Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517759 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1665 on: March 01, 2015, 06:56:28 pm »

I said iconic not good.

Though the lore is actually pretty interesting. Books. So many books.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 01, 2015, 06:57:04 pm »

WRPG is "western RPG." As I'd described, it derives more from D&D and tries to give you a character you create and control, rather than giving you a pre-created character. The Final Fantasy style (JRPG) of video game were labeled role playing games long before the D&D style came around, so the RPG label kind of stuck to them even though they're kind of not really RPGs. The WRPG style would've mostly gotten going with Morrowind, maybe Ultima Underworld (I don't know, I'm not really well versed in that era of gaming) and of course the Forgotten Realms games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, PS:T.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:59:19 pm by Niveras »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 01, 2015, 07:21:42 pm »

NQT's list of must-play WRPGS:

- Planescape Torment
- Morrowind
- Fallout 2
- Arcanum

Wasteland 2 does some pretty cool things too.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: March 01, 2015, 07:24:43 pm »

Wow, no Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 ? I am dissapointed.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 01, 2015, 08:19:32 pm »

Those are old classics though (discounting W2, but that's not on the list), what about some new stuff?

Honestly, there aren't any really good true 'W'RPGs that have come out fairly recently, but...
For me, these are the best off the top of my head:

- All teh Witcherz.
- Baldurs Gate II (can't recommend the first one, never played it.)
- Morrowind (but it isn't a game for everyone, certainly.)
- Divinity: Original Sin is pretty darn good. Even if I hate the 'two PCs' mechanic oh so so much (as a purely single player game mechanic. It could be super fun if you have a buddy sitting next to you making all the decisions for on of the characters. But I have no friends so bleh)
- Skyrim is a must play if ONLY to showcase why large open world =/= good.

T-t-t-that's all folks. I haven't played Inquisition yet.
Hell, even for me, only two of those are actually RECENT. All my favourite RPGs are like, JRPGS and stuff (oh my lord SMT. <3)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 01, 2015, 08:41:50 pm »

The sudden Elder Scrolls hatejerk here might be the absolute last thing I ever expected from Bay 12. I anticipate that soon people will be moaning about DF's graphics and unanimously voting Republican now that we've established that this is Bizzaro Land.

I personally can't stand the vast majority of JRPGs. They're generally very formulaic and seldom deviate from the same structure of unrelateable predefined characters on a quest to save the world while fighting enemies in turn-based Civil War lines. Western RPGs are just less identical and even in their most formulaic elements (skills, character creation, "moral choice") there's still a great deal of intra-genre variation.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 01, 2015, 08:46:52 pm »

Thanks for dismissing all the points against the Elder scrolls series with the handwave of a 'hatejerk.'

You're looking at the wrong JRPGs then, it seems. Some are admittedly very boring, but you've gotta look for the right ones. (Then again, I dunno if we mean the same thing by JRPG.)
The circle is complete.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 01, 2015, 09:01:46 pm »

Thanks for dismissing all the points against the Elder scrolls series with the handwave of a 'hatejerk.'

You're looking at the wrong JRPGs then, it seems. Some are admittedly very boring, but you've gotta look for the right ones. (Then again, I dunno if we mean the same thing by JRPG.)
"Hatejerk" is a bit of strong term. On a forum where almost literally everyone plays TES, there's plenty of criticism to go around but most people say that they like the games in the end. Saying flat out that Skyrim isn't good or that the series as a whole (even le hardcore based Morrowind) is worse than Bioware immediately following a circlejerk about why Bioware sucks seems just a bit too contrarian.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 01, 2015, 09:04:47 pm »

Oh, I thought you were responding to what I said earlier.

My own opinions are:

Morrowind - Good (not for everybody though.)
Oblivions - Meh~
Skyrim - Ehhhh~~~~ (Best of the three with mods though.)
The circle is complete.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 01, 2015, 09:30:06 pm »

WRPG is "western RPG." As I'd described, it derives more from D&D and tries to give you a character you create and control, rather than giving you a pre-created character. The Final Fantasy style (JRPG) of video game were labeled role playing games long before the D&D style came around, so the RPG label kind of stuck to them even though they're kind of not really RPGs. The WRPG style would've mostly gotten going with Morrowind, maybe Ultima Underworld (I don't know, I'm not really well versed in that era of gaming) and of course the Forgotten Realms games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, PS:T.

Also, in western RPGs characters don't stand around in a single-file line during battle.

In terms of iconic western rpgs I'd say the Elder Scrolls aeries and the Fallout series, plus the better made D&D games: Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, Temple of Elemental Evil, and the "gold box" series.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 01, 2015, 09:45:18 pm »

Its not called a "WRPG", its called an "RPG".  People are like that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 01, 2015, 10:01:44 pm »

The sudden Elder Scrolls hatejerk here might be the absolute last thing I ever expected from Bay 12. I anticipate that soon people will be moaning about DF's graphics and unanimously voting Republican now that we've established that this is Bizzaro Land.

I have noticed quite a lot of people here have various gripes with the series. Some people even outright dislike the games. I don't think the forums is as United as you think they are. Similarly, there is plenty of people who complain about DF's graphics, particularly as it makes the game difficult to approach for new players and limits it's potential player base. I am one of them, as most people I have tried to introduce the game to have had problems parsing the meaning of what is on screen.

I personally can't stand the vast majority of JRPGs. They're generally very formulaic and seldom deviate from the same structure of unrelateable predefined characters on a quest to save the world while fighting enemies in turn-based Civil War lines. Western RPGs are just less identical and even in their most formulaic elements (skills, character creation, "moral choice") there's still a great deal of intra-genre variation.

See here is an example of the difference between JRPG and WRPG characters. Here, your main focus was on what the characters are doing/can do (e.g. they are saving the world, they are fighting a civil war, they have +3 to their dodge), their actions and circumstances.

For the JRPG's I have managed to tolerate the gameplay of, these actions or goals seem more a backdrop or a background, and the colourful and over-exaggerated characters and their personalities are supposed to be in the spotlight. The only real significance of goals/actions (such as "defeating the evil thing") seems to be when it affects the characters personality and the way they interact with each other, these goals/actions are a means to an ends not an ends themselves.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 01, 2015, 10:08:46 pm »

I wanted to like Baldur's Gate but I've never been sufficiently motivated to finish a generic d&d game. Got at least half-way through Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Temple of Elemental Evil but I was never particularly invested in them. Might go back eventually.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 01, 2015, 10:09:45 pm »

Well do you have any take on the standing in a straight line during combats like idiots angle?

I wanted to like Baldur's Gate but I've never been sufficiently motivated to finish a generic d&d game. Got at least half-way through Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Temple of Elemental Evil but I was never particularly invested in them. Might go back eventually.

The biggest problem with Baldur's Gate is that it isn't turnbased, which is something almost essential in a game where you control multiple characters, especially one ostensibly based on the rules of Dungeons and Dragons (those rules have changed a lot over the years, but I'm pretty damn sure there's never been a version of Dungeons & Dragons that wasn't turn-based)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:13:11 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 01, 2015, 10:12:05 pm »

Right, and it also depends on what you mean by "JRPG", because there are Japanese RPGs that aren't like the typical Final Fantasy stuff you think of.

SMT, Tales Of series, etc.
The reason I love JRPGs is because they usually have better characters. (Usually)
I'm also a lover of anime so the common artstyles appeal to me. (I<3SMT)

@Bohandas

Depends on the game. Tales Of, SMT don't do that.
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 324