Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517903 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1950 on: March 31, 2015, 11:05:58 am »

Let's talk about how dumb depth of field and motion blur are. Stupid graphical gimmicks or stupidest graphical gimmicks?

Depth of field is alright, motion blur is holy-hell-what-the-fuck stupid.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:10 am »

Let's talk about how dumb depth of field and motion blur are. Stupid graphical gimmicks or stupidest graphical gimmicks?

This. I actually kinda like DoF, honestly, but motion blur makes me want to claw my eyes out.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: March 31, 2015, 11:21:23 am »

At least depth of field and motion blur are effects you get in real life through your eyes, though video games tend to exaggerate it to ludicrous degrees, a new effect games are using is chromatic aberration, which causes artifacts like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's caused by light going through a lens and getting distorted, but in first person games where you're ostensibly looking out your character's eyes it makes no sense to have it.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: March 31, 2015, 11:22:34 am »

They also use lens flares, which have the same issue.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 31, 2015, 11:57:19 am »

At least depth of field and motion blur are effects you get in real life through your eyes, though video games tend to exaggerate it to ludicrous degrees, a new effect games are using is chromatic aberration, which causes artifacts like this.

It's caused by light going through a lens and getting distorted, but in first person games where you're ostensibly looking out your character's eyes it makes no sense to have it.

You can get that if you wear glasses. I've had those blue/orange 'halos' in the past after getting stronger ones. They seem to go away after a while, but that might just be that the brain gets used to them and filters them out.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: March 31, 2015, 12:02:49 pm »

Depth of field is alright,
This. I actually kinda like DoF, honestly,
Really? Depth of field is completely baffling to me. I can't wrap my head around the idea of doing all this fancy modern high fidelity graphical rendering and then intentionally applying a bunch of blurring so that 50-80% of the image can't be seen. And my eyes can only focus on one part of the screen as it is, what is the point of this graphical filter that forces me to also move my character's view whenever I want to see something clearly? It makes screenshots look more like photographs, but in motion DoF usually just gives me a headache.

a new effect games are using is chromatic aberration, which causes artifacts like this.

wow, yeah that is pretty awful too

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1956 on: March 31, 2015, 12:06:03 pm »

Like any effect, it's fine if you use it in moderation and where it makes sense (RGB separation in Outlast when you're looking through your camera makes sense). Most people just don't use it where it makes sense (in your character's eyeballs in Payday 2).

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:36 pm »

I still hate free to play.
Do you mean you hate freemium, or do you really hate all (mostly or fully) free games?

Fully free games are fine.  I hate the F2P business model.  I think its inherently exploitative and is never better than a one time payment.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:27:48 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: March 31, 2015, 12:30:33 pm »

Do you mean you hate freemium, or do you really hate all (mostly or fully) free games?

Fully free games are fine.  I hate the F2P business model.  I think its inherently exploitative and is never better than a one time payment.

It has potential to be good, it's just done so horrifically bad right now.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »

I can't think of a single way to make it good, just less bad.  Even when its done arguably right like Dota 2 or Path of Exile, you are still being constantly encouraged/advertised too to waste cash on pointless things.  I'd still rather just pay up front to avoid being asked to pay for things and to ensure I've got the "complete" experience.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: March 31, 2015, 01:10:54 pm »

I can't think of a single way to make it good, just less bad.  Even when its done arguably right like Dota 2 or Path of Exile, you are still being constantly encouraged/advertised too to waste cash on pointless things.  I'd still rather just pay up front to avoid being asked to pay for things and to ensure I've got the "complete" experience.

I personally prefer the idea of paying exactly as much as I want for a game. I like Star Trek Online and might buy one or two real-money items in the future, and to me that is a much more consumer-friendly business model than "$30 a month or nothing" or "$60 for a game you might not even like". I can still earn all of those real-money items by playing long enough and exchanging one in-game currency for another, so I don't even have to spend any money to experience the entire game; it'll just take a bit longer to get the very best-of-the-best items.

Of course they are going to advertise their real-money items rather aggressively; they are still a company trying to sell a thing after all, and modern AAA video games are expensive to produce and maintain.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 31, 2015, 01:27:04 pm »

Of course they are going to advertise their real-money items rather aggressively.
Of course they are going to put grind into a game so that you can skip it for money.
Of course they are going to let you pay for an early advantage in the game.
Of course they aren't going to let you access a portion of the game without paying more.
Of course they are going to make it easy to purchase, so children and the mentally ill can purchase lots.

These are all things I don't like about F2P.  :)  I don't care about the business end, I care about what I'm playing.  F2P doesn't add a single good thing in my book.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:02 pm »

The free-to-play games I've enjoyed tend to have a reasonably priced package with permanent rewards.  So if you like the free content, which in bygone days we would call a "demo", you can unlock the rest of the game for a one time $20-$40 fee, formerly known as "purchasing the game". 

Most F2P games are actually way more generous with demo content than in the old days, though for the multiplayer ones that's understandable since the free players can be useful for keeping the player count high enough.

Microtransactions are a different issue, but I don't really mind them.  I bought fancy weapon skins for Killing Floor because I was grateful to the developers for their continued efforts.  Whereas I'd never buy a TF2 hat (mostly because I seldom play) but the sale of crate keys to impulse buyers allows Valve to offer us the game for free.

And when microtransactions give significant bonuses, there's no shame in losing to some cow who spent a lot.  And if it gets frustrating, you can walk away - everyone else probably is.  So generally games only try that stuff when they're already crappy, or if they have massive balls (like Diablo 3, which I think mostly downplayed the real-money auction thing after launch).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 31, 2015, 02:17:47 pm »

I would say "allows Valve to continue to update TF2" since a lot of us, myself included, got TF2 in the Orange Box.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:37 pm »

The main reason that devs pick F2P is because it means that they don't have to decide a price point for a game. Realistically setting a price of £200 on even a massively complex game would just be business suicide, but with F2P you can get people to "buy" your shitty watered-down tycoon game for in the hundreds, easily.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 324