Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519790 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3225 on: April 16, 2016, 02:58:21 pm »

Neonevik, more point and clicks are now being made yearly than in the late 90s heyday. Genre ain't dead.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: April 16, 2016, 03:21:11 pm »

Neonevik, more point and clicks are now being made yearly than in the late 90s heyday. Genre ain't dead.

Hey to me Point and clicks never went away. but if we accept that Post Point and Click collapse it was dead... Then we have to accept that it is still dead.

Though really I am not sure where you get the "There is more" unless we are talking about obscure indie titles... are counting interactive fiction... or are counting walking simulators like "Gone Home"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: April 16, 2016, 03:43:24 pm »

Wasn't aware that the gaming industry had died. Unless you mean the crash, but I would certainly not call it the "death" of the gaming industry.
^

Also don't mention Telltale... They have abandoned their point and click origins completely now and are exclusively interactive fiction. Their least popular titles are their point and clicks while their most popular are interactive fiction games. For example "Wolf Among Us" is interactive fiction, not point and click.

So yeah point and clicks are still dead.

Isn't every PC game that uses a mouse a point and click game?

Also, I wasn't aware that Telltale was making games where you type things in and the computer tries to interpret them.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: April 16, 2016, 03:59:04 pm »

Isn't every PC game that uses a mouse a point and click game?

No... Point and clicks are a specific genre of videogames such as Monkey Island, Kings Quest, Day of the Tentacle. An example of a point and click without any pointing and clicking would be Grim Fandango.

Like the genre RPG, its name comes from its origins rather then what it is.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: April 16, 2016, 04:25:55 pm »

Hey to me Point and clicks never went away. but if we accept that Post Point and Click collapse it was dead... Then we have to accept that it is still dead.

Though really I am not sure where you get the "There is more" unless we are talking about obscure indie titles... are counting interactive fiction... or are counting walking simulators like "Gone Home"
Let me enlighten you. There are a number of studios bringing out top notch point & click adventure games. Just in the last year:

Wadjet Eye Games (games this year include Shadlight and Technobabylon).

Nelly Cootalot

Kathy Rain

Over a hundred other titles this year alone

'Obscure' is just a word for things you haven't discovered yet.

--

For the last few years I've been going to the AdventureX convention, and I can tell you for a fact that while publishers may have put adventure games out of business in the late 90s, early 00s, now with the resurgence of independent studios more and more adventure games are being made each year.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:27:54 pm by notquitethere »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: April 16, 2016, 04:33:11 pm »

Really? No Blackwell in that list? :P

Maybe some Daedelic Studio action?

Wadjet and Daedelic are the two biggest companies making point and clicks right now.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:35:01 pm by Neonivek »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: April 16, 2016, 04:36:02 pm »

I do have to say that I think Telltale's "interactive fiction" is just dressed up point and click, though. I think the only thing missing is the puzzle element (bearing in mind I'm not the biggest point and click fan, so my experience is generally with Broken Sword 1 + 2 and a little bit of Grim Fandango)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: April 16, 2016, 04:42:53 pm »

I do have to say that I think Telltale's "interactive fiction" is just dressed up point and click, though. I think the only thing missing is the puzzle element (bearing in mind I'm not the biggest point and click fan, so my experience is generally with Broken Sword 1 + 2 and a little bit of Grim Fandango)

Yeah but the puzzle element 'is' the difference between the two genres... well for the most part.

Or rather one could say that there are two elements: Story and Puzzle. Without the story it is a puzzle game, and without the puzzle it is interactive fiction. With them both you get Point and Click Adventure.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:45:34 pm by Neonivek »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: April 16, 2016, 06:27:05 pm »

One more recommendation for Point and Click: The Submachine series

It has a very deep story, though generally vague and hard to interpret, and some really interesting puzzles plus a wonderfully consistent internal logic. It's also got great art design. Though, it doesn't really find its footing until Submachine 4 imo.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: April 17, 2016, 05:22:36 am »

One more recommendation for Point and Click: The Submachine series

It has a very deep story, though generally vague and hard to interpret, and some really interesting puzzles plus a wonderfully consistent internal logic. It's also got great art design. Though, it doesn't really find its footing until Submachine 4 imo.

I call your Submachine and raise a MOTAS http://www.albartus.com/motas/

MOTAS was nice because the puzzles are almost all actually logical while still challenging.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: April 17, 2016, 08:52:13 am »

guys, this is a pet peeve topic, not a point and click adventure list topic.  Though we may disagree with others on our peeves, there aren't any wrong answers here, it's an opinion thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: April 17, 2016, 08:56:12 am »

guys, this is a pet peeve topic, not a point and click adventure list topic.  Though we may disagree with others on our peeves, there aren't any wrong answers here, it's an opinion thread
OK

Pet Peeve: People Saying X Genre Is Dead When It's Not

As long as people still have the desire to make those kind of games and the tools to do it, no video game genre is dead.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: April 17, 2016, 10:55:33 am »

Related:
People saying a feature/genre/way of doing things is dead when the triple-A industry abandons it

See: the death of survival horror, the death of single player games, the death of countless genres, the death of PC gaming, et cetera et cetera

Just because the bigwigs stopped doing it don't make it buried.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: April 17, 2016, 11:00:14 am »

Single player games are dead? When did this happen? I've been playing multiplayer games by accident!?

The thing about survival horror is... kind of true. I don't actively search out games, but if YouTube is anything to go by, survival horror has been replaced with "look at all the jumpscares in my game!"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: April 17, 2016, 11:40:59 am »

Single player games are dead? When did this happen? I've been playing multiplayer games by accident!?

The thing about survival horror is... kind of true. I don't actively search out games, but if YouTube is anything to go by, survival horror has been replaced with "look at all the jumpscares in my game!"
It was a brief period (from about CoD 4 to Skyrim, I believe) in triple A releases when every game coming out had needless multiplayer elements in them because Market Testing and the triple A collectively decided that games that were Singleplayer only were not worth the investment as everyone only really cared about the multiplayer and singleplayer was basically just a thing they had to have so they could shill their multiplayer games.

Then Skyrim came along and everyone was flabberghasted at how well it did and that put a sort of end to all that nonsense.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 324