Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517920 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1995 on: June 11, 2015, 04:41:34 pm »

Like seriously he falls for every single trap in the game... Even when they are outright told to him... EVEN when he is outright told the way not to fall into the trap.

He is like that one superboy comic where Lex Luthor builds a cage of Kyptonite and has an arrow pointing inside it with a message like "This is a trap!" and because Superboy is kind of a superhero and they always must fall into every trap he runs right into it.

Except that comic was making a joke...

Bioshock Infinite is serious.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: June 11, 2015, 04:45:34 pm »

Wow Bioshock Infinite I never thought you could inspire me so. So in the game there are these people who dress up like a cult, have evil cult powers, and are just rather creepy and unsettling.

So they must be some sort of cult right? Some secret society or arcane wizards... NOPE! they are essentially ordinary citizens.

Basically this pet peave is when a group cloaks themselves in evil trappings in spite there never being a reason to other then "it looks cool on screen".
...are you talking about the crow KKK?  Because pretty sure those guys weren't a charity group.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 11, 2015, 04:57:28 pm »

Ok now I could put games that feel excessively on rails... but honestly if a game is good enough the rails actually become more of an advantage then anything... but...

Games where you play a freeken moron and you can't do anything about it because you are on rails

HEY BIOSHOCK INFINITE!!!

Seriously you will never find a DUMBER universe or protagonist then in Bioshock infinite except on purpose. Diablo 3 the dumb plot was hilarious by Bioshock infinite it is just painful.

We are the evil congregation of charity workers!

Wow Bioshock Infinite I never thought you could inspire me so. So in the game there are these people who dress up like a cult, have evil cult powers, and are just rather creepy and unsettling.

So they must be some sort of cult right? Some secret society or arcane wizards... NOPE! they are essentially ordinary citizens.

Basically this pet peave is when a group cloaks themselves in evil trappings in spite there never being a reason to other then "it looks cool on screen".
I remember complaining about the railroadiness of Infinite a while ago. The plot only works because Booker Dewitt has incredibly poor judgement and makes every major decision with no player input.

However, I disagree with the second point. The crow people basically are an evil wizard cult, a fraternal order of elites who worship both important people and ideals of Columbian society and, IIRC, serve as some kind of inquisition against people who question those people and ideals. And from a gameplay standpoint, while they pop up obnoxiously often later on, they're still minibosses, not just regular goons.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1998 on: June 11, 2015, 05:08:04 pm »

I really disliked Bioshock Infinite. The gameplay was worse, more linear with a boring non-variety of powers and weapons, than in the older Bioshock games and the plot was paradoxical and not very compelling.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: June 11, 2015, 05:20:10 pm »

However, I disagree with the second point. The crow people basically are an evil wizard cult, a fraternal order of elites who worship both important people and ideals of Columbian society and, IIRC, serve as some kind of inquisition against people who question those people and ideals.

So then why do they keep their houses in such terrible condition? Why do they dress in body concealing clothing? Why do they act so dang evil?

They aren't a secret society or the KKK. They are a normal accepted part of society but act like they are the sons of the crypt keeper.

There is no reason for them to act so dang creepy other then "From your perspective they are the bad guys" because from their perspective and the one of the society they are from they aren't evil.

They are like what would happen if the Eagle Squad suddenly decided to act like a evil satanic cult.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:29:45 pm by Neonivek »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: June 12, 2015, 12:19:48 am »

I think the crow tonic turns people into vampire goths or something.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: June 12, 2015, 12:48:40 am »

However, I disagree with the second point. The crow people basically are an evil wizard cult, a fraternal order of elites who worship both important people and ideals of Columbian society and, IIRC, serve as some kind of inquisition against people who question those people and ideals.

So then why do they keep their houses in such terrible condition? Why do they dress in body concealing clothing? Why do they act so dang evil?

They aren't a secret society or the KKK. They are a normal accepted part of society but act like they are the sons of the crypt keeper.

There is no reason for them to act so dang creepy other then "From your perspective they are the bad guys" because from their perspective and the one of the society they are from they aren't evil.

They are like what would happen if the Eagle Squad suddenly decided to act like a evil satanic cult.

Did you miss the part where you walked in on a meeting and they were all wearing the exact same thing as the KKK outfit but black?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: June 12, 2015, 12:53:25 am »

Did you miss the part where you walked in on a meeting and they were all wearing the exact same thing as the KKK outfit but black?

You mean that haunted house with the fog, lightning, rotten food, dusty furniture, and stuff?

Just because they play up a motif it doesn't mean the motif makes sense.

I don't just accept they are the KKK because they wear brightly colored blue robes that conceal their faces. There is an actual reason why the KKK wear the clothes that they do AND the KKK do not accept doctrines that coincide with regular society.

By all means their beliefs and those of society are one and the same. They are just as someone said an "elite society" that takes things a bit too seriously.

In fact... they are basically a Historical Society that should be filled with old people and old money...

But that is Bioshock Infinite in a nutshell anyway... It would be fine if they wouldn't draw attention to their own nonsense.

"That thing keeps me in here!"
Me: "So... that thing which is TOO BIG for the building you are in... is here to keep you inside that building... is only activated if YOU try to leave as opposed to an oncoming attack or invasion... AND literally is trying to kill you"
"Yes, I know it doesn't make sense but isn't it cool?"
Me: "Ugh! what next... Firefighters that actually burn buildings instead of putting them out?"
"We are the fire fighters! We are here to burn you alive!"
Me: "I was kidding!"

Note: I am pretty sure the Firefighters are a joke and they aren't ACTUALLY fire fighters... but... given the source I wouldn't be surprised.

What is funny is that... I've seen the Crow Society before... In an Ace Ventura Cartoon... Where a society of people who worship the turkey were created because they are based on Benjamin Franklin. Except they made more sense.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:02:42 am by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: June 12, 2015, 01:11:09 am »

Me: "Ugh! what next... Firefighters that actually burn buildings instead of putting them out?"
"We are the fire fighters! We are here to burn you alive!"
Me: "I was kidding!"

Note: I am pretty sure the Firefighters are a joke and they aren't ACTUALLY fire fighters... but... given the source I wouldn't be surprised.

That's in Bioshock Infinite? I'd assume it was a reference to Fahrenheit 451. Either that or they're not intended to be seen as firemen at all.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: June 12, 2015, 01:22:21 am »

In all fairness it is difficult to tell because they are kind of... dressed like people whose job it is to put out fires.

Rather than just having an ironic name.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: June 12, 2015, 02:11:20 am »

FUCKING AUTOTARGET. I just died in Dark Souls and lost a total of 5,000 souls because autotarget decided to point me at an enemy that was minding its own business on top of a tower several yards away, while I was trying to defend myself from three sword-wielding undead that were right in front of me in the center of my view when I hit the auto-target button. Autotarget needs to be illegal.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: June 12, 2015, 02:12:26 am »

Autotarget does work, it just doesn't go after what you think it does. It automatically targets your sanity, not enemies.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: June 12, 2015, 09:30:20 am »

Can I reasonably play Dark Souls with a mouse?  I'm *really* bad with XBOX controllers.  PS2 ones I do fine so maybe I could get a tiny XBOX controller?  Or a different USB gamepad?  I'm worried my real trouble is with aiming using a joystick-nub-whatchamacallit.  I don't have the hang of nudging it slightly for fine aiming.

Not related to Dark Souls (I hope) but I have a peeve with console ports which are so bad that they tell you to press the "red button" or "yellow button" via icons.  Thinking of that stupid Pirates of the Caribbean game which was FULL of QTEs...  I don't mind QTEs, but I want the instructions to match my actual controls!  Just plaster an "E" over the red circle, flip's sake!

Also yearly reminder that it's absolute crap that Halo for PC doesn't allow co-op, online or otherwise.  Not to mention Halo 2 for PC being used to force Vista sales...  After it was shoehorned onto the ORIGINAL XBOX, yeah...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: June 12, 2015, 09:41:32 am »

Not really. The controls are extremely clunky for a mouse. However, you don't need to do much fine aiming, either. Generally, if something is far away enough for sniping it to really be an issue, it's probably out of range of pretty much any given weapon.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: June 12, 2015, 09:43:21 am »

If you don't mind fiddling with emulation you could get a PS3/4 controller hooked up instead. I imagine that used ones are going pretty cheap nowadays.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 324