Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519763 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3240 on: April 17, 2016, 06:40:49 pm »

My friend told me that game mods were dead. I told him that I was made a trialmod on a server for a game and he said 'not that mod'
I knew.

I then told him how wrong he was. The fact that MW (where I pointed him to) hasn't been updated in over a year probably didnt help.

PEEVE TIME!
   Multiplayer (espescially I kill you kill me kill him types like COD) games where it is possible to get cheap kills easily. In one gamemode of COD4 you got to keep your killstreaks through rounds and people would airstrike the shit out of each other's spawns for the kills.
   Guilty of doing a variation of this myself. If I play long enough I know where and when people are going to walk past my C4 or that if I throw this grenade over this wall there's probably going to be some guys running by. COD4 map 'crossfire' at the marines initial spawn rin straight forward to the alleyway and throw your frags to the other side. When they land their timer's pretty much done so people cant throw them back and that is an extremely well-trafficked area of the game. Sometimes it's better to wait 10-20 seconds, but straightup throwing nades usually gets a couple of SMGers.

Anyway, getting killed like that just feels cheap. Oh look, grenade coming down with the explosive power of an airstrike! let's throw it back ove- nope, it's timer's done, blerg!
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: April 17, 2016, 06:53:31 pm »

My friend told me that game mods were dead. I told him that I was made a trialmod on a server for a game and he said 'not that mod'
I knew.

I then told him how wrong he was. The fact that MW (where I pointed him to) hasn't been updated in over a year probably didnt help.
Haha! Well played.

PEEVE TIME!
   Multiplayer (espescially I kill you kill me kill him types like COD) games where it is possible to get cheap kills easily. In one gamemode of COD4 you got to keep your killstreaks through rounds and people would airstrike the shit out of each other's spawns for the kills.
Not only seconding this, but actually asking...  Why does it need to be this way?  Yeah, Team Fortress (especially 2) let people survive a few seconds of reflex fire...  But why aren't there any fully tactical FPSes?  Obviously tactics is the edge that makes the difference in competitive FPS, but what if everyone had 10X health?  Wouldn't that make it tactical (rather than reflex/aim) at every level of play?

And don't give me "realism" as an excuse when TF2 is still such a huge player.

Although uh...  I guess maybe that's a niche MOBAs and MMORPG PVP have filled.  Team tactics without perfunctory reflex/aiming.  I just haven't gotten into those games due to the peer pressures they come with.

On an unrelated note, I don't miss the really, really stupid puzzles in pretty much every point-and-click adventure game.  Even though we played the relatively easy and almost logical Lucasarts ones instead of that Sierra nonsense.  Using every item on every action area isn't good gameplay.  For the final area, sure okay, but it should be *possible* to figure out the other "puzzles" without brute forcing them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: April 17, 2016, 07:11:03 pm »

On an unrelated note, I don't miss the really, really stupid puzzles in pretty much every point-and-click adventure game.  Even though we played the relatively easy and almost logical Lucasarts ones instead of that Sierra nonsense.  Using every item on every action area isn't good gameplay.  For the final area, sure okay, but it should be *possible* to figure out the other "puzzles" without brute forcing them.

The Discworld point and click game was a cut above regular, run of the mill moon logic. Look up a walkthrough sometime, it's something special.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: April 17, 2016, 07:13:05 pm »

For the final area, sure okay, but it should be *possible* to figure out the other "puzzles" without brute forcing them.

I wish I kept up my Letsplay so I could have showed people how to play point and clicks. Since MOST of the time this wasn't the case (most... not all... >_<)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: April 17, 2016, 07:24:13 pm »

...You did a LP?  I'd really love to see that, man!

And I want to add that I loved everything else about those games.  Even the Sierra ones.  Heck, in screenshot LP form they might be even better.  The gameplay is just awful.  Walking dead, and not even because you did anything dumb - because you didn't scan every cupboard in a room where you were fleeing from alien marines.  To find a *magnet* that lets you cheat at *SLOTS*.  Which you can still play, but you won't win the money you need.  (Space Quest 1)

I was incredibly fortunate when playing those Lucasarts games:  I had a partner who could suggest things I didn't think of, and a parent who (I realize now) had access to the answers via newsgroups.  And fed us hints as necessary.  Without a assistance like that, they're almost objectively awful.  But they make for good LPs.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: April 17, 2016, 07:29:18 pm »

I really liked Sam and Max Hit the Road... solved in more or less in a single attempt.

And then there's Riven...which I might as well have just read the strategy guide straight through and never installed the game at all.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: April 17, 2016, 07:37:55 pm »

And yet I love what I've heard of Riven from my best friend.  Some real interesting dimensional physics, and the number system...

But for actually puzzling it out alone?  Argh!
He and I actually did very well in Uru.  Sure he did better, of course.  But I did catch some things that he missed, and we were better than he would have been alone.

I think puzzle games are best coop like that.
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: April 17, 2016, 10:44:09 pm »

...You did a LP?  I'd really love to see that, man!

My mistake was choosing Siberia as the first game (and depression >_>) because as interesting and engrossing as the game is...

It is also really boring too.

It is probably the only game I can think of where I can go "It is boring, but it is good" outside art games.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: April 17, 2016, 10:53:03 pm »

Of all the games the three of us played (me, brother, friend) Siberia is one of the few we couldn't get far in!
That and uh... an FMV game about submarines.  I think we saved at a bad time.  Because no matter what we chose, the fuckwad blew up the submarine.

We didn't even beat the second level of Another World either (until much later, when I played it with save states).
She/they

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: April 19, 2016, 10:08:31 am »

I've been playing Grim Dawn recently, and after the intial high hopes for the setting and story it all kinda petered out rather quickly. The gameplay itself is a refined and improved version of Titan Quest, so that's still pretty fun, plus they have some really neat systems in place that tie in with crafting and factions that I'd love to see in some other ARPG's. But that's not the peeve. The peeve is something that I've noticed and when I started thinking about it some more I realised that holy shit every ARPG that I've played to date has had the same basic set of enemies, with maybe one or two unique things, regardless of the setting.

You have zombies, usually early on, sometimes mid game, they may not always be just undead but they're zombie like in behaviour and looks for the most part, wether they're made from regular corpses, revived by otherworldy spirits or bodies possessed by angry spirits or whatever. Then you have your run of the mill skellingtons, nothing too fancy for the most part, but every setting has them.
Then there's the giant insects, usually spiders, sometimes something more creative like wasps or whatever. Also wild animals, which will always be driven to agression by whatever calamity is happening in the world, usually something dog like and something birdlike, perhaps a pig of some sort too.
Tying into that there'll always be some sort of beastfolk, depending on the setting and your current location within the setting you could be bashing in snakepeople, spiderfolk, some sort of cat combo and of course everyone's favourite, the fucking harpy.
And finally the garden variety of orcs, goblins and trolls. Of course they're rarely call them exactly that, and they'll maybe give them a nice paintjob but an overused archetype is an overused archetype, no matter how much you try to hide it with paint and shiny bits.

ARPG's, really shitty and bland settings once you think about them for a bit.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: April 19, 2016, 11:57:23 am »

Well, maybe the old fantasy and fairy tale writers should have been more creative.  Most of these creatures are based off those old myths.  You can't go using anything remotely recent, unless you're basing the game off the work or author, because you gotta pay for that!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:56 pm »

You could also, you know, be creative yourself.
Or use creatures that aren't used as often. Or ones from different cultures.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: April 19, 2016, 12:21:50 pm »

Yeah, but being creative would require straying from the well trodden path of bog standard enemy types and variets. Not only would it require more work but it could also turn out poorly. So they go for the safe and well known approach. Which is a shame really, I'd love to see a game where there's more to dealing with enemies than just clicking them until they die. Something that would require a bit more thought in approaching encounters, even tying it into builds so you don't just go for the stuff that has the highest numbers or whatever, but stuff that makes certain enemies workable in a sense.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: April 19, 2016, 01:59:14 pm »

ARPG's are a pretty stagnant genre in and of themselves, in no small part because the playerbase absolutely detests new things. People seem to want a reskinned Diablo 2, but better than the nostalgia factor of Diablo 2, which is insurmountable for old-timers (personally I think Dialo 2 was fundamentally flawed in a lot of ways that people militantly ignore for reasons I can't understand).

In a narrow sense, the expansion for dungeon siege 2 had some interesting stuff with grafted fleshcritters like pixies with metal razor wings or forest spirits that had flail axes sewn into their arm sockets.

In a grand sense, there's the shambling trash, beefy tank trash, pack-hunting animalistic trash, and squishy caster trash. I'm having trouble coming up with something wildly different from those that would still fit in a mostly-traditional hack'n'slash.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: April 19, 2016, 02:42:00 pm »

most fantasy worlds are basically Tolken
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 324