Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518628 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #330 on: June 20, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »

Inaccurate Dialogue Options
I've been playing Mass Effect 1 and this annoys me to no end.  When the game gives you a choice of what to say, it doesn't tell you what you will say.  Rather, it gives you a few words that give a vague indication as to the tone of what you will say.  Often I will choose the option that just "No"  or something similar, and Shepherd will say something complete different that sort of means no!  It's difficult to actually talk when you only have a vague idea of what you will say.  This is so incredibly annoying, because it wouldn't be any harder to just have a menu with actual sentences instead of than a silly wheel with 3 words!
SW:TOR was the absolute worst for this.  Duo'd through it with a friend and we were constantly mocking each other when our characters ended up saying things that neither of us would ever have opted for (often the complete opposite in intent/tone), due to the deceptive or ambiguous conversation options.  Bioware seem to like it though.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 20, 2013, 01:35:36 pm »

I'm amused how frequently Bioware comes up here.

Just goes to show that they made almost good games. Good enough for us to care, but not good enough to not flop on their face.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2013, 01:40:35 pm »

I'm amused how frequently Bioware comes up here.

Just goes to show that they made almost good games. Good enough for us to care, but not good enough to not flop on their face.

In my official review of Jade Empire I basically says: "Plotting and predictable this game is an extremely generic bioware game wrapped in a very interesting shell. Every second you play this game you will want to be playing the exact same game except done better"

I think it is better to say that Bioware consistently underperforms.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 20, 2013, 01:56:33 pm »

Not every single time, though. Some of their games are genuinely good, but then executive meddling.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 20, 2013, 01:57:13 pm »

Not every single time, though. Some of their games are genuinely good, but then executive meddling.

So basically they had genuinely good games, and then executives meddled... and thus they underperformed.

Bioware is like everyone's favorite Silver Medalist.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 20, 2013, 01:58:16 pm »

So basically they had genuinely good games, and then executives meddled... and thus they underperformed.

I have researched ME/ME2/ME3 development to publishing process.
I got depressed and didn't want to play anymore.
So many cuts... so many ahem... corrections
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 20, 2013, 02:01:34 pm »

Any specific links so I could get sad too?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 20, 2013, 02:02:50 pm »

Any specific links so I could get sad too?

I'll see if I can track some down after work. It's been a while...

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 20, 2013, 02:54:40 pm »

Lame manuals
Seriously, nothing makes a game feel cheaper than having a no-effort manual printed on toilet paper. I'm not expecting a damn novel like the things that come with Blizzard games, but I'd like to see more than two slips of paper explaining the controls. And don't say that it costs more, because Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks had a beautiful manual while costing the same as CoD: Modern Warfare Mobilized, which had a shit manual.
I remember that one of the great joys of buying a new game was to read the manual on my way home, eager to get to try out the features outlined, or to be given an idea of the basic plot line.  Now, I open the box and all I'm likely to see is a control scheme. 

When They Give You a Map, Why Don't They Let You Make Permanent Marks?
Skyrim is the worst for this. Why can't I mark the locations of stashes, or places where enemies spawn a lot? Why?
That's one of the things I like about Silent Hunter.  You get all these neat little tools for your map, so you can mark the location of the last known convoy location, estimate it's path, compare it to another map of known convoy routes, estimate it's destination, and then find a general area to head to in the hopes of interception.  And the whole time you feel like an actual navigator, completely immersed in the experience. In Far Cry 2, you had a GPS and a pull out map, and while it did pull you out a bit to have a moving icon on it, it felt much more immersive having a map out while driving, trying to figure out which turn to take. But yet now all the maps you have are completely separate from the gameplay, with no given explanation. 

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 20, 2013, 03:02:02 pm »

Lame manuals
Seriously, nothing makes a game feel cheaper than having a no-effort manual printed on toilet paper. I'm not expecting a damn novel like the things that come with Blizzard games, but I'd like to see more than two slips of paper explaining the controls. And don't say that it costs more, because Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks had a beautiful manual while costing the same as CoD: Modern Warfare Mobilized, which had a shit manual.
I remember that one of the great joys of buying a new game was to read the manual on my way home, eager to get to try out the features outlined, or to be given an idea of the basic plot line.  Now, I open the box and all I'm likely to see is a control scheme. 

Heck, I remember the good ol' NES days where not opening the manual often meant you had NO IDEA what was going on. I also have fond memories of the Baldurs Gate 2 manual, which was approximately the size of the dictionary I have on my desk.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 20, 2013, 03:55:45 pm »

Surprised no-one has mentioned this yet.

Games with 1024x768 default resolution
Like, seriously? In 2013? Why? How? I don't even...
Feeling down? Click Here!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 20, 2013, 03:57:12 pm »

Probably based on research that shows 1024x768 is the lowest common denominator of resolution these days. I mean, I still remember a time when 800x600 was the default for most games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 20, 2013, 04:58:14 pm »

Well, with my laptop, I have to run games at low resolutions to keep them at a good FPS rate.
And as for it being the default resolution, I find it easy to adjust the setting accordingly...
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 20, 2013, 05:01:48 pm »

What do you think should be the default resolution?  After all if the default resolution is higher than some people's computers can use then it's going to cause problems for them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »

As in, the game won't even load without editing a config file to lower the resolution.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 324