Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518014 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1395 on: January 15, 2015, 03:44:53 pm »

How upset were you at the end of the original Deus Ex? You know, with ?

Edit: Made post look terrible for Delta Foxtrot. ;D (Assuming that images on tumblr load when linked from other sites)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:50:37 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 15, 2015, 06:13:46 pm »

I'd edit that name out.

I mean yeah it's old but every day countless babies are born that haven't played the Glory That Is Deus Ex. I'd rather not spoil anything to those who want to play it but haven't played it and have so far successfully un-spoilered themselves. I know that's a very minor spoiler (almost a non-spoiler I'd argue). But still.

Can you tell I'm spoiler sensitive?  :P

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 15, 2015, 06:33:47 pm »

Can you tell I'm spoiler sensitive?  :P
Dumbledore kills Rosebud which was Eddard Stark's split personality!
There, I've just ruined most of western culture for you. :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:55:04 pm by Fniff »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 15, 2015, 06:49:06 pm »

Bruce Willis was a ghost the whole time!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 15, 2015, 06:51:50 pm »

That's why he never dies, despite the film being called Die Hard.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 15, 2015, 06:58:33 pm »

Also unbreakable.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:39 pm »

That's why he never dies, despite the film being called Die Hard.

This post is full of stars. Should have sent a poet.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:28 am »

No, I am your father.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 16, 2015, 12:49:59 am »

Well, soylent green is Sparticus.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: January 19, 2015, 04:12:17 am »

Ok here is a huge one that just flat out bugs me... like immensely... every single time I see it. It just triggers some irrational reaction.

Walking Sections

OHH GAWD speed up! why are you forcing me to move really slowly? WHY GAME!?! WHY!?! I just want to move normally stop making me walk!

No really, I've never had this happen to me in a game where I didn't just groan and think to myself "get on with it!"

Let me see... some more lesser ones.

I get ALL the ladies! Not... that I care... because I don't... ZzZzzzzz

Ohh yeah nothing turns me on more then some dude who constantly sleeps with women but looks like he barely cares about it in the slightest. Or wait... No that is pretty annoying.

Seriously developers nothing turns me off a "ladies man" character more then one I could never picture an actual woman liking.

At least when Tony Stark does it... it is because he is paying the women to sleep with him (Indirectly... but yeah that is basically what he does). So I dislike him for just not liking that character trait.

The Unstoppable killing machine! that... you can defeat in two seconds.

Goodness do some games love story and gameplay segregation. I really dislike it when an enemy is touted as a big deal but is pathetically easy game wise.

It gets especially annoying if the characters treat it as a big deal even afterwards.

If I am so strong why do you ignore my swings?

So I've been playing overlord 2 a lot... and one thing I noticed is that in spite being a powerful magical and physical being... I am pretty weak and pathetic.

Enemies take my full swings with huge weapons and then poke me for a LOT of damage (One enemy has a crossbow... but basically will just poke you with the bayonet) and are only knocked back by the final swing (though good luck hitting enemies with that before they poke you for massive damage).

Add in that you are really slow and clunky and yeah.

If I was fast and speedy it might be excusable... but I don't like the idea that even weak enemies can basically tank my blows.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:34:11 am by Neonivek »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 19, 2015, 04:35:34 am »

Ok here is a huge one that just flat out bugs me... like immensely... every single time I see it. It just triggers some irrational reaction.

Walking Sections

OHH GAWD speed up! why are you forcing me to move really slowly? WHY GAME!?! WHY!?! I just want to move normally stop making me walk!

No really, I've never had this happen to me in a game where I didn't just groan and think to myself "get on with it!"
This. They're basically unskippable cutscenes of the worst kind. You can't even wait for it to go away, cause often times you're expected to keep moving to keep the cutscene going. It's the worst fucking thing.

"Oh, you don't want control taken away from you while I exposit my fantastic story? Well, here. You can walk. What? What do you mean you want to skip it? Why would you want to skip my brilliant, original story about a small rebelion taking down a clearly evil dictatorship? There's just no pleasing some people!"

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 19, 2015, 04:36:56 am »

Might have been mentioned already, but related:

Short sprint stamina bars.
There's a lot of games that could be mentioned here, but I last encountered it in Saints Row 2: the characters have no trouble vaulting over chain fences, throwing people, or holding on to helicopter skids in flight, but can't run faster than a leisurly jog for more than five seconds.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 19, 2015, 04:48:22 am »

Ohh here is another big one!

"You must chat with me twice to continue" or "You must do this thing twice"

Honestly this is so absolutely counter intuitive to videogames it bugs me immensely.

And I don't mean when they prompt you...

I mean you talk to someone and say "Hello, nice weather we are happening" and what you need to do is chat with them again where they suddenly go "Ohh by the way, HORROR!"

"You must chat with everyone to continue... yes even the peasants"

Now in point and click adventures this is excusable because... if you don't want to talk to everyone stop playing... and just forget the genre.

I mean for RPGs or any genre.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 19, 2015, 06:29:08 am »

Walking Sections

This. They're basically unskippable cutscenes of the worst kind. You can't even wait for it to go away, cause often times you're expected to keep moving to keep the cutscene going. It's the worst fucking thing.

"Oh, you don't want control taken away from you while I exposit my fantastic story? Well, here. You can walk. What? What do you mean you want to skip it? Why would you want to skip my brilliant, original story about a small rebelion taking down a clearly evil dictatorship? There's just no pleasing some people!"

According to Extra Credits, these are usually used as an alternative to loading screens - the game has time to load in the next area while you walk and talk. It only gets really annoying IMHO when combined with poor save point placement (right before the walk-and-talk sequence) with a sufficiently difficult encounter before another save point, forcing you to repeat the walk-and-talk over and over (for me, in Gears of War I).

If executed smoothly, it can be less immersion-breaking than going to a loading screen.

Might have been mentioned already, but related:

Short sprint stamina bars.
There's a lot of games that could be mentioned here, but I last encountered it in Saints Row 2: the characters have no trouble vaulting over chain fences, throwing people, or holding on to helicopter skids in flight, but can't run faster than a leisurly jog for more than five seconds.

In SR3, you can upgrade your stamina as your respect increases (eventually you can get unlimited run-time if you want).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:44:22 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:26 am »

IMO, I would prefer loading screens. Suddenly being unable to interact with the game normally is immersion breaking, wheras loading screens are atleast firmly placed on the other side of the fourth wall, at least for me.

Blatantly obvious attempts to integrate technical aspects of the game into the game world

Couldn't think of a better name for it. I consider things like interfaces, loading etc to be a technical aspect of the game, and I don't like it when games try to merge these aspects with the game world. A good example was the interface in Dead Space (only played the first one). No idea how that was supposed to be immersive, interacting with a mouse driven GUI in the game world makes no sense to me and makes it harder for me to sustain my suspension of disbelief. In the same way that I can ignore the fact that I am using a keyboard/mouse/controller and staring at a 2d backlit LCD screen and not let those things hinder my immersion, I can ignore the 2d interface, loading screens and other technical elements as long as they are kept distinct from the game world.

Another example is the elevators in Mass Effect. Other games either just give you a loading screen (which I can ignore) or even have no obvious loading sections (e.g. by streaming).

I would be much happier with some help box telling me to push up to jump, rather than a character verbally explain to me that I have to push the up button to jump.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 324