Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518274 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #915 on: October 14, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »

A minor complaint.

Green lights symbolizing things that would be incredibly bad.
When you hack a turret to fire at all enemies, it goes from red to a nice friendly green. But why? Green is typically a good color, but usually being either A. surrounded by enemies or B. registering that you have been hacked is not a good situation. At least Far Cry 3's radio towers having green lights after you got rid of the jammer sort of makes sense since the red light might indicate the fact that they aren't broadcasting.

Its basically standard convention at this point, everyone understands it and doesn't really nitpick cause it just makes the game easier to pick up with familiar color coding, even if its decades old and outdated.

I read that the developers of BulletStorm tried making explosive barrels green, but players would basically ignore them and could go through every level without ever realizing it, so they switched em back the regular "its red and it explodes".

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 14, 2013, 10:58:34 pm »

Bulletstorm was amazing and your mean words have no effect on me!

But seriously, at this point it's just a convention to make accessibility easier. Gameplay should always trump realism (aside from... sims I guess). Color-coded green = good red = bad is very easy and ingrained to parse, even ignoring the link it has to real-life associations like traffic lights. Would it really add to gameplay to have to learn and adjust to a new color schema every time you switched games?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 15, 2013, 12:50:08 am »

Bulletstorm is amazing, I own it, its both awesome and hilarious.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 15, 2013, 02:46:10 am »

Bulletstorm is amazing, I own it, its both awesome and hilarious.

Anyone who hates on Bulletstorm deserves to have his dick killed. </reference>

Edit: damn you autocorrect.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 15, 2013, 04:49:27 am »

I read that the developers of BulletStorm tried making explosive barrels green, but players would basically ignore them and could go through every level without ever realizing it, so they switched em back the regular "its red and it explodes".

Strange. Weren't explosive barrels in DooM green? Or maybe there were multiple colors.

Or maybe they were just grey. Wow, I have no idea.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 15, 2013, 04:58:21 am »

Strange. Weren't explosive barrels in DooM green? Or maybe there were multiple colors.

Or maybe they were just grey. Wow, I have no idea.

They were grey/green with green goop inside them. I'd say that, while they were green, there were so few other objects you could interact with they could be picked out quickly anyway.

It's harder to pick out an object in a 3D environment, one of the reasons I dislike Unreal Tournament 3 is because the ammo and health packs on the ground don't stand out as much as they did in UT2004. I think it's the bloom/lighting or something, it makes everything blend in a bit too much.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 15, 2013, 01:22:59 pm »

That's also a problem I have with some games. In order to understand what you're looking at you need to know the kind of objects in the game and what textures they use. It's kinda disorienting to go from old-school early 3D games to something very new and detailed. At least until you get used to them.

My girlfriend had the same problem, going from basically not playing video games to me dragging her into a WASD+mouse third-person action MMO. She's still getting the hang of using an in-game map, which is weird because she has a better sense of direction than me IRL. MUCH BETTER. I need to read a map, orient myself, and then I'm good.

I guess it's just a different skill set.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 15, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »

That's also a problem I have with some games. In order to understand what you're looking at you need to know the kind of objects in the game and what textures they use. It's kinda disorienting to go from old-school early 3D games to something very new and detailed. At least until you get used to them.

My girlfriend had the same problem, going from basically not playing video games to me dragging her into a WASD+mouse third-person action MMO. She's still getting the hang of using an in-game map, which is weird because she has a better sense of direction than me IRL. MUCH BETTER. I need to read a map, orient myself, and then I'm good.

I enjoy your gif. That cat is adorable.
I'm sorry, what were we talking about? I kinda OOOO KITTY!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 15, 2013, 05:17:34 pm »

I enjoy your gif. That cat is adorable.
I'm sorry, what were we talking about? I kinda OOOO KITTY!
I agree with this so very much. I spend about 5 minutes after reading one of his posts just staring at the cat.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 15, 2013, 06:20:32 pm »

The cat is working as intended.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 15, 2013, 06:23:18 pm »

Its his master plan you see. Since everyone spends so much time looking at the cat they pay more attention to what he has to say, netting him forum seniority quicker.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 15, 2013, 07:20:39 pm »

Important voices actually coming from characters instead of playing globally

During Half-Life 2, I missed a conversation with Alyx because I fell off the platform where she was standing and didn't find my way back up until she was done speaking. I was about five feet away from her too, so I'm sure I could have heard her IRL.

On the other hand, in Return to Castle Wolfenstein there's a loud, conspicuous voice whispering "GET READY" whenever you're about to be ambushed, which kinda ruins the effect.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 15, 2013, 07:51:46 pm »

I liked how in metal gear games (at least the ones I played) Snake had a radio and important stuff came inescapably to his little ear.

It does bug me how some games determine whether you hear a sound based on where you're looking. Watching some LPs of Payday 2, you can turn your third-person-view character around and suddenly the conversation cuts out. It's just really dumb because your character's ears are in almost exactly the same place but it goes from LOUD CONVO to zero.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:15 am »

The best I've seen this is in a game I can't remember, but basically when you're close, the person talks as normal, but as you move farther away, the switch to radio and it gets the standard radio static soundeffect.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 16, 2013, 07:51:50 am »

State of Decay and Spec Ops: The Line do this, IIRC.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 324