Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519862 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3090 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:39 pm »

I know that most people don't know this, but the Force Unleashed like any pre-Episode 7 games belong to a subclass of "canonicity" that only needs to acknowledged between other members of that same subclass (also known as the Expanded Universe or whatever name it has now... legends or whatevs). This has been a thing as early as 1978.

It was specifically STATED by George Lucas to be in the same sphere of canon as the original movies.

Which was a lie

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: February 25, 2016, 02:11:37 pm »

True Star Wars canon starts at the beginning of New Hope, and ends at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

Everything else was just a carbonite freezing induced fantasy by Han Solo.  There is actually no such thing as Ewoks, Jar Jar, or baby Darth Vader racing in the real Star Wars universe.  Somehow, Timothy Zahn's books are still canon (Yes, even where that conflicts with what I just said), but nothing else from the EU, prequels, ROTJ, or disney.

Oh, also, obviously the Atari game is canon.  All of them. Even E.T.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: February 25, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »

Only the original trilogy is canon. Exept for the parts where they use the force. Magic isn't real.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: February 25, 2016, 02:22:57 pm »

STATED by George Lucas

Oh, found the problem. Lucas is a total wackjob and he can't even keep the stuff he wrote straight.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: February 25, 2016, 04:04:42 pm »

STATED by George Lucas

Oh, found the problem. Lucas is a total wackjob and he can't even keep the stuff he wrote straight.

I'm trying to find a quote but have had no luck. Link?

(He also kinda sold the rights to those types of decisions, so there's also that I suppose)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: February 25, 2016, 06:28:04 pm »

Lucas being an awful writer isn't exactly something you need to cite. He just... Is. The original trilogy was only as good as it was because he had people keeping him from being an idiot.

He got free reign for the first time at the series at the prequels, look how that turned out.

Game Tie Ins are never Canon... Even when they are outright stated to be canonical

I know that this is so common that there is no use being bothered by it yet it still bugs me.

Worse yet is even when developers or the original property owners STATE that the game is canonical... it rarely ever is... Examples? The Force Unleashed series AND one of the Naruto games in which both had the original creators of the property state they are canon only for them not to be.

Yet why does it bug me? Because it is not only such a waste but it is meaningless to even make it non-canon.

Naruto, lets be honest who cares. It's shonen manga. Anything not in the magazine isn't canon.

Force unleashed? As far as I know it was still in that coveted "Canon unless new source contradicts" zone until Disney threw out the extended universe in it's entirety.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: February 25, 2016, 07:27:29 pm »

Which means no more Kyle Katarn, sadly. :(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: February 25, 2016, 07:42:57 pm »

Personally, having played KOTOR, the Jedi Knight series, and the force unleashed, I think the force unleashed was like bad fan fiction. Worse than the prequel movies. Of course, my opinion may be affected by the fact that I played it in the Wii, and the interface was terribad.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: February 25, 2016, 07:53:17 pm »

Nah, bad fan fiction is a good description of force unleashed. And while we're at it KOTOR II.

The latter being mostly because, as far as I know. Obsidians head writer decided he couldn't stand the extended universe and made a plot to lash out at it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: February 25, 2016, 08:04:00 pm »

STATED by George Lucas

I'm trying to find a quote but have had no luck. Link?

(He also kinda sold the rights to those types of decisions, so there's also that I suppose)

I'm specifically thinking about the behind-the-scenes stuff from the prequels. He acts like a doofy dumbass and everyone around him seems terrified to call him on being a giant airheaded manchild. The director moreso than most, if memory serves. My favorite was "we're almost done with this set Mr. Lucas" "Oh good, I'll go finish writing the scene then!" and he's completely serious. Getting names wrong repeatedly. I don't know of a specific online collection but most of this stuff was in the Red Letter Media review if you want to look that up instead.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: February 25, 2016, 09:05:57 pm »

Naruto, lets be honest who cares. It's shonen manga. Anything not in the magazine isn't canon.

Force unleashed? As far as I know it was still in that coveted "Canon unless new source contradicts" zone until Disney threw out the extended universe in it's entirety.

They were just two examples of someone outright stating "What you see here is canon, so yes this videogame story matters now". Essentially lying right to our faces.

I'd have put it as an example even if it was a Family Guy videogame.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: February 25, 2016, 10:51:17 pm »

Some brief Googling did suggest that Lucas declared the Force Unleashed full canon (which doesn't seem to be the case post-Disney) though I didn't find a solid quote.

He even apparently offered two potential Sith names for Starkiller...  "Insanius" or "Icky".
Yeah the guy's a whackjob.

I think that's more about Lucas than about tie-in games in general, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: February 26, 2016, 07:30:50 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:28:38 pm by Toady One »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: February 26, 2016, 07:56:57 am »

Some brief Googling did suggest that Lucas declared the Force Unleashed full canon (which doesn't seem to be the case post-Disney) though I didn't find a solid quote.

He even apparently offered two potential Sith names for Starkiller...  "Insanius" or "Icky".
Yeah the guy's a whackjob.

I think that's more about Lucas than about tie-in games in general, though.
Icky

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: February 26, 2016, 08:00:51 am »

all this talk of Star Wars actually lead me to another peeve which is...

Token Female Character

you know, the one which was made specifically as a bullet point on a sales list, and could be replaced by any gender/genderless/creature/item because being female is just a skin over a non otherwise characterized plot device.

haven't got any good counterexample in mind, but you can look at Fantaghirò feature film to have an idea of a hero which still is a hero in the fantasy defined sense but couldn't be replaced by a male figure in any capacity
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 324