Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518031 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1365 on: January 05, 2015, 04:35:45 am »

I hate it when options are hidden behind a play through, like in X-COM. It is really nothing but a mean to force you to play several time.
^^This. Has Civ ever done anything like that?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: January 05, 2015, 07:48:02 am »

Regarding respawn booths, I've been playing System Shock 2 recently (the game with the same mechanics as Bioshock but in a setting in which they actually make sense), and it costs in-game currency to respawn and if you don't have the money it's game over BUT you can also save conventionally at any time as well. I think the game is trying to give the player an in-character justification for trying dangerous but more exciting tactics while not allowing the booth to be used for attrition warfare.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 05, 2015, 10:34:05 am »

I hate it when options are hidden behind a play through, like in X-COM. It is really nothing but a mean to force you to play several time.

What options?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 05, 2015, 10:39:53 am »

I think the Long War ect... options don't open up until you play through the game once.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 05, 2015, 10:57:58 am »

Long War is a mod, but a bunch of options require you to finish the game at certain difficulty level.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 05, 2015, 11:19:22 am »

Diablo 3 was really bad about this.,..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 05, 2015, 11:21:17 am »

Diablo 3 was really bad about this.,..

In all fairness... the difficulty ratings were just replaying the game at higher levels and harder difficulty.

It is somewhat different.

Though it doesn't help that diablo 3 never, for example, speeds you through the story.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 14, 2015, 01:23:26 pm »

JRPGs always have a problem with enemies that prolong insignificant encounters. In Pokemon games, there are always several caves filled to the brim with zubats that can confuse your mons. Since it's unlikely that your Pokemon will be able to kill itself past level 5 or so, confusion does nothing but delay the inevitable. Seels do the same thing with Rest but it's even more maddening in that case because they can do it when you're one turn away from being done with the battle.

Wicked Masks (and a few other enemies) do this in Final Fantasy IV as well, where they have a scripted move at the beginning that does nothing but take a few extra seconds, even though you're going to win without taking a single hit anyway.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:26:30 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 14, 2015, 02:28:02 pm »

Wicked Masks (and a few other enemies) do this in Final Fantasy IV as well, where they have a scripted move at the beginning that does nothing but take a few extra seconds, even though you're going to win without taking a single hit anyway.
I would never consider playing any old JRPG without an emulator with a fast-forward function. Same with all those GBA tactical rpgs. Time-wasting Animations are a pet peeve, I guess.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: January 14, 2015, 02:32:29 pm »

You know I am just going to include this

"You need to carry around this useless team mate because they have an ability that without it doing something later will be hard"

Dang it Pokémon... I don't want to lug around pokemon for their HMs... I don't want to lug around pokemon I don't like because they have counters to others.

No Final Fantasy Tactics I do not want to raise that one class that I'll never use just to get the actual good one later. No I don't want to farm for "Hunts"...

If this game isn't about making the most out of a bad situation... why do you keep teaming me up with losers?

You know I appreciated that ONE loser who always kind of became awesome later... but games have started to seriously pile this on.

MOBA

I have never seen such a creatively bankrupt genre in my life since 90s Doom clones... and at least in that case it is because they were all using the same engine.

They are almost all the same! Evolve! Get better! Get different!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:10:42 pm by Neonivek »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: January 14, 2015, 04:05:38 pm »

MOBA

I have never seen such a creatively bankrupt genre in my life since 90s Doom clones... and at least in that case it is because they were all using the same engine.

They are almost all the same! Evolve! Get better! Get different!

I would include this entire "genre" as a peeve if I could. Rant rant rant, I generalize my hatred.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: January 14, 2015, 07:36:27 pm »

The true issues with MobAs are the communities.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: January 14, 2015, 08:04:45 pm »

I played LoL and the vast majority of players were really good sports. It wasn't uncommon for players to compliment eachother on their play. Even the teams who lost horribly were usually cheery about it.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: January 14, 2015, 08:10:02 pm »

I played LoL and the vast majority of players were really good sports. It wasn't uncommon for players to compliment eachother on their play. Even the teams who lost horribly were usually cheery about it.

Yeaaah... Not so much any more. You probably played it a few years ago. Then again, it might be server/timezone differences.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: January 14, 2015, 08:11:17 pm »

Yeaaah... Not so much any more. You probably played it a few years ago. Then again, it might be server/timezone differences.

North America. It was just a few months ago.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 324