Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518126 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1170 on: November 28, 2014, 08:17:46 pm »

Except for the DS Zeldas, or really any DS game that lets you write on the map. Writing with the stylus is a crapshoot anyways, and the screen is so tiny that it's impossible to write anything meaningful.
I ended up drawing letters near important places, and keeping a key on my laptop (e.g. Point A - Rupee grinding spot)
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 28, 2014, 08:29:44 pm »

On the subject of making notes in games, once I decided to keep a journal in Deus Ex from the point of view of JC Denton (since it's possible to make your own notes and edit notes in the game). I made it into the versalife building before the game started crashing on me on level transitions (specifically, an elevator). Since this had never happened before, I assumed it was because of the ridiculous amount of text I had typed into the notes system (all taken together, it was more text than would ever have been in the notes in a normal playthrough - it was probably just stored in a fixed-size buffer which couldn't grow).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 28, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »

On the subject of making notes in games, once I decided to keep a journal in Deus Ex from the point of view of JC Denton (since it's possible to make your own notes and edit notes in the game). I made it into the versalife building before the game started crashing on me on level transitions (specifically, an elevator). Since this had never happened before, I assumed it was because of the ridiculous amount of text I had typed into the notes system (all taken together, it was more text than would ever have been in the notes in a normal playthrough - it was probably just stored in a fixed-size buffer which couldn't grow).

I never even look at the notes or journal entries in-game. I wish the game was as heavy on investigation and detective work as the notes system would lead one to believe.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 29, 2014, 09:36:00 am »

Friends : Hey were gonna start playing this MMO. Come join us...

Me : Nah I don't really have a lot of time.

Friends : Come on...

Me : Ok fine, just don't leave me behind...

Friends : Ok...

2 Weeks later...
I forget that I know how to power through MMOs and hit high levels quickly, I cover all my things and am at the same level they are in almost a day compared to their 2.5. I am powering through everything, they are ahead in story though, they are running dungeons I am not up to yet won't come back to just join me, but I end up Soloing them anyway. They haven't logged in for 4+ days...

FFS...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 30, 2014, 10:45:00 am »

Gaming Pet Peeves

Hoo boy...

Casualization ( Total War series ), scripts ( COD ), locking away the ability to mod the game ( hello Frostbite ), locking FPS/FOV, cutting away content and features ( again Total War ), making it simplistic and simpler ( Civilization ), coolest character is unromanceable/unfuckable ( Cheetah from GTA 5 for example ), day one DLC and patches, DLC in general, review emgargos, pre-order bonuses, rehashing plots/features/collectibles ( Assasins Creed ), quantity over quality ( Skyrim and its huge completely featureless and empty world comes to mind ), immersion breaking things like NPC insulting guy with shitload of weapons ( Fallout, Skyrim ), fantastic locations with no food source, water, defense etc ( again Fallout 3 and NV comes to mind ), 4 hour games/single player in name only for a full price ( again COD or BF )... and many many more.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 30, 2014, 11:03:04 am »

Skyrim really wasn't empty and featureless.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 30, 2014, 11:22:28 am »

Games with no good single player campaign

For most of my years (which are few since I'm only a teen) I had no wifi or internet to use on my xbox. This meant a soul attachment to single player campaigns and few multilayer games with my siblings. Eventualy multiplayer became more popular than the actual single player campaign/story line and games like call of duty became tasteless and boring as I wasn't able to play the online multiplayer everyone raved about.
Fast forward to now and I have internet and can play the muliplayer online stuff but that doesn't make the want to play a story line any less. I played the battle field 4 single player campaign and it was terribly short and unfulfilling. I had it pre ordered so I got the china rising thing and guess what?!? It was an online redemption code for something that was going to come out and required me to have a season pass thingy or whatever to even use it..... I payed an extra 20 freaking bucks to buy this and you expect me to pay more to use it?!? No!!!!
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 30, 2014, 11:27:50 am »

Skyrim really wasn't empty and featureless.

I agree.  they tried hard to put little touches in the dungeons and more amounts of dialougue than I care for.  Skyrim falls more under oversimplification and casualization than empty.  It is however a grand case of quanity unto quality.  The dialogue was unfufilling, character reactions narrow and scripted, and it was more the case of the game trying to glove you into its concept than you exploring the world to find the information and making your own choice.  Morrowind vs Skyrim.  Morrowind didnt guide you and try to force you into immersion.

Skyrim is good for what it is, but I was really disappointed in it as an Elder Svrolls game
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:34:30 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 30, 2014, 01:23:33 pm »

Numbers in Role Playing Games
Okay, I get it. The game relies on numerical stats to run. That's cool, but when I find myself staring at a ton of numbers in a "Role Playing Game", how do I play my role? In real life, you don't see numbers everywhere to give you an idea of what's happening. It breaks immersion. I'd much rather say, "My warhammer is better to fight this guy in armor because it's a blunt weapon," than "My hammer is better because it has X% better armor penetration!" Technically, it's not even penetrating, it's just transferring controlled, concentrated force through the armor into my foe.
Unrealistic Health Systems
I'm not going to get shot to pieces in no body armor, crawl into a corner to hide, and walk out a minute later completely healed. In fact, I should have died from getting shot so much, or at least bled out without medical aid. Health bars oversimplify actual health, and the "bloody vignette" that is so popular nowadays is very similar. I'd like to have to actually worry if I've been shot if I'm one-shotting other people.
Poor Portrayal of Historical Fighting
Swords don't cut right through armor. Don't call a mace a hammer. Axes aren't giant behemoths that bisect people. You don't do a "shield bash," you strike them with the metal rim of the shield. People don't get bisected in combat. Knights weren't heavily armored foot-troops in large armor who aimlessly swung around longswords. You would not throw your shield out of the way to stab someone. Even DF is a bit unrealistic at times, but some games get it so wrong.
Perpetuating Stereotypes
A lot of people already look down on the gaming community, so stop. It's wrong anyway.
Perpetuating Women as Weak
In "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare," a female soldier in a robotic exosuit that gave her super strength and other things was wrestled and nearly killed by a man in regular clothes. First, if she's a female soldier, she'll have trained hard and would probably match him in a regular fight. Second, she had a super-strength exosuit, so what the hell?!
Console Against PC War
People need to shut up about this already. Technically, "gaming consoles" are just specialized computers. They are all computers!
Slowed-Time Combos and Hyping-Up of Achievements
No, "Ryse Son of Rome," it was not cool that I just threw a man on the ground, stabbed him through the heart, and bashed his head in with the rim of my shield (points for the realistic shield hit, though) as I withdrew because all I had to do was press 3 buttons at the right time and you slowed down that time. How would I have failed?
Auto-Aim
If I just lock on and press a button to throw a spear at someone or shoot someone with anything, I did not aim. The game hit them, not me. I value marksmanship, not auto-ranged kills.
Exploding Headshots
Okay, I shot them in the head. They are dead. It does not need to explode. What, you're going to slow down time so I can see it explode in blood? Seriously?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 30, 2014, 01:30:13 pm »

On exploding headshots
I wish that if they were going through all the trouble of animating an exploding head to make it half realistic
I didn't shoot you in the head with a barret .50cal no it was a Barreta pistol
There should just be a big hole in the back and a tiny one in front
Not some giant blood explosion

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 30, 2014, 01:57:20 pm »

Okay, I get it. The game relies on numerical stats to run. That's cool, but when I find myself staring at a ton of numbers in a "Role Playing Game", how do I play my role? In real life, you don't see numbers everywhere to give you an idea of what's happening. It breaks immersion. I'd much rather say, "My warhammer is better to fight this guy in armor because it's a blunt weapon," than "My hammer is better because it has X% better armor penetration!" Technically, it's not even penetrating, it's just transferring controlled, concentrated force through the armor into my foe.

Congratulations! You found the definition of Roleplay game. it isn't where you play a "Role" it is those numbers.

It was named after dungeons and dragons essentially. Prior to it they would be considered adventure games.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 30, 2014, 02:05:38 pm »

On exploding headshots
I wish that if they were going through all the trouble of animating an exploding head to make it half realistic
I didn't shoot you in the head with a barret .50cal no it was a Barreta pistol
There should just be a big hole in the back and a tiny one in front
Not some giant blood explosion
Thank you!

Even though a real sniper bullet would shear right through, they still animate those as explosions sometimes.
In fact, this brings me to:
Unnecessary Blood and Gore
Especially in games with really high graphics this bothers me. I don't want to be sick to my stomach every timeI have to kill an enemy in an action game.

Congratulations! You found the definition of Roleplay game. it isn't where you play a "Role" it is those numbers.

It was named after dungeons and dragons essentially. Prior to it they would be considered adventure games.
Oh, sorry. I meant "RP" or Role-Playing, in which you play a role, not a game based off of numbers and dice "rolls". It bothers me if it's a game in which you play a role, but those numbers break immersion.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 30, 2014, 02:11:20 pm »

You don't seem to get the point: RPGs are by definition games based on tabletop games like D&D. They're just the computerized version of those types of pen and paper games, which are stats heavy. They've tried "hidden stats" versions of those games, but those just suck because there are lots of things that can fuck you over that just aren't given to you as information, hence best-practice is just to provide you with all the information.

One example would be if you had a few different weapon choices - 2 different maces, 1 hammer. Which one do you pick? In-game your character should be able to compare weapons if he's skilled, and pick the best. That's not easy to communicated to the player, so having different numbers lets you compare options and select the best. Otherwise, you'd just be guessing, and some nerds would do intensive testing of weapons to calculate average # of swings to take down particular enemies, and publish the data anyway, which people would download as strategy guides. i.e. people would need to reverse-engineer the underlying stats to know which weapons were best. Better to just have the information in the game rather than have to download it and refer to a cheat sheet while playing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:20:12 pm by Reelya »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 30, 2014, 02:32:20 pm »

I will say in less serious games, obsessive blood and ogre is great but ones that are supposed to simulate 'the modern battlefield' you shouldn't do that crap. I also hate when those kinds of games just depict the guy getting shot, no physical signs of harm, then falling over dead. At least show a spurt of blood or them falling realistically or something.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 30, 2014, 02:40:56 pm »

Yeah, I guess you're right. I meant in games made with RP in mind. Then again, it's not too big of a deal to have that information.
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 324