Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519785 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3210 on: April 16, 2016, 02:00:45 am »

No, the ethic of modern game developers is that you get the game for free, and then you are presented with the opportunity to buy items which are essentially cheats, such as additional turns when you're about to lose, and like a drug dealer, they offer you a free sample of each to get you hooked. #candycrush
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: April 16, 2016, 02:04:46 am »

Mmh.  The ethic of modern game developers is if you buy the game you should be able to see everything in it regardless of how good you are at the game.  This gets looked down on a lot as casual but I would argue its a good thing.  Like you say its not necessarily a fun thing to get stuck.

This is why RPGs still have grinding, even though everyone hates grinding. What does grinding do? It makes play balance easier and acts as a dynamic level of difficulty. And the odd thing is that people seem to see grinding as a leet thing, when in fact, it's the easy-mode button.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: April 16, 2016, 02:06:32 am »

everyone hates grinding

Go try that one at the Grim Dawn forums. People are saying around 1,000 hours to accrue a decent selection of gear is way too fast.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: April 16, 2016, 02:23:18 am »

No, the ethic of modern game developers is that you get the game for free, and then you are presented with the opportunity to buy items which are essentially cheats, such as additional turns when you're about to lose, and like a drug dealer, they offer you a free sample of each to get you hooked. #candycrush
Sorry, *an* ethic of modern game developers.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: April 16, 2016, 07:10:41 am »

People wanting stuff to be "hardcore" is a problem, but I think a bigger problem is making meaningful difficulty. In some situations, you want RNG so the game isnt just "follow these exact instructions or lose", but too much RNG also makes your difficulty worse.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: April 16, 2016, 10:55:31 am »

I have to seriously disagree with you Reelya.  Purchasing a game should absolutely not be the only hurdle one has in seeing it the whole way through.  Though this is largely genre-dependent, I think the onus should lie on the person purchasing the game doing their research over it landing on the developer to make it all inclusive.  That mindset has lead to the stagnation in gaming we're seeing, as no one wants to risk innovation.  I really hate what this mentality has done to MMO's because since the inception of MUDs, the genre was defined by difficult gameplay which required groups of people and socialization which now is no longer the case because of the "I pay my $15 a month too" mentality, and we can actively see exactly what that's done to the prime example that is World of Warcraft.  There is no longer the carrot on the stick to strive for.

I used to argue this with people, it'd be ridiculous going into a game like Mario and demanding MMORPG features, yet for some reason it's perfectly acceptable to go into a genre which was defined by it's hardcore and social nature and to demand that it become more singleplayer and console focused, and since that "casualization" has started, we've got a measurable decline in a game that topped at 12-13 million active subscribers that now has dropped so low that they wont even report the numbers now.  The casual mindset states that this is where the money was at, but the empirical data says otherwise.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: April 16, 2016, 11:03:55 am »

Correlation is not causation...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: April 16, 2016, 11:08:43 am »

Except that Nostalrius became as popular as it did before being shut down on the basis of difficulty and the vanilla experience

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: April 16, 2016, 11:12:36 am »

Except that Nostalrius became as popular as it did before being shut down on the basis of difficulty and the vanilla experience

I was under the impression it was only because of the vanilla experience. Blizzard released a statement revealing they weren't going to have any servers that had limited expansion content or anything like that, despite the fans, particularly the Nostalrius users, clamouring for it.

I think part of the reason WoW isn't as popular anymore is Blizzard stopped giving any shits about their fanbase.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: April 16, 2016, 11:24:52 am »

I was under the impression it was only because of the vanilla experience. Blizzard released a statement revealing they weren't going to have any servers that had limited expansion content or anything like that, despite the fans, particularly the Nostalrius users, clamouring for it.

I think part of the reason WoW isn't as popular anymore is Blizzard stopped giving any shits about their fanbase.

I do agree with that, they really don't seem too anymore honestly

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: April 16, 2016, 11:34:01 am »

This Nosalrius, it is an MMO which was shut down for being too difficult and... vanilla? #captainoblivious
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: April 16, 2016, 11:52:22 am »

This Nosalrius, it is an MMO which was shut down for being too difficult and... vanilla? #captainoblivious

it was a World of Warcraft private server which featured pre-expansion, or "vanilla" content.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: April 16, 2016, 12:21:26 pm »

That explains the shutting down, heh.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: April 16, 2016, 01:34:19 pm »

That mindset has lead to the stagnation in gaming we're seeing, as no one wants to risk innovation

what about undertale, an indie *bit retro RPG with shoot-em-up mechanics that breaks the fourth wall at every turn
what about stardew valley, a revival of the mostly dead Harvest Moon-like genre
what about miitomo, a game that is more of a social network than a game that features a reward system for interacting with your friends
what about any number of indie VR demos, including the ones that somehow make it big like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
what about the new genre of adventure games created by Telltale which have taken a dead genre that nobody thought was coming back, and brought it back in a big way

When you say "all of gaming is X" you're not just talking about what's on the shelf at Wal-Mart or on the front page of Steam
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: April 16, 2016, 01:40:42 pm »

That mindset has lead to the stagnation in gaming we're seeing, as no one wants to risk innovation

what about undertale, an indie *bit retro RPG with shoot-em-up mechanics that breaks the fourth wall at every turn
what about stardew valley, a revival of the mostly dead Harvest Moon-like genre
what about miitomo, a game that is more of a social network than a game that features a reward system for interacting with your friends
what about any number of indie VR demos, including the ones that somehow make it big like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
what about the new genre of adventure games created by Telltale which have taken a dead genre that nobody thought was coming back, and brought it back in a big way

When you say "all of gaming is X" you're not just talking about what's on the shelf at Wal-Mart or on the front page of Steam

Even in the worst of times, exceptions exist.

During the death of the gaming industry, for example, PC gaming was largely unaffected.

The exception today seems to be largely kickstarters and indie games.

Also don't mention Telltale... They have abandoned their point and click origins completely now and are exclusively interactive fiction. Their least popular titles are their point and clicks while their most popular are interactive fiction games. For example "Wolf Among Us" is interactive fiction, not point and click.

So yeah point and clicks are still dead.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:05:37 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 324