Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517924 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1965 on: March 31, 2015, 04:44:09 pm »

Let's talk about how dumb depth of field and motion blur are. Stupid graphical gimmicks or stupidest graphical gimmicks?

Oh god! I hate those!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 31, 2015, 08:06:45 pm »

Depth of field annoys us all so much that I'm pretty sure we've complained about it in this thread a few times already. :P

(I know I have!)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 02, 2015, 02:21:34 am »

I'm fine with depth of field for several reasons. Firstly, unless it's overdone it isn't annoying and obvious like Motion Blur. Secondly, it's simulating something that actually occurs naturally. So is motion blur, but motion blur is already happening when you play the game (stuff naturally blurs as it moves fast.) Pretty sure depth of field won't normally occur on a 2D monitor. 
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 02, 2015, 04:41:47 am »

Let's talk about how dumb depth of field and motion blur are. Stupid graphical gimmicks or stupidest graphical gimmicks?

Depth of field is alright, motion blur is holy-hell-what-the-fuck stupid.
At least depth of field and motion blur are effects you get in real life through your eyes, though video games tend to exaggerate it to ludicrous degrees, a new effect games are using is chromatic aberration, which causes artifacts like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's caused by light going through a lens and getting distorted, but in first person games where you're ostensibly looking out your character's eyes it makes no sense to have it.

You can get that if you wear glasses. I've had those blue/orange 'halos' in the past after getting stronger ones. They seem to go away after a while, but that might just be that the brain gets used to them and filters them out.
Yeah, I have some pretty strong glasses and that effect appears at basically that magnitude for me every day :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 20, 2015, 10:36:36 am »

I'm fine with depth of field for several reasons. Firstly, unless it's overdone it isn't annoying and obvious like Motion Blur. Secondly, it's simulating something that actually occurs naturally. So is motion blur, but motion blur is already happening when you play the game (stuff naturally blurs as it moves fast.) Pretty sure depth of field won't normally occur on a 2D monitor.

except you can turn your eyes while not changing your movement direction, things you can't do in most games, while depth of field is stuck dead center on your screen, and in many games that is where you are going (all driving games, walking games have strafe)

and don't get me started on depth of field vs looking at small objects: you can focus really well in real life to a small object, but in a game you have to have the mouse exactly on those handful pixel to get that in focus, and that fails miserably in many situations (like leading a target for a shoot - you look ahead of it, the target is quite small and all blurry because whatever is under the cursor is on focus)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: April 21, 2015, 06:37:42 pm »

In general I dislike turning those kinds of things on to begin with, but I prefer DoF to motion blur. The kind of DoF you're talking about sounds massively overdone, though.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 21, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »

We need eye tracking in games for better DoF!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 24, 2015, 02:21:06 pm »

Improbably lazy quest design

During a quest in STO, you need to get an NPC a nerve tonic. I get that NPCs have to be lazy or incompetent, because otherwise there wouldn't be any quests and then it wouldn't be an MMO. The problem though?

She can see the bartender from where she's standing. At least put the bartender on a different floor or something, good grief!
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 24, 2015, 02:36:38 pm »

They don't want you to have to run TOO far, heh.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: April 24, 2015, 02:50:52 pm »

EDIT: Removed by user upon realizing it would cause a derail. You know what it was.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: May 04, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »

Braindead morality

I was playing Fallout 3 the other day and I have to say I hate how stupid the morality system is. The only way to be evil in this game is to be a brain dead jerkass who takes every opportunity to insult or cause harm regardless of the risks to his own safety. I want to play as a manipulative bastard or a backstabber, not a school bully.

I wish video games in general didn't have such a childish view on morality.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 04, 2015, 02:25:39 pm »

Braindead morality

I was playing Fallout 3 the other day and I have to say I hate how stupid the morality system is. The only way to be evil in this game is to be a brain dead jerkass who takes every opportunity to insult or cause harm regardless of the risks to his own safety. I want to play as a manipulative bastard or a backstabber, not a school bully.

I wish video games in general didn't have such a childish view on morality.

Yeah, I hate that too. Also, you have to go out of your way to be "evil" and most of the time it doesn't even benefit you. In most games being "good" gets you more money and perks, and it's much easier. This is because how "evil" is defined (you must blow up shit and murder to become "evil" simple bad stuff won't get you anywhere).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 04, 2015, 02:46:12 pm »

Suggestion: Play the Witcher 1.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: May 04, 2015, 03:13:05 pm »

Suggestion 2: Play Eador.

Evil choices in this game are nearly always profitable in the short term. Not only they bring you more money and magic crystals, they also move you closer to the evil side, which has some really good (effectiveness-for-cost wise) units. Good side not only has a much bigger problem actually acquiring stuff, but it also has really costly units that only start to pay off if you micromanage all your battles to ensure that your units all survive to really high levels, where they get pretty strong... but can still die in a random battle if you're not micromanaging every battle. Meanwhile the bad side continues to use his absolutely expendable 1st level bandits to act as meatshields to your heroes, who because of that can grow up much faster and start kicking ass.

In short, evil side absolutely rules in this game, mechanics-wise. The only downside to it is it that you get more random bad stuff happening to you after a while because of all the bad karma you've acquired, but who cares about that?

It's a shame that this game is incredibly slow, incredibly hard and incredibly long on top of being slow, because it has a lot of customization for a turn-based game. And by "a lot" I mean "on par with Master of Magic".
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 04, 2015, 03:24:20 pm »

Part of the reason I played Skyrim and Oblivion as a kleptomaniac thief was because it felt like a believable kind of bad guy.  My characters weren't malicious some much as they were callous and greedy.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 324