Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517876 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2055 on: July 11, 2015, 09:34:40 pm »

Yeah, it looks like they tried to make each weapon of the same rank a side-step, i.e. a Tsunami IV versus an Avenger IV, but it kinda fails because there's always one that has the best stats in every category.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: July 12, 2015, 04:59:14 am »

I don't like games that feature "nuclear" devices with blast radiuses smaller than that of the average grenade (ie. Fallout: Lonesome Road, Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando, etc.). The only game I've seen that avoids this is Postal 2 where the tactical nuke launcher takes out about a third of an average sized map
I'd hate to break this to you, but...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: July 12, 2015, 05:15:14 am »

Mind you the explosive yield of nukes aren't as impressive as people think. It is the fallout that is far FAR more effective.

To put it in perspective... The nukes in WW2 didn't actually destroy either city physically with their detonation... it couldn't if they tried.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: July 12, 2015, 06:04:49 am »

There's also the short (1-1.5 km) radius where you get hit by neutrons, so there's that

but yeah nukes are kind of overexaggerated in their destructive ability; even biggest practically usable nukes can't destroy a really big city like Moscow alone; you'd need 7-8 of them.
._.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: July 12, 2015, 08:20:03 am »

Levels or sections that serve no purpose and provide no gameplay but to link cutscenes. If I have to walk to the end of a hall and press a button in between cutscenes just make it two cutscenes that I can skip. 

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: July 12, 2015, 08:20:56 am »

I don't like games where you have to make a lot of inventory management decisions. If I wanted to do that I'd clean my bedroom.
:( games where you can't micromanage your huge inventory
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 12, 2015, 09:16:00 am »

Levels or sections that serve no purpose and provide no gameplay but to link cutscenes. If I have to walk to the end of a hall and press a button in between cutscenes just make it two cutscenes that I can skip.
Sometimes this is just a sneaky way to load/unload assets.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 12, 2015, 09:28:59 am »

I don't like games that feature "nuclear" devices with blast radiuses smaller than that of the average grenade (ie. Fallout: Lonesome Road, Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando, etc.). The only game I've seen that avoids this is Postal 2 where the tactical nuke launcher takes out about a third of an average sized map

The Davy Crockett is analogous to the tactical nuke from Postal 2 which takes out about a block, the Fat Man gun from Fallout only takes out an area comparable to a small building and the mini-nuke from Ratchet & Clank 2 only takes out an area the size of a small room. The worst offender however is the "Lonesome Road" add-on to Fallout: New Vegas, which has small building-sized explosions from what are clearly stretegic nuclear warheads
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 12, 2015, 09:38:25 am »

The Davy Crockett is analogous to the tactical nuke from Postal 2 which takes out about a block, the Fat Man gun from Fallout only takes out an area comparable to a small building and the mini-nuke from Ratchet & Clank 2 only takes out an area the size of a small room. The worst offender however is the "Lonesome Road" add-on to Fallout: New Vegas, which has small building-sized explosions from what are clearly stretegic nuclear warheads
Yeah, sod that game with its unrealistic portrayal of distance, population, laser phyiscs, robotics, plasma phyiscs, radiation, evolution, mutations, life support systems, spoilage of food, computing power, power armor, weapon manufacturing and space travel.

Fallout is a horrible example of realistic nuclear weaponry (and pretty much everything scientific) and it revels in that fact. It's basically just 1950s pulp sci-fi levels of science (everything is better with nukes, right?).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 12, 2015, 10:53:37 am »

Yeah it's specifically an alternate universe where radiation and atoms work differently.  That's the "point of divergence" which led to all the pocket-size nuclear technology, and everything else.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 12, 2015, 07:08:12 pm »

Mind you the explosive yield of nukes aren't as impressive as people think. It is the fallout that is far FAR more effective.

To put it in perspective... The nukes in WW2 didn't actually destroy either city physically with their detonation... it couldn't if they tried.

Okay, Neo, not trying to call you out, but I don't think you actually understand how nuclear fission weapons work:

The bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were fairly low-yield by today's standards, outputting only fifty (50) kilotons of destructive force combined (and were designed for airburst-detonation to minimize fallout and destructive force.)

Just for reference, 50 kilotons equals a 100,000,000 pound bomb made with conventional explosives (specifically measured in tons/kilotons/megatons/gigatons/etc. of TNT.)

These weapons are by today's standards about equal to the warhead used by a naval anti-ship Tactical nuclear torpedo.

A modern Strategic weapon ranges between 50 MEGATONS and 250 MEGATONS, and even from an airburst would flatten areas of up to fifty miles in diameter (that is reduce them to shallow craters lined with obsidian due to the insane temperatures and blast force.)

Source: U.S. Army NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) training.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:10:12 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 12, 2015, 07:22:18 pm »

Okay, Neo, not trying to call you out, but I don't think you actually understand how nuclear fission weapons work:

The bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were fairly low-yield by today's standards, outputting only fifty (50) kilotons of destructive force combined (and were designed for airburst-detonation to minimize fallout and destructive force.)

Just for reference, 50 kilotons equals a 100,000,000 pound bomb made with conventional explosives (specifically measured in tons/kilotons/megatons/gigatons/etc. of TNT.)

These weapons are by today's standards about equal to the warhead used by a naval anti-ship Tactical nuclear torpedo.

A modern Strategic weapon ranges between 50 MEGATONS and 250 MEGATONS, and even from an airburst would flatten areas of up to fifty miles in diameter (that is reduce them to shallow craters lined with obsidian due to the insane temperatures and blast force.)

My dwarf senses are tingling.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: July 12, 2015, 08:42:20 pm »

250 MEGATONS?
Some one should check there facts.

A megaton is a lot, the total energy of all explosives used in World War Two (including the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs) is estimated to have been 3 megatons of TNT.

The Heligoland Explosion was just 3.2 kt of TNT
Fatman was 20 kilotons of TNT.
The biggest nuke ever detonated was the Tsar Bomba at 50 megatons.
Today US nuke are in the 0.3 to 340 kiloton range for the B61 and 1.2 megatonnes in the B83 bomb.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: July 12, 2015, 09:02:43 pm »

Which are Tactical weapons and do not include Strategic level ICBM delivered city killers or heavy area denial weapons.  You cannot compare a bomber-delivered weapon to an ICBM delivered weapon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:11:50 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 12, 2015, 09:18:46 pm »

Interesting link....
Quote from: for those that want info now
The Titan I could hold a W38 or W49 warhead with explosive power of 3.75 megatons
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:23:18 pm by SquatchHammer »
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 324