Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518317 times)

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #855 on: October 01, 2013, 05:39:16 pm »

Elitist gamers. Elitist PC gamers are the worst, but dumbass console kiddies are nearly as bad.

"you don't game on a PC so you're casual scum" No, shut the fuck up. I DO play on PC, but I still have consoles because they have a lot of exclusive games I like. There are 10-year-old console games still being played today, like F-Zero GX, which was released ten years ago and people still compete in time trials for it. It's also considered one of the hardest games of all time, and runs in full 60 FPS with 30 unique AI opponents and an extremely complex physics engine.. So can the elitist bullshit.

Speaking of FPS, there is no excuse for any game to run less than 30 FPS. Ever. This is one of the things I hate about the current gen of consoles, everything runs at 30 or lower except for rare cases. This was one of the reasons I mostly switched to PC, if I'm gonna play a game, I might as well play it with an actually decent frame rate and with textures/resolutions that don't make my eyes bleed
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 01, 2013, 05:52:36 pm »

Sandbox/open world games that allow you to keep playing after the final mission, but reverts you right before the final mission. I want to see the reprecussions of my actions on the world! Instead you get in a kind of groundhog day trap.
Good god. I remembered LoZ: Minish Cap. I was really annoyed that I can fight Vaati over and over but not any other bosses.
Then again you can't really play after Zelda is saved since she kind of nuked out all the monsters from Hyrule.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 01, 2013, 08:30:49 pm »

Sandbox/open world games that allow you to keep playing after the final mission, but reverts you right before the final mission. I want to see the reprecussions of my actions on the world! Instead you get in a kind of groundhog day trap.
Good god. I remembered LoZ: Minish Cap. I was really annoyed that I can fight Vaati over and over but not any other bosses.
Then again you can't really play after Zelda is saved since she kind of nuked out all the monsters from Hyrule.

I had the opposite problem with Wind Waker. I wanted to go back and do all the sidequests I skipped after beating the main game, but picking my save file started a New Game+.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 01, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »

I had the opposite problem with Wind Waker. I wanted to go back and do all the sidequests I skipped after beating the main game, but picking my save file started a New Game+.
Can't you do the sidequests in New Game+?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 01, 2013, 08:40:35 pm »

-snip-

I can, but I have to find and chart all the islands, do all the sidequests I already did the first time around, and get necessary items out of the dungeons, which means beating most of the game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 01, 2013, 09:38:57 pm »

-snip-

I can, but I have to find and chart all the islands, do all the sidequests I already did the first time around, and get necessary items out of the dungeons, which means beating most of the game.

Ugh, YES. This is singularly what's kept me from ever playing through WW again. I loved the game, really, but collecting all the maps and crap again just ... no.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 02, 2013, 07:11:07 am »

-snip-

Ugh, YES. This is singularly what's kept me from ever playing through WW again. I loved the game, really, but collecting all the maps and crap again just ... no.

But... you get to do so in an entirely different outfit. Surely that's worth it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 02, 2013, 11:53:54 pm »

Games that model ropes as physical objects are starting to get on my nerves too now, with my friend introducing me to the amazingly rage-inducing (but still somehow fun) Attack on Titan fangame. Ropes that are modeled like this (the Hoth speeder's tow cable in Battlefront work the same way) behave nothing like actual ropes at all. The ropes/cables/whatever seem to have no set length, only an arbitrary distance beyond which they can't attach to things. If you're going fast enough, they'll gladly stretch to impossible lengths and snap you back like a rubber band.

And they have no physical presence either, which means your direction and velocity remain the same even if the point you're attached to moves. This results in ridiculous situations where you'll hook onto a Titan's back only for it to turn around right as you make contact, getting you stuck on its body while your hooks vainly try to pull you through solid matter.

This game pisses me off in so many ways, but I still love it and want to get good at it. ???

EDIT: Holy run-on sentences Batman!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:00:24 am by itisnotlogical »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 03, 2013, 02:09:08 am »

Eh? You mean ropes like the ones in Garry's Mod that are more like a stretchy connector then a piece of rope of a specific length?

Hm, I can't think of a game that had rope that acted realistically that had physics applied to it as well. Either the ropes a solid object or it's a stretchy piece of elastic/2D multiple part wiggly thing.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 03, 2013, 05:24:38 am »

I cant think of any real-time methods of simulating ropes. Game physics are similar to game graphics, A world of shortcuts, speed hacks and clever-but-inaccurate tricks to make things run in realtime.

Characters not acknowledging who you are

Everyone treats you exactly the same, regardless of what character/character-customisations you picked.

Example: I remember in Morrowind, there is that guy in Vivec (I think? Havent played it in some time) in the bar that hates Argonians. He doesnt care or react any differently if you are or are not an Argonian.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 03, 2013, 06:58:41 pm »

Let me add to this... Even as a joke this has gotten stale.

You played them, games where you should be one of the most famous people who ever existed and everyone treats you like a nobody and that is the joke.

Or where people you just met suddenly forget about you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 04, 2013, 02:30:20 am »

Another addendum would be characters knowing who you are despite never having met you.

Fallout: New Vegas for example. in which people react to you based on your reputation, even though there's no reasonable way for them to know what you look like. Especially when you're killing everyone...

Skyrim is another good one. The Dark Brotherhood send folk out to kill you with just a note saying "<Player> must be killed!" or some such. The Dark Brotherhood also don't seem to care when you steal a contract and join them, afterwards.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 04, 2013, 03:09:29 am »

Another addendum would be characters knowing who you are despite never having met you.

Fallout: New Vegas for example. in which people react to you based on your reputation, even though there's no reasonable way for them to know what you look like. Especially when you're killing everyone...

Skyrim is another good one. The Dark Brotherhood send folk out to kill you with just a note saying "<Player> must be killed!" or some such. The Dark Brotherhood also don't seem to care when you steal a contract and join them, afterwards.

It does kind of ruin their badass-ness when you join by virtue of being able to kill the ones sent to kill you.

It's worse in games where you become a leader of some faction, and still your the only guy who is sent out to solve problems. I want to command my underlings to go on inane tasks for pretty trinkets!
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 04, 2013, 03:36:35 am »

It does kind of ruin their badass-ness when you join by virtue of being able to kill the ones sent to kill you.

It's worse in games where you become a leader of some faction, and still your the only guy who is sent out to solve problems. I want to command my underlings to go on inane tasks for pretty trinkets!

There was a pretty cool mod for Oblivion that let you, post main quest, to join the Mythic Dawn and eventually rise to the top of it. In the final phase, you led them on what's basically open, though clandestine, war against the Empire, and it was using a kinda turn-based strategy kinda thing, with a menu in which you would send acolytes on missions to terrorize peasants, bribe officials, that kinda thing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 04, 2013, 05:05:16 am »

There was a pretty cool mod for Oblivion that let you, post main quest, to join the Mythic Dawn and eventually rise to the top of it. In the final phase, you led them on what's basically open, though clandestine, war against the Empire, and it was using a kinda turn-based strategy kinda thing, with a menu in which you would send acolytes on missions to terrorize peasants, bribe officials, that kinda thing.

Ah, right. I remember a similar mod for Morrowind that let you join House Dagoth. You went around assassinating all the main characters to pave the way for Dagoths return.

I can't remember if I have mentioned this one here (just to keep this on topic) but I find it annoying when games give you multiple ways to do things that all lead to the same outcome, whether good or evil. I know how much a story can branch if you start divergent parts and it's a lot of writing but it's still annoying.

My main example is in Neverwinter Nights 2 when you go through the whole trial against the villains henchmen. You spend time gathering all this evidence to clear your name. In the end none of it matters because if you win the villains call a duel to the death and if you lose you end up doing the same. It wouldn't have to be that much different but I'd like it so, if you win, you see the henchmen sent to jail and/or executed for their crimes instead of calling for a duel. If you lose the duel proceeds as a fight you could've otherwise avoided (Making sure to make winning the trial give more XP then losing it and fighting the extra enemies).

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 324