Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517796 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1635 on: February 12, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »

Does that include TF2?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 12, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »

Does that include TF2?

Yes it does.  (and happened to be my favorite game before they added that crap)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1637 on: February 12, 2015, 02:28:36 pm »

Been playing System Shock 2 recently and made me realise that it has all the mechanics of Bioshock in a setting where they actually make sense (hacking, psychic powers, cloning machines etc.).
Game mechanics integrated as storytelling devices are a thing that should be done more often.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 28, 2015, 06:48:08 pm »

Games where the enemies can do things with basic, shared mechanics that you cannot.

For example, Dragonball Z Xenoverse. Everyone can block. But as a player, you generally accept that you can't start blocking in the middle of taking damage consecutively, like being comboed or being in the center of a beam attack. The AI, however, can. By what magical property this is so, whether its exploiting microsecond gaps in timing that a human can't, or because it's just been straight programmed to, it doesn't matter because it's still bullshit. Plenty of games often let harder enemies waive some of the core mechanics in favor of a difficulty spike. Guys not reacting to attacks so they can attack through your attacks is a popular one (DBZXV also does this.) I can accept that to a degree because it forces the player to adopt different tactics than what normally works. But what, exactly, is served by letting the enemy completely break the rules only to their increased survival and therefore dragging out the fight? If an enemy can ignore an attack because "reasons" and the player did nothing wrong, you're essentially telling the player they have to do the right thing, twice, randomly, because this guy is tough.

That's not an actual challenge in my mind, that's just attrition centered around the player's ability to execute. That it also is something the player would LOVE to do but can't because "reasons" is just kind of the slap in the face that makes it truly irritating. If you're going to let guys break the rules so they can be tough, please let them break new rules or do unexpected things, rather than letting them do something I can do but they can simply do much much better. Especially when it comes to something as core to the combat experience as timed blocks and so forth. If a guy wants vomit destructive rainbows across the whole screen, fine, let them, dealing with that is part of the challenge. But just letting them cut and run when I've got them, and by extension, every fucking thing I've fought in the game so far, dead to rights is the worst kind of difficulty because you can't do anything about it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:56:04 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 28, 2015, 06:49:33 pm »

Mortal Kombat Deception did it far worse.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 28, 2015, 06:51:40 pm »

Mortal Kombat Deception did it far worse.

Thanks for reminding me, yeah, MK is another huge offender in this arena. Shao Khan, Goro, etc...anyone they felt like making tougher they just forced you to hit and run or just spam ranged attacks. There's a line where past which trimming down AI reactions times goes from welcomed to bullshit, and since we're just humans, that line is pretty thin.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:53:51 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 28, 2015, 11:33:03 pm »

Unskippable and flow breaking tutorials.
As insulting as they are annoying.

Orders of magnitude worse than unskippable tutorials however, are long unskippable sequences with no gameplay at all, as in the case of the tram sequence at the beginning of Half-Life and the carriage ride at the beginning of Skyrim.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »

Oh god yes, fuck that opening ride in Skyrim. It's not even like the previous games where you get to make last second changes, so if you want to make a new character you have to sit through that EVERY TIME.

HL can be excused slightly more because it isn't a game you'll want to play again multiple times from scratch. (At least not like Skyrim, being an RPG.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: March 01, 2015, 01:02:13 am »

HL can be excused slightly more because it isn't a game you'll want to play again multiple times from scratch. (At least not like Skyrim, being an RPG.)

>:(

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: March 01, 2015, 01:20:11 am »

You know what I mean.

Besides, with Skyrim, if you want to make a new character, you HAVE to watch the cutscene again. With HL, due to its linearity, you can just keep a save file from right after the scene finishes.
The circle is complete.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: March 01, 2015, 04:19:14 am »

You know what I mean.

Besides, with Skyrim, if you want to make a new character, you HAVE to watch the cutscene again. With HL, due to its linearity, you can just keep a save file from right after the scene finishes.

Technically with Skyrim you can install a mod to give you start-condition diversity. Unless console skyrim.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:47 am »

We're talking about base games. Otherwise I could say 'you could install a mod that does X so it isn't a flaw'.

It's a problem with TES series games, to be honest. The base games tend to be shite and you need a billion mods to make it good.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: March 01, 2015, 04:58:23 am »

The base games aren't BAAAD

They are just monotonous and eventually their monotony gets to you because they are as vast as the ocean but as deep as a puddle.

Giving credence to the whole "Linear doesn't mean bad and sandbox doesn't mean good" thing I keep saying...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:19 am »

Morrowind was good, Oblivion was meh~, and Skyrim was eh~. (Base games)
With mods, Skyrim is the best, Morrowind is the worst and Oblivion is kinda stuck in the middle.

What made Morrowind good was the sheer insanity of how powerful you could actually get (a powertrip) and the lack of bullshit leveled stuff, so you could go collect artifacts and build your own shrine to the clutter god.

In Oblivion they took away our levitation and our jump fortifying. As well as our people that vaguely resembled people.

In Skyrim they took out the Acrobatics skill and our Athletics skill.
The circle is complete.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 01, 2015, 06:41:37 am »

My favorite part of Morrowind was the storytelling. Not only did I feel like reading the books, I made it my postgame adventure to collect books relating to Almsivi and Dagoth Ur so that I could more fully understand the lore.

The religion in Morrowind felt like an actual religion rather than a made-up thing, too. It was trapped in just enough mysticism and circumstance (partly due to the books, most of which contained parables or life advice and were very rare and expensive) while having enough "realistic" overtones. I would never buy the "Imperial Cult" as a real religion, but Almsivi seems like it's based very heavily on something real.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 324