Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519847 times)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3120 on: February 26, 2016, 03:29:32 pm »

Tomb Raider was uhhhhh, weird as heck in a few ways.
Didn't the devs say that they didn't really want people to identify with Lara so much as want to protect her?
Either way, I don't really think they were striving for a particularly progressive game there.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: February 26, 2016, 03:33:55 pm »

Tomb Raider was uhhhhh, weird as heck in a few ways.
Didn't the devs say that they didn't really want people to identify with Lara so much as want to protect her?
Either way, I don't really think they were striving for a particularly progressive game there.

The Devs were trying to stir controversy at first.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: February 26, 2016, 03:45:15 pm »

Maybe they thought male gamers would be incapable of that for some reason? Can't imagine why. I identified with her while playing it, and wanted to protect Sam. Protect Lara? Does not compute. You are Lara.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: February 26, 2016, 03:49:35 pm »

Do most videogamers not know how to roleplay or something?

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: February 26, 2016, 03:54:21 pm »

Here's the article where the quote I was talking about comes, fwiw.
It's kinda impressive how they went from a sexist take on Lara to a take on her that's actually even more sexist in a whole other way.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: February 26, 2016, 04:02:47 pm »

Tomb Raider the newest seems like one of those really patronizing "WOMAN over comes a challenge given by MEN but it's SUPER SPECIAL AND PROGRESSIVE because SHE is a WOMAN and a WOMAN overcoming any kind of challenge is SUPER SPECIAL" plots, which is the worst kind of "progressive" plot.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: February 26, 2016, 04:03:33 pm »

Wow, so now it is sexist to have a badass female protagonist that can look out for herself? Yeah, the outfit might be more (though barely)skimpy than some would like, but that's why games can have multiple outfits to choose from (and if you really don't want to cause a stir, use the modest ones in your ads., but as we've seen some video game companies think boobs sell...)

Boobs Sell/Half Naked Girl that Only Exists for Sales
It treats women like sexual objects and worsens gaming' reputation regarding sex/gender equality.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:11:05 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: February 26, 2016, 04:10:24 pm »

Protect Lara? Does not compute.

Well, I expect most players have a very visceral reaction to the gruesome ways she can die when you fail the quicktime events. Just look at listen to the audience reactions in Conan's Clueless Gamer. Whether avoiding that in the future constitutes a protective instinct...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: February 26, 2016, 04:39:10 pm »

Wow, so now it is sexist to have a badass female protagonist that can look out for herself

It's in presentation.

If the presentation is "Bwuhhh? A wummin wielding a firearm?! Most unorthodox! How improper! Look how cutting-edge and progressive our game is!", then it is demeaning and pandering. A more recent example that I'm more familiar with is Bombshell, where her entire personality is "I'm a woman playing a stereotypically male role, look how edgy and improper I'm being."

An actual well-done female protagonist would be one where you didn't play to the "Bwuhh? A female protagonist in an action game!?" bit, which as I've said, is pandering. Like virtually any RPG where you can create a female protagonist. They mention your gender where it's relevant and important, but otherwise it doesn't matter.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: February 26, 2016, 04:53:32 pm »

It sounds like you're saying that it's only not sexist when the writers write a role for a man and then change the role's gender afterward, rather than actually writing female roles.

I guess in this non-sexist fictional world, nobody will ever get pregnant.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: February 26, 2016, 04:59:03 pm »

Yes, that thing that is not what I said is exactly what I said. Thanks for the assist. ::)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:03:24 pm by itisnotlogical »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: February 26, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »

It sounds like you're saying that it's only not sexist when the writers write a role for a man and then change the role's gender afterward, rather than actually writing female roles.

The difference is... In one they present a woman's womanhood as a weakness that needs to be overcome.

Lara Croft in the new Tomb Raider is flawed because "She is a woman" and must overcome her "Womanliness" in order to be the greatest hero ever.

Compare to a non-sexist plot where there is never a question that a woman can be a great hero.

I like to compare Tomb Raider to the Uncharted series. Just compare how Ethan gets injured to how Lara gets injured.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: February 26, 2016, 05:09:09 pm »

I've never played uncharted.

Do they really, or are you just reading that into it? She's more capable than anyone else on that island.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: February 26, 2016, 05:12:42 pm »

I think what he's actually saying is that it how the game executes having a female protagonist matters. A well-executed female protagonist doesn't make you first think about the fact your playing as a fleshed out female protagonist, because the game makes that fact feel like a natural part of the world your playing as.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3134 on: February 26, 2016, 05:36:24 pm »

Here's a peeve:

System Hegemony

To play most games requires buying into a closed system owned by a megacorp (Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft for consoles, just Microsoft for PC). If you want to avoid furnishing the suits, your gaming options are limited.
There are an outrageous amount of independent titles on the market right now, more than you could ever hope to play, and they're good about as often as big budget titles tend to be.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 324