Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517718 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2145 on: July 27, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »

The <> means either. He's saying "Do all these/then all these/then these."

It's not strictly linear, but it's Pre Hard Mode -> WoF -> Early hard mode -> Late hard mode.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: July 27, 2015, 05:37:03 pm »

Side Arm of Uselessness

I remember watching a soldier talking about No-scoping with a sniper rifle and how only a fantastic circumstance would it ever be advisable for a sniper to attempt it instead of just fishing out his side arm.

To admit part of the reason why it is so viable in games is because weapon weight is meaningless

But the other is that sidearms like pistols, outside maybe magnums, are just so weak.

Now in classical shooters like doom, it makes sense because the game is about a progression of weaponry.

Yet in Spunkwaggleweewees they still make pistols pretty lousy in spite being military shooters... as if they were classic shooters.

I will ALWAYS praise this one game because the pistol remains useful from the start to the end of the game (But then again the way it handled weapon progression was genius and I think it should be held as the example of how to do it. Pistols start off ok because of their rapid shot and good accuracy.. but at the end of the game they are valued because they are armor piercing and can thus headshot through helmets)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: July 27, 2015, 05:43:25 pm »

Couldn't other guns also be armor piercing?
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: July 27, 2015, 05:49:26 pm »

Couldn't other guns also be armor piercing?

The game was actually quite intelligent in that armor was actually the development that changed the way the game was played.

But Armor Piercing in this case refers to being able to pierce some really thick armor. Only the Sniper and the Pistol had that ability.

Yet none of the early weapons became outdated. Sure the later weapons were better, but the game made it so they were all perfectly usable and viable.

The Rifle had Grenades, the Shotgun was still a monster up close (and you had ways to pull that off), The pistol could pierce helmets.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:23 pm »

Side Arm of Uselessness

I remember watching a soldier talking about No-scoping with a sniper rifle and how only a fantastic circumstance would it ever be advisable for a sniper to attempt it instead of just fishing out his side arm.

To admit part of the reason why it is so viable in games is because weapon weight is meaningless

But the other is that sidearms like pistols, outside maybe magnums, are just so weak.

Now in classical shooters like doom, it makes sense because the game is about a progression of weaponry.

Yet in Spunkwaggleweewees they still make pistols pretty lousy in spite being military shooters... as if they were classic shooters.

I will ALWAYS praise this one game because the pistol remains useful from the start to the end of the game (But then again the way it handled weapon progression was genius and I think it should be held as the example of how to do it. Pistols start off ok because of their rapid shot and good accuracy.. but at the end of the game they are valued because they are armor piercing and can thus headshot through helmets)

*Spunkgargleweewee

Waggling the spunk would just be ridiculous.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: July 27, 2015, 05:54:47 pm »

Are you going to... share what this game is? It feels like you're baiting someone to ask but I have no idea why.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: July 27, 2015, 06:04:31 pm »

Are you going to... share what this game is? It feels like you're baiting someone to ask but I have no idea why.

I always forget its name...

Time Shift

not a great game by any means but it should still be praised for its weapon balancing.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: July 27, 2015, 06:10:40 pm »

I *loved* Time Shift!  I never noticed that about the weapons though, I was too distracted by the totally sweet TIME MANIPULATION :D
An FPS where you could reverse time, how cool is that?  Or slowmo/pause of course.  It ran out quickly but recharged itself, so I never felt bad about using it.  I've actually got the CD somewhere, but I think it's all scratched...  I may have saved an iso though.
Hm I feel like I'm off topic.  Uhh...

Physical media failure.  Totally sucks, amirite?  Major gaming pet peeve.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: July 27, 2015, 06:12:06 pm »

Hey, games that get it right are pretty on topic.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: July 27, 2015, 06:31:46 pm »

I can't see how a pistol could pierce what an assault rifle could not, unless the pistol was either huge like a magnum or AP and the rile was HP. @_@
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: July 27, 2015, 06:44:48 pm »

I can't see how a pistol could pierce what an assault rifle could not, unless the pistol was either huge like a magnum or AP and the rile was HP. @_@

In the game I was referring to the pistol shot huge spikes.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: July 27, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »

That makes a lot more sense, then. Since you were talking about spunkgargleweewee I thought they were modern-equivalent weapons.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: July 28, 2015, 12:45:23 pm »

Ok here is a rare one

Hidden by Unreveal

So you see a picture of the killer on the window and then suddenly someone walks in who is the killer but he is wearing glasses. Well OBVIOUSLY that is the killer right? But... hmmm... no one seems to be making that connecting. It must just be a case of rather limited character design because otherwise this is incredibly obvious.

Wait? So... he was the killer?

Basically Hidden by Unreveal is whenever a twist or conclusion becomes hidden from the player simply because it is so obvious that the characters in the story not coming to the conclusion is basically nonsense and forces the player to conclude that it must be something else.

For example in Sigma Harmonics Spoilers!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: July 28, 2015, 01:20:52 pm »

Maybe Clark Kent isn't actually Superman at all??
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: July 31, 2015, 03:39:14 am »

One thing that's deeply bugged me about Mass Effect so far is that it's impossible to back out of situations, even perfectly back-out-of-able ones. Like romancing Kaidan. I said once that "I'll think about it", and he's latched on to me like a lost duckling. After the first conversation, my options concerning Kaidan have been "Yes", "Yeah", "Sure" and "Okay".
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 324