Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517762 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1680 on: March 01, 2015, 10:31:43 pm »

You're looking at the wrong JRPGs then, it seems. Some are admittedly very boring, but you've gotta look for the right ones. (Then again, I dunno if we mean the same thing by JRPG.)

Well do you have any take on the standing in a straight line during combats like idiots angle?

I seem to remember Chrono Trigger placing your characters at different parts of the screen during combat. I also remember the enemies moving about and having AOE attacks. It's been a while since I have played it though.

If we are defining JRPG more by theme/story/characters than gameplay then there are a whole bunch more.

Final Fantasy Tactics games (turn based grid strategy games).
Mystery Dungeon games (Effectively "JRPG's with roguelike gameplay")
Probably others I don't know about or remember at the moment.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: March 01, 2015, 11:04:43 pm »

I seem to remember Chrono Trigger placing your characters at different parts of the screen during combat. I also remember the enemies moving about and having AOE attacks. It's been a while since I have played it though.

If we are defining JRPG more by theme/story/characters than gameplay then there are a whole bunch more.

Final Fantasy Tactics games (turn based grid strategy games).
Mystery Dungeon games (Effectively "JRPG's with roguelike gameplay")
Probably others I don't know about or remember at the moment.
There's also Parasite Eve. Didn't one of the Final Fantasy games have system with an emphasis on positioning?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: March 01, 2015, 11:07:42 pm »

The one with Cecil the dark knight (5, I think?) had a front-row back-row system, but maybe others did too.  It wasn't really a heavy emphasis though, you're probably talking about something after 7.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: March 02, 2015, 01:03:57 am »

Well do you have any take on the standing in a straight line during combats like idiots angle?
Yep, I do - the fact that proto-jRPGs were inspired by early cRPGs like Wizardry or Phantasie - games that utilized that, ahem "idiots angle". It`s also worth noting that Japanese designers came up with positional TB system in Dragon Princess a year before Westerners did in Ultima 3...and then perfected the whole sRPG genre in numerous releases. So there`s that.

That linear/static system is what it is, sure I will always prefer the tactical overhead one, but it`s not always bad or boring, depends on a game. In Xenosaga or Digital Devil Story it actually is as good as any non-static system out there.

The biggest problem with Baldur's Gate is that it isn't turnbased)

Very true...and it`s rare to see this insight anywhere these days. Combat in BG and other Infinity Engine titles is mostly a mess - a fact which is mostly being glossed over or just simply left unmentioned. It can be sort of fun and passable - but you can not compared it to SSI`s AD&D classics or even Fallout. It`s just not in the  same league.

For the record there were AD&D based games with action systems Hillsfar, Heroes Of The Lance - questionable quality and Eye Of The Beholder which was great.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: March 02, 2015, 01:05:09 am »

There's Grandia. You kinda move around.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: March 02, 2015, 01:13:43 am »

The thing that good JRPGs do better then Western RPGs almost EVER do is tell a personal story.

That's because (as you kind of pointed out) they go about things in a completely different way and have completely different goals

Don't sell me that swill. The age old "Ohh but they are different" thing which would work if they were completely different genres or if one had a story and the other didn't. What is this completely different goal they have? Telling a story? Emotional investment? doing a setting? Your acting like all Western RPGs are Fallout.

Most Western RPGs, the vast majority of them, have NPC companions... but they almost never matter. All they have is backstory.

While Most JRPGs have NPC companions and they usually matter.

Western RPGs have a tendency to support their NPCs through backstory... heaps and mounds of backstory and dry "story time!".

And how recent are these "Hey Western RPGs can do personal stories" example? 2000s? Now I know older ones (exactly two WRPGs).. Yet I can think of JRPGs that make a believable and explorable setting in abundance.

The fact that Bioware are the kings of story telling tells you something about the state of Western RPGs.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:15:57 am by Neonivek »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:46 am »

Just because their games sell well doesn't mean they're the kings of story-telling. It just means their games are popular.

EA owns them now anyway, so the quality of the gameplay is going to plummet anyway, but they'll still sell well because... I don't know. People are stupid.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: March 02, 2015, 01:28:18 am »

Just because their games sell well doesn't mean they're the kings of story-telling. It just means their games are popular.

No I mean that is their title.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 02, 2015, 01:33:19 am »

No I mean that is their title.

Seriously? Like... seriously?

I dropped ME1, 2, Neverwinter Nights and Jade Empire halfway through because they weren't keeping my interest. I have since finished all but Neverwinter Nights.

The only reason I didn't do the same with KOTOR1 and 2 is because I'm a massive Star Wars fan.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: March 02, 2015, 01:40:26 am »

Jade Empire is probably the best idea for a game that is killed by its own gameplay.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: March 02, 2015, 01:49:01 am »

I don't get the jRPG character praise. Like... they're still blatant anime characters. They're still pretty banal and usually stupid. And they still use anime-talk, which no sentient being uses. How do you relate to these anime people with their anime problems?

"Yeah! I just muredered a hundred people! Go me!... But what's really on my mind is telling Satsuke my true feelings... ... ..."

They're basically Bioware characters, except they're being forgiven some really horrendous idiocy seemingly only because they're anime.

And like, do you really want a linear RPG just so that the developers can shove the characters they wrote in your face? There's adventure games for that, and those don't get their consistency ruined by having the characters murder people by the dozens and then act all cheerful.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: March 02, 2015, 01:50:27 am »

I don't get the jRPG character praise. Like... they're still blatant anime characters.

What generation?

JRPGs weren't "blatant anime characters" for a while and had their own style separate from anime. Heck even when they borrowed anime aesthetics (Chrono Trigger) they managed to remain unique, when they weren't making their own style altogether.

Sure, TODAY every freeken JRPG wants to be anime...

Also what game did that happen in Virtz, I'd love to know.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:52:43 am by Neonivek »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 02, 2015, 01:53:03 am »

I don't get the jRPG character praise. Like... they're still blatant anime characters. They're still pretty banal and usually stupid. And they still use anime-talk, which no sentient being uses. How do you relate to these anime people with their anime problems?

"Yeah! I just muredered a hundred people! Go me!... But what's really on my mind is telling Satsuke my true feelings... ... ..."

They're basically Bioware characters, except they're being forgiven some really horrendous idiocy seemingly only because they're anime.

And like, do you really want a linear RPG just so that the developers can shove the characters they wrote in your face? There's adventure games for that, and those don't get their consistency ruined by having the characters murder people by the dozens and then act all cheerful.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 and 2 take their bow.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 02, 2015, 02:06:47 am »

"Hatejerk" is a bit of strong term. On a forum where almost literally everyone plays TES, there's plenty of criticism to go around but most people say that they like the games in the end. Saying flat out that Skyrim isn't good or that the series as a whole (even le hardcore based Morrowind) is worse than Bioware immediately following a circlejerk about why Bioware sucks seems just a bit too contrarian.

I'll respond, since I'm the one who made that specific comment:

I thought Morrowind was pretty great, it's just with Oblivion and especially with Skyrim that it feels like Bethesda phoned in the plot, and when they put in an event and make it impossible to prevent*, make NPCs (Like Ulfric) invulnerable until you've advanced through the plot and done all of the war quests and the plot finally says OK KILL HIM NOW, and so on. Like I wanted to assassinate him a month earlier but he refused to die. Or the invulnerable minor quest NPC in the capital of Skyrim, who if you recall is a criminal, but if you start killing guards he'll beat you and since you can't kill him so your only choice is to flee (or repeatedly put him down over and over, if you're tough enough that he can't hurt you seriously). Or mod the game, of course.

* For instance, the execution of the guy who let Ulfric out of jail. I tried to stop it with shouts, but they kept killing the executionee because apparently he's allergic to continued life. After a few tries I managed to take out the executioner without hitting the executionee too (he promptly fled out of sight, but not out the city exit), which aggro'd every guard in the city in the process. After I killed them for their stupidity (... and for the skill gain), I went looking and found the guy I had "saved" dead on a staircase.

I made a couple more attempts but in every one he ended up dead. I expect he had next to no HP and everyone wanted him dead.

It seems like Bethesda's first thought nowadays is "OOH WE'D BETTER STOP THE PLAYER FROM GOING OFF OUR SCRIPTED RAILS" rather than "We're already anticipating the player doing this, so why don't we acknowledge their effort and congratulate them" (you know, like when you freed slaves in Morrowind).

They make it look like you have choice, until you try to use it, and then you realize that you're really on rails as far as the built-in plots and characters go.

(I'll refrain from talking about Oblivion to save space and time.)

The thing with Bioware's games is that it felt to me like there was more agency - not necessarily that there was more choice, but that there were less possible situations where you'd try to do something that would advance the plot, but the game would shut you down. If you can't find a plot-critical enemy early there's no need to make them invulnerable, for instance.

The only similar feeling I had that I remember right now was in ME3 with Kai Leng: When he showed up the first time, and walked in and started talking at me, I would literally have drawn my gun and shot him in the face repeatedly if the game had given me the opportunity (but there was, alas, no renegade interrupt to do so).

That all said, I haven't played Bioware's games, and it's been years for some of them.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: March 02, 2015, 02:35:23 am »

Kai Leng was the worst thing that ever happened to Mass Effect. I try not to think that his character ever existed.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 324