in that bronze colossus would have killed it eventually.
Well it depends. There are a few cases where attacks just deflect with zero damage, and attacking extremely heavy bronze colossus with weak and light weapons is one of them. However, if you were denting it, then yes, it would eventually accumulate. Though it would probably take a lot of time. Bronze colossus is really big. Like, really big. Also sturdy, because it's made from bronze. And lacks any weak points. And also doesn't get weaker even if it's close to death. Basically bronze colossus is total bullshit, is what I am trying to say.

Also most parameters on default in-game weapons are seriously borked, like, weapon contact areas are about a thousand times larger than they should be, which make them really fucking weak against large-sized targets, like, well, bronze colossus; penetration numbers less so, but they're still usually large enough to not matter at all. Graknorke's weapons mod, I believe, uses much better numbers, thanks to me.
._.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: April 25, 2016, 12:04:33 pm »

One thing I just realized I hate:

When a game, say a 3d platformer/shooter, whose levels allow (and reward, with extra coins or collectibles or whatever) exploration, but you have no way to know which way is the end of the level and which ones are the optional branching paths. And then you get near the exit and it shoves you into the next area, with no way of going back, and autosaves.

Damn you Alice Madness Returns.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: April 25, 2016, 03:51:42 pm »

One thing I just realized I hate:

When a game, say a 3d platformer/shooter, whose levels allow (and reward, with extra coins or collectibles or whatever) exploration, but you have no way to know which way is the end of the level and which ones are the optional branching paths. And then you get near the exit and it shoves you into the next area, with no way of going back, and autosaves.
Oh man, I didn't even realize just how much I hated that thing before I've read this. Unmarked exploratory areas are such complete bullshit.
._.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: April 25, 2016, 04:04:49 pm »

It creates a fairly good illusion that there's some super-complex system underneath
I wouldn't say it's an illusion, at least taken in the context of the rest of the video game market. Can you name another game where damage is modeled by having a bunch of different HP trackers on individual layers of tissue?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 324