Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517566 times)

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2895 on: January 30, 2016, 10:09:53 pm »

It's not about the money, it's about sending a message.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: January 30, 2016, 10:11:41 pm »

The AI completely failing to understand the concept of "Teaching him a lesson" in strategy games.

If this punk of a nation/faction/space empire decides to have a go at you, the AI should understand that killing his troops just won't get the message across, so you take a few of his castles or planets or such to send a clear message of "Don't declare war on me again or I will take more of these again".

Except despite how clear the message is, everyone watching decides you're an evil scumbag and the other guy is a poor victim even though he declared war first, yeah I'd understand everyone giving you weird looks if you take half the guy's empire in retribution but no one should bat an eye at you taking a few spots.

On the same vein as that...

When you break another faction's nose and then chew it off, they should accept an offer of peace when they get it for the good of the nation instead of spitting in your eye and fighting for their grudge, forcing you to exterminate the bloke and get in a fight with someone else.

These two things are incredibly irritating in strategy games and currently I'm getting a lot of the latter then the former at the moment.
This somewhat reminds me of my current EU III game as (a fully restored-ish) Byzantium.

Castile has three greek provinces and a claim on another and is stubbornly throwing thousands of troops at me. But only ever 8-1000 troops at a time when I have about 30. And they still won't give an inch.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: January 31, 2016, 11:56:40 am »

Same...
This is even worse when your ALLY won't help you anymore because of your "horrible actions", that is... saving his ass by destroying the guy that was killing him. You saved him, he is fine, but you captured some enemy territories while doing so, therefore... that's it. Evil.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: January 31, 2016, 12:06:51 pm »

I think this is the same kind of problem in Total War. The A.I. is willing to be your ally but because of the players aggressive expansion from conquering neighbouring enemies, raising armies to defend yourself the negatives strongly outweigh the positives.

The player wants to expand and conquer, but the A.I. all see this as really aggressive and feel threatened, usually rightly so. The negatives still outweigh the positives if you take all but one province from an enemy and try and get them to be a vassal, causing the "going down fighting to the bitter end" dealy.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: January 31, 2016, 12:13:09 pm »

Same...
This is even worse when your ALLY won't help you anymore because of your "horrible actions", that is... saving his ass by destroying the guy that was killing him. You saved him, he is fine, but you captured some enemy territories while doing so, therefore... that's it. Evil.
1. "This person A has blobbed up on my borders."
2. "This person A is now invading me to blob even more."
3. "This person B is saving me from Person A."
4. "This person B who saved me is now blobbing up on my borders."
5. "..."

I think that's the logic as far as it usually goes.  Unfortunately, for the EU3 mention by the next person after you, it does tend to have issues with, say, regions where you can't just release a protective string of countries to break down a larger country without issue (*cough* France).  I think that dealing with relationship penalties for Bad Boy/Aggressive Expansion is one of the things EU4 did improve on, though it does have its own issues.  It's definitely loads better than Total War, though admittedly that's saying next to nothing.  Really, it's just a bit lazy to use a single global relationship multiplier, and while I don't mind disincentivizing conquest (due to being a builder myself), I can understand where problems would arise for more martially-inclined folks. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:15:31 pm by Culise »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: January 31, 2016, 10:26:36 pm »

Related to the above:

Artsy indie pixel garbage

At least it's better than games where the cutting-edge graphics are their only selling point so if you buy them more than half a year after they first came out the graphics are outdated and you get really disappointed and wonder why the fuck everyone keeps raving about them and/or pestering valve to make a sequel
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: January 31, 2016, 10:28:06 pm »

Which game is that, Bohandas?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: February 01, 2016, 02:43:20 am »

At least it's better than games where the cutting-edge graphics are their only selling point so if you buy them more than half a year after they first came out the graphics are outdated and you get really disappointed and wonder why the fuck everyone keeps raving about them and/or pestering valve to make a sequel
laughingsalad.tiff
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: February 04, 2016, 02:31:07 am »

Some games using graphics as a crutch have aged better than others though. The first time I played Wolfenstein 3d, about a year ago, I got bored with it in about an hour. The first time I played Half-Life 2 on the other hand, about 2-4 years ago, bored and disappointed me from the very beginning to the very end.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: February 04, 2016, 08:09:21 am »

That's around the same time as I played it, and that game is a fucking masterpiece of visual and game design, so you must just be weird. :P

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: February 04, 2016, 09:14:29 am »

Wolfenstein 3D is difficult to play now. Turning is slow so aiming is difficult. Playing it on GZDoom or similar is easier but kind of takes the challenge away with the low enemy count.

Wolfenstein 3D has a number of interesting mechanics to it though. Like Doom, enemies have to be alerted to your presence by either you shooting or moving into their line of sight. Also, enemies do more damage the closer they are to you and whether you are facing them or not. This also applies to your weapons as you may notice sometimes it takes 1 or 2 shots to kill the basic soldiers.

The game shouldn't really be played as fast as Doom. Rather, rooms should be more carefully entered and enemies dispatched while trying to conserve health. If your health is below 10% or 5% (I forget which) you can collect pools of blood to regain a small amount of health. The enemies shout when they're first alerted but the game later introduces mutants that make no noise so they can sneak up on you.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: February 04, 2016, 09:21:04 am »

Some games using graphics as a crutch have aged better than others though. The first time I played Wolfenstein 3d, about a year ago, I got bored with it in about an hour. The first time I played Half-Life 2 on the other hand, about 2-4 years ago, bored and disappointed me from the very beginning to the very end.

The idea that half life 2 is a game that uses graphics as a crutch baffles me.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: February 04, 2016, 10:50:56 am »

gigglingasianman.webm
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: February 04, 2016, 11:11:09 am »

Bizarre key mapping

Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown again on the PC, after having finished it on the PS3 a few years ago. This was my third mission, after one awful and one really good one. Shot down UFO in the Nigerian forest, because it's always a forest.

My Assault wasn't in cover after being attacked at the end of the Alien's turn, and another alien was on overwatch so I couldn't move without him getting shot at. I wanted my Heavy to fire a rocket at the offending alien (inside the UFO) but my dude was on a higher z-level. I couldn't figure out how to change which z-level was displayed so I decided to press buttons. Logically "PgDn" seemed a good place to start so I did. Nothing happened. Then I press "End", which ends my turn without having done anything.

Cue my assault being caned and then a rookie getting killed in the ensuring alien turn.

Why is the End key end turn!? Why is the PgDn key not for changing the z-level that gets shown!?

Particularly egregious when you consider that it's a bloody Firaxis game, of Civilization fame. The Enter key on the far side of the keyboard, away from where you might accidentally touch it, ends the turn in those games!

I did look in the key mapping thing later (I know I should've done that in the first place, but it's obviously the game's fault anyway) to find you can do it by scrolling the mouse-wheel, which I'm unsure about as good "key"mapping... mostly because I was expecting it to be zoom in/out. Like a sensible game.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: February 04, 2016, 12:10:16 pm »

Yeah, as much as I love XCOM, that is a major problem.
Also, the same happens with soldier commands. You use numbers as shortcut, but those change constantly according to skills ad equipment.

I once pressed a button thinking "Let's put this guy on Overwatch", but since he had different skills, that number was asssigned to "Throw grenade"...
He died instantly (a rookie at the beginning of the game) and set fire to the car he was hiding behind. End turn, the car blows up and kills his friend.

I didn't pay close attention to it in the videos I watched, but I think XCOM2 still has that problem, right?
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 324