Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517765 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2115 on: July 18, 2015, 01:16:54 pm »

Re: Prequel stuff

That was the second biggest failing of STALKER: Clear Sky to me. You know what's going to happen. Then it happens. Then the game ends. There's no new insights or surprises here, just playing out a foregone conclusion.

Also the rest of the game was mired in that faction warfare shit that was utterly pointless. Taking over a faction stronghold just started a script that made the "destroyed" faction retake all their territory in a few days, and re-establish the stalemate. Not gamey or anything at all. Really...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 18, 2015, 09:00:37 pm »

If chaos meant evil then chaotic evil wouldn't be an alignment in D&D. QED.
Two meaning in one word.
Mr. Extremely Mad
This isn't the game's fault, it's the players. Simply put, players that got in a unstoppable rage. Symtoms: Chat screaming, Spawnkilling ONE person and probably will always to kill that one person when possible.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 22, 2015, 02:37:16 am »

On games with open-ended progression, getting forced into a certain set of progression.

Sure, you could get item x or item y, or even skip to item z, but once on a certain threshold, you have to follow an order

I'm looking at you, Terraria.

King Slime <> Skeletron <> Eye of Cthulhu <> Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu <> Queen Bee <> Wall of Flesh > Mechanical Bosses > Plantera > Golem > etc.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 22, 2015, 02:56:47 am »

On games with open-ended progression, getting forced into a certain set of progression.

Worse than that are games with open ended progression that replace said progression with an uber weapon at the end of the game.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 22, 2015, 03:26:37 am »

Even worse than that are games with open-ended progression where you end up with enough skill points by the end to max out everything anyway, rendering the whole thing pointless.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 22, 2015, 03:36:13 am »

It doesn't bother you when you have to start over and play through everything again, just to try out new skills, repeatedly, because there's a skill cap and no way to reset or reallocate them?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 22, 2015, 04:07:12 am »

If it results in a genuinely different gameplay experience (like say going for a wizard instead of a rogue) then it is not that bad and adds to the replayability of the game.
Which segues me nicely into this one:

Different progression paths that feel entirely the same

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 22, 2015, 04:09:28 am »

Yeah... I hate games that you have to invest like 30 hours into (or god forbid, more than that), and then... Soz brah, you can't do everything/check out everything, better start over again.

But on the other end of the spectrum, it's true that games like Skyrim where you eventually become god-at-everything (not a typo) also can irritate me.

Lessened somewhat by NG+, still a pain, and it doesn't matter in games like Dark Messiah that are relatively short and don't have all that complex of a progression system.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 22, 2015, 04:18:09 am »

It doesn't bother you when you have to start over and play through everything again, just to try out new skills, repeatedly, because there's a skill cap and no way to reset or reallocate them?

Not really, if the potential builds are different enough to matter gameplay-wise. I usually replay games pretty heavily anyways.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 22, 2015, 06:09:07 am »

I think RPGs should have scope for developing your character in novel directions as you play (e.g. you decide halfway that having some points in lockpick would be handy), but I prefer it that your choices should be permanent (reallocation or being able to easily max out everything are both kind of boring solutions) and I don't even replay that much.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2125 on: July 22, 2015, 09:03:27 pm »

I hate RPGs where I can't max out all my stats. And I hate it when it's too easy, too.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 22, 2015, 11:43:53 pm »

I hate it when RPG games lock you into decisions as you "level". If the game doesn't allow maxing all stats, it should at least let you retrain gradually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2127 on: July 23, 2015, 12:05:38 am »

I hate it when RPG games lock you into decisions as you "level". If the game doesn't allow maxing all stats, it should at least let you retrain gradually.
Yeah. Don't make it impossible to learn skills by locking them behind classes or level caps, just make them harder to learn. And I prefer practicing, training, and studying a skill in order to improve it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 23, 2015, 12:20:27 am »

Yeah. Don't make it impossible to learn skills by locking them behind classes or level caps, just make them harder to learn. And I prefer practicing, training, and studying a skill in order to improve it.

I was about to sort of defend this concept...

But then I was like "Wait, justified or not... doesn't it bug you a lot too?" and then I was like "Fair enough me"

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:17 am »

definitely agree with notquitethere

choices in character development should be permanent and have real gameplay consequences like locking you out of taking certain paths

otherwise the choices have no meaning :D
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 324