Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518139 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1140 on: November 19, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »

Interestingly, a bad game can still be an entertaining product

Side note, but has anyone played Lord of the Rings: Conquest?  Mechanically awful, filled with unpatched glitches, generally poorly thought out.  Also some of the most fun I've ever had on the Xbox 360.  And I played it totally as intended.
I've played through the campaign with friends, and it was pretty hillarious every time. They gave little to no shits about canon and the result was unintentially funny. The mechanics weren't unenjoyable either, but were pretty fucked balance-wise. :P
Sounds like LotR's version of Champions of Norrath. It was an Everquest game that basically completely destroyed any semblance of canon, had ridiculously bad balancing (A warrior holding block could survive pretty much anything, but a shaman twice the warrior's level could mildly inconvenience the enemy at best), but it was surprisingly fun with a group. Played it with my mother, step-father, and older brother. The final boss, Neriak, went down painfully easily with a bit of scumming (I run up and stab him in the ass, Neriak chases me, mom fires a ton of arrows into his ass, Neriak chases her, repeat until mom ran out of arrows, at which point I'd run around while she built up mana to summon more), but the rest was enjoyable, if a bit too fond of difficulty spikes/drops.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1141 on: November 21, 2014, 06:46:12 am »

Non-linear games that include elements that only work in linear games. Super Mario World is an excellent example. What a worthless, shitty life system that game had. And the only reason it had it is because the previous games did. A finite number of lives works in a game like Super Mario Bros. because it's linear; the screen doesn't even scroll backward. The only way to recover lives is to find a 1-up, of which there is never more than one in a stage, or get 100 coins, which you will also never find in a single stage. Not only does this ensure adequate stakes to make losing a life sting, it adds a risk-reward dynamic to gameplay in the form of stowing away coins in dangerous spots.

Super Mario World, on the other hand, is not linear in the slightest. The interesting risk-reward system is replaced with endless coin buffets that make getting lives easy, and you can even revisit previous stages. It's grinding. GRINDING in a platformer! The game even gives you an automatic 1-up machine in the first level, for the single purpose of wasting your time grinding out lives. It uses the player's time as a balancing resource, which is universally unnecessary and unfun.

Endless fetch quests crammed into the last hour of the game. Metroid Prime, you were so good and then you had to screw it all up at the last second. You know what's fun about Metroid games? Getting new items. You know why it's fun to get them? Because they give you a new ability that changes the way you play the game. It's not because it's a shiny key that lets you open a door. Those Chozo artifacts were just an excuse to pad things out, and you couldn't get most of them until near the end of the game.

Also, those Chozo ghosts. Whose idea was it to take a game about exploration played from a first person perspective with good music, and insert an enemy that completely halts exploration, zips around and is hard to locate from a FPP, and plays annoying music?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:54:19 am by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 21, 2014, 06:52:40 am »

Not knowing if I am meant to defeat an enemy or not

In incredibly old games it wasn't unusual for them to present an opponent much too strong for you to defeat or where you are not really expected to defeat them.

In modern times enemies are usually meant to be incredibly easy, so if anyone is giving you any resistance you are probably not meant to defeat them at all.

But then there are games where you have no idea if what you are looking at is an incredibly difficult boss in an otherwise easy game or someone you just aren't meant to be fighting just yet. Or heck this applies to hard games too. I still don't know if that Boss in Lands of Lore, the one who creates earthquakes that make you lose your equipment, is even meant to be fought, you CAN defeat him with an exploit (that may or may not be intentional), or are you meant to lead him around in a circle and sneak by him?

Can there be clues? and I don't mean hand holding clues like MMOs where you are meant to follow a linear path of enemies of increasingly bigger numbers.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:54:14 am by Neonivek »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 21, 2014, 07:22:23 am »

@Neokivek:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do know what you mean though. I was watching someone play through Skyrim recently and telling the difference between dragon types was quite difficult. Frost dragon? No problem. Ancient Dragon? 10 minutes of punching to down.

I think "Ultima Underworld 2" did something similar. Headless near the beginning of the game, before you have strong enough weapons to deal with them. Down a few side passages but apparently something you could stumble across through exploration.

I would say though, if I came across an enemy that was too powerful, I would look for ways around or another path. Not always an option in which case I fully endorse cheesing the game to make it easier. Few A.I's can defeat the mighty table/rock pillar.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 21, 2014, 09:43:53 am »

Yeah, in Morrowind's bloodmoon expansion, I discovered that my mage character was far too squishy to stand up to combat with the fast, deadly werewolves, especially in that one part where 8 or so of them spawn directly on top of you, so I used an enchanted ring I'd made earlier (in my icarian flight research) to instantly propel me several hundred feet straight up into the air, and then I cast levitate on the way back down, so I could safely fireball (or arrow) them to death. And it was great.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:31 am »

Yeah, in Morrowind's bloodmoon expansion, I discovered that my mage character was far too squishy to stand up to combat with the fast, deadly werewolves, especially in that one part where 8 or so of them spawn directly on top of you, so I used an enchanted ring I'd made earlier (in my icarian flight research) to instantly propel me several hundred feet straight up into the air, and then I cast levitate on the way back down, so I could safely fireball (or arrow) them to death. And it was great.
'thats how I would beat that Bosmer with 1000 luck.

Morrowind was great for that.  Ring of gatling gun, ring of nuclear explosion, Slow spells, and good old fashioned constant summon Greater Bone Walker on self.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 21, 2014, 10:19:54 am »

Morrowind was so broken, it was pretty hilarious at times. I used alchemy to make a potion that made me so fast just tapping a movement key would send my flying off the map into some inescapable grey void, I had to reload a save to get out.

I personally think oblivion and skyrim were, overall, better games... but sometimes I do miss the insanity of morrowind.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 21, 2014, 10:54:23 am »

Morrowind was so broken, it was pretty hilarious at times. I used alchemy to make a potion that made me so fast just tapping a movement key would send my flying off the map into some inescapable grey void, I had to reload a save to get out.

I personally think oblivion and skyrim were, overall, better games... but sometimes I do miss the insanity of morrowind.
I think Morrowind was better than Oblivion, personally, but Skyrim was definitely better. However, it kind of has the Dwarf Fortress appeal; it's difficult, confusing, and frankly you don't really know when a big load of ‼FUN‼ is going to show up (*Cough*Cliff Racers*Cough*). Also there's something so satisfying about completely breaking the game.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 27, 2014, 05:37:56 am »

My pet peeve isn't event hat serious. I just can't stand when FPS games don't render legs!

Personally, it takes me out of it to realise I'm a disembodied camera, flying all about the place.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 27, 2014, 06:31:13 am »

Maybe I've just seen bad legs, but they usually seem so disjointed that it takes me more out than no-legs would.
But then I just might be used to playing gun-mounted cameras, so YMMV.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 27, 2014, 06:45:39 am »

Maybe I've just seen bad legs, but they usually seem so disjointed that it takes me more out than no-legs would.
But then I just might be used to playing gun-mounted cameras, so YMMV.
Halo always has good legs, Mirror's Edge too.

I just find it odd when I can look straight down at nothing and spin in a tiny circle.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 27, 2014, 06:51:15 am »

There's nothing worse than a game that requires precision platforming and doesn't let you see your feet. I'm looking at you, Peter Jackson's King Kong!

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 27, 2014, 07:08:38 am »

There's nothing worse than a game that requires precision platforming and doesn't let you see your feet. I'm looking at you, Peter Jackson's King Kong!
Exactly! Nothing worse than trying to judge from just a disembodied shadow.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 27, 2014, 07:15:25 am »

Exactly! Nothing worse than trying to judge from just a disembodied shadow.
I think that's the worst culprit, when they don't render legs but you have a round shadow instead.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 27, 2014, 09:12:10 am »

I think that's the worst culprit, when they don't render legs but you have a round shadow instead.
It is pretty off-putting.

I'm curious how you render a dynamic shadow without the model. Or is the model there, but not visible to you?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 324